Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

sick single mama

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:21 PM
  • 7 Replies

Okay, so I've been sick before, but my family has always been able to help.

I live alone with my almost 3 y/o DS. I have the flu which includes a lovely sore throat, nausea and muscle cramps in my back that keep waking me up while i'm trying to sleep. I haven't found any medicine to make the cramping go away and I am so exhausted. I know this sounds petty and whiny but I really just don't know how to handle my child who has boundless energy while i feel so darn sick. (Yes i realize how pathetic i sound)

so, how do you other moms do it?

My mom, dad and sister all work full time now, and none of them have the time or energy to pitch in anymore which i totally understand, but it still sucks. my friends are all in college, married or single party animals or something that makes it so that they are not in a good position to help me.

and i hate, hate, hate asking for help from anyone other than family- maybe that's my problem.

anyway- how do you all cope when you are under the weather and nobody wants to/can help out? what do you do? i'm at my wits end, i was crying in the kitchen earlier cuz i'd tried going to the store to buy food and was too sick and in pain to get anything more than milk- so frustrating. so please, any great ideas? let me know!

by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I've been there. I would confine us to 1 room, usually the living room. I would put in my child's favorite movie and take out the best toys and let her play while I rested on the couch. Also you could try calling a small local grocery store and see if they deliver. We have a small store a few blocks from my home that actually delivers to sick and elderly people.

Feel better soon.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Mama-ing and being sick is very challenging....hope you feel better...

Bonneata
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I totally feel for you? Is the child's father around tp pitch in? Where does he go when you go to work? I know it sucks being sick and caring for a child on top of it. I hope you feel better soon. 

Mbpeaceful12
by Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this

You are NOT pathetic! You are sick with a child, plain and simple, and you need help. My situation is a bit like yours, but different in several aspects: (1) I am an only child, so no siblings; (2) My mother values soap operas over anything else until she needs to borrow money or tell me how successful my cousins are; (3) My husband works two jobs; and (4) I have a fourteen-year-old. My fourteen-year-old helps me with my three-year-old or shopping errands when I am down and out. I remember sending her to the store at ten years old because I had the flu and needed juices and medicine. She did it, and wants to do it again. Since it sounds like it is just the two of you, whenever he sleeps, you need to sleep. Whatever is in the house, if you can make do, make it work until you get better. I do not mean to make it sound simple or whatever, but if you cannot take care of yourself, then you cannot take care of your little one. In fact, do you have a slow cooker (or a large pot), chicken (or beef), noodles, vegetables (raw, frozen, or canned)? If you can get enough energy, you can fix a large pot of soup or stew that will hopefully last you for a couple of days.

I am so sorry that you're going through this! I pray that you will recover quickly.

Mama_Gillogley
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 9:44 PM

thanks everyone, you all made me feel so much better. :) i've been doing the movie/toy thing- poor kid has so much energy though and he's dying for attention, we colored this evening together and he really enjoyed that. i wish i had a slow cooker! i've been living off of cereal and mac and cheese and veggies and fruit and crackers and cheese... haha. I'm a big health nut but i just don't have the energy to make super nice healthy meals...  BUT i feel a lot better today than yesterday. i think i'm through the worst of it! *knock on wood*

thanks again ladies you all made me feel better.
MSN and Yahoo Avatar: smiley's really grateful

Pammi86
by Pamela on Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Feel better! We are all sick here! : (
splatz
by Sarah on Dec. 13, 2012 at 1:33 AM
1 mom liked this
It sucks big time. But you just have to keep in mind... your house is going to get destroyed and try to not worry about it until you are feeling better. Rest when yoi can. Put a movie on and turn off all the lights. Bring a bunch of pillows and blankets into the living room and hopefully he will relax and watch a movie while you try to rest. Break out some coloring books or other busy activities. You just have to get creative. Unfortunately I have been in your shoes quite a few times when I was a single mom.

Hope yoi feel better soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)