Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Has anyone else had a problem with their toddler eating dirt?

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:55 PM
  • 76 Replies

I would love some advice on how to get my 2 1/2 year old to stop eating dirt. Any time she manages to get outside she just gobbles it. I left my daughters at my mom and dad's yesterday while I went to a doctors appointment. When I got back to get the girls my 2 year old had a big ol' mud ring around her mouth! Today she has a diaper rash going and her poop is very gritty (to the point I have to rinse her down in the tub to make sure I get all the little granuals out.

My mom says it's because she has an iron deficiency. I haven't talked to her doctor about it, yet. Do you have any advice? Is this just a phase?

by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rhiannon1980
by Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:57 PM
There are times my ds does the same thing. According to my mom I did the same thing so I thought it was normal.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
snuggiewoogie
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Oh wow! Never heard of this before!

OliviasMommy611
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 7:16 PM
Contact your doctor!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mbpeaceful12
by Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I've heard of children eating dirt; hell, there are pregnant women who eat dirt. Maybe it is something to do with their iron level. My three-year-old used to eat some many books, I thought we had a rat. Her doctor told me to make eating paper unappealing, and I cannot remember how it was done-so it was a faze. What helped too, is school. Ridicule and ostracization are not good remedies at all, but lots of time, your child will be too embarrassed to eat dirt, crayon, paper, and so forth, if his or her classmates are not eating it. If you receive W.I.C., the agents will talk to you about it, if you bring it up.

Take care and good luck!

PinkButterfly66
by Member on Dec. 13, 2012 at 7:23 PM
2 moms liked this

Typically pica is because of a mineral deficiency.  I had a cat that ate clay cat litter.. he was anemic.  Once I got his iron levels up, he stopped.  Are her fingernail beds pale?  That's a sign of anemia.  They should be pink.

dani0007
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 7:27 PM
1 mom liked this

could be a phase or deficiency of some sort..... MAKE pediatrician look into it with a blood test

MamaMoopsie
by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Typically pica is because of a mineral deficiency.  I had a cat that ate clay cat litter.. he was anemic.  Once I got his iron levels up, he stopped.  Are her fingernail beds pale?  That's a sign of anemia.  They should be pink.

Her nails are pink and healthy looking. My older two daughters both have had bouts with anemia...so I generally see it coming, but I haven't noticed any of the signs in my 2 year old. Just to be on the safe side I think I'm going to make an appointment with her doctor.

Dazyjo
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 1:17 AM
I've always heard that kids (& dogs & cats & pregnant women) crave & eat strange things because its got something their bodies are missing. I wouldn't be too worried about it, lots of kids have eaten dirt, and as long as its clean dirt(away from any chemicals like fertilizer or gasoline) and you get plenty of fluid in her diet (to help with the gritty's) she'll be fine. And probably have the cleanest colon on the block! :-)
EmmaZate
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 1:29 AM
My daughter did it at 11 months, but she was still in the put-everything-in-your-mouth phase. Does she still try to put everything in her mouth? If she does that could be the cause. I hope you figure out what's up and are able to stop it! GL!
MamaMoopsie
by on Dec. 14, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Quoting EmmaZate:

My daughter did it at 11 months, but she was still in the put-everything-in-your-mouth phase. Does she still try to put everything in her mouth? If she does that could be the cause. I hope you figure out what's up and are able to stop it! GL!

Nope, other than still finger sucking she's out of the putting everything in her mouth phase.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)