Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Has anyone else had a problem with their toddler eating dirt?

Posted by   + Show Post

I would love some advice on how to get my 2 1/2 year old to stop eating dirt. Any time she manages to get outside she just gobbles it. I left my daughters at my mom and dad's yesterday while I went to a doctors appointment. When I got back to get the girls my 2 year old had a big ol' mud ring around her mouth! Today she has a diaper rash going and her poop is very gritty (to the point I have to rinse her down in the tub to make sure I get all the little granuals out.

My mom says it's because she has an iron deficiency. I haven't talked to her doctor about it, yet. Do you have any advice? Is this just a phase?

by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:55 PM
Replies (31-40):
Queen_Sheila
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I was watching Raising Hope and in a recent episode the girlfriend reveals she likes to eat dirt, it was a very funny episode, but I'm sure it's not funny at all when it's your child that's eating dirt. Hopefully it's just a phase and she'll get over it quickly.

TheGiggleGang
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 9:40 AM

take her to the Doctor tell them what's going on my son went thru this too and he would always eat paper but they said that when kids do this there is something missing in her Diet that her/his body needs!!!

amazzonia
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 9:50 AM

he might have an iron deficency, check it out

JOEJULA
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Take her to the Dr and find out why she might be eating dirt. I watch those health shows like monster inside me. The dirt has parasites and stuff. I would try not to let her eat it. I know you know this though. That show can really freak you out.

lifeforchrist
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:04 AM

go get her iron levels checked.

luckysevenwow
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:12 AM

My now 8 year old would do the same thing, it was even common to find her licking the bottom of peoples shoes if we didn't keep them put up (yuck). She was very healthy, just liked the taste of dirt. I did have her checked by her doctor.

onehotmama0910
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:28 AM

your mom could be right ask her doctor

OceanGoddess
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:31 AM
Pica
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:45 AM
It's called "pics", if memory serves, and can point to a mineral deficiency. Talk to the doctor about a multi-vitamin, and what food can supply the nutrients. Other than that, closer supervision and distraction to another activity are in order.
Pnukey
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Your mom's right. I used to do that when I was a kid. I had an iron deficiency.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN