Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Has anyone else had a problem with their toddler eating dirt?

Posted by   + Show Post

I would love some advice on how to get my 2 1/2 year old to stop eating dirt. Any time she manages to get outside she just gobbles it. I left my daughters at my mom and dad's yesterday while I went to a doctors appointment. When I got back to get the girls my 2 year old had a big ol' mud ring around her mouth! Today she has a diaper rash going and her poop is very gritty (to the point I have to rinse her down in the tub to make sure I get all the little granuals out.

My mom says it's because she has an iron deficiency. I haven't talked to her doctor about it, yet. Do you have any advice? Is this just a phase?

by on Dec. 13, 2012 at 4:55 PM
Replies (61-70):
Venae
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Take her to the doctor - it's called pica - caused by some sort of nutritional deficiency.

Momof697
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 8:23 PM

When I pregnant I ate ice normally I hate it but when I was pregnant I craved it.  My dr said that is a sign of low iron but never gave a nother test to see if that was what it was.  Come to find out it was. when I went to deliver I was 7.5 (they normally give blood at 8) I hemorhaged and ended up having 5 units of blood given to me.  Craving ice is a sign of low iron. expecially if you don't like it. I never wanted the salt though.

Quoting MamaMoopsie:

Quoting momtotwo08:

Iron deficiency. I have one also. Eating dirt, mud, ice, salt are all symptoms. Before I knew I had it I used to pour salt on ice and eat it. I was also tired a lot which is another sign.

My 1 year old had her 1 year check up and shots yesterday so I brought it up with the doctor (even though my 2 year old wasn't there) and the doctor asked if she seems to crave ice, which she does, and the doctor said it does sound like an iron deficiency. We have an appointment for next week.

eoewan
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 8:30 PM

My dd who is now 20 yrs old did this when she was 2 and  toddling around outside. Her pediatrician said it was a mineral deficiency. He said to give her Flintstones vitamins with minerals. Within 2 days our dd stopped eating dirt.

squeekers
by Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 8:38 PM

does she have Pika?

RetiredUSAFWife
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 8:40 PM

You may think I'm crazy, but in everyone's lifetime, there is a certain amount of dirt that we can't avoid. (Don't get me wrong), I'm not saying it's okay to eat dirt LOL, but what  I am saying is, if you knew what was in the things we eat, we'd not eat anything at all. It's part of life. My kids used to love playing in the dirt, and I'd let them play, they'd make mud pies etc etc. They're grown now with kids of their own, and they're fine. I'd say don't worry about it, unless she does it on a regular basis. Perhaps there is some kind of reason for it in her case.

callysmommy
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 8:50 PM
He has pica. It's iron deficiency. My toddler ate wood, paint chips and LOVED dirt. She contracted a germ called CDIFF from eating the dirt. Caused chronic diarrhea and had two relapses after meds. We had discovered the iron deficientcy after bringing her into the ER. I'm not saying he definitely does, but its definitely a sign. Especially in a breast fed baby.
PEEK05
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Yikes I don't know.  My son is low on iron but not enough to be considered anemic, just enough to need a more iron rich diet and more vitamin C, but he doesn't eat dirt lol.  I think it's just something some toddlers do. :P

Kaya529
by Member on Dec. 15, 2012 at 9:14 PM
I read a study a few years back that a little dirt eating in young children can actually oromote brain growth. Though I think your daughter is eating more than what they were referring to.

Talk to your doctor.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tiffanyrachelle
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 9:15 PM
Take get to the dr! She has a mineral deficiency.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PaganMom2285
by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Its Pika. Its a vitamin imbalance. She's not getting enough of one or two vitamins and her body is craving them to the point where she'll consume anything her toddler instincts and mind tell her will fix it. Get her to a Dr and seek help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)