Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

i'm at a lose about my daughter and milk

Ok, my baby girl is 9.5 months old, and she get between 3-4 bottles a day, depanding on if she wakes during the night for that 4th bottle.  Ok so I had pumped my breast milk for her for the first 5 weeks of her life,  plus she go formula too because I wasn't getting enough milk out for her.  I was perfectly ok with that because she go the breast milk for a little time.  After the 5 weeks it got too much for me, so I switched her to just formula.  My mother-in-law keeps telling me that when my daughter turns 10 months I should starting giving her an 0.5-1 oz of 1% or 2% cow milk once a day until she is a year old then give her the whole milk that she will need.  She did that is my husband, so she thinks it's okay to do so.  I can't have whole milk becuase I get sick from it for some reason, and it was even worse when I was pregnant so I don't even know how she is going to be with the whole milk.  Me, my little sister, or my mom can not have whole milk because we all get sick from it so I don't know.  My daughter's doctor said I won't know until I try it with her.  So I'm at a lose here with it all.

by on Dec. 15, 2012 at 11:09 PM
Replies (11-20):
redvelvet42
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 9:23 AM

i nursed all of my babies. but, i thought babies who were fomula fed had it until they were 1 yr, then whole milk, and by the time they are around 3 yrs is when you transition to 2% milk.

i am lactose intolerant and do not drink any milk at all unless its on cereal. but for my babies as they got older i transitioned them from breastmilk, to silk organic milk or lactaid milk just in case they had sensitivity or allergy to cow's milk.

notjstanothrmom
by Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I think listening to other people is the dumbest thing anyone can do. It is the downfall of so many people.

If your family has a history of a strong milk allergy, I would not introduce it for a long time and certainly not before a year old.

colins_mom
by Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 9:29 AM
I had to mix ds formula with milk to get him to drink milk.... But I didnt do that,till he was just about 1. Try her on whole milk and if she reacts talk to her dr.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
trinitysmama33
by Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I think I'll wait she is 12 months, then do just one bottle a day with a  in it to see how she does, and I think I'll give her toddler formula too just to be on the safe side until she is older.

MrsBright24
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 12:09 PM

wait until 1y/o for reg milk....

jgates1111
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Does she take a soy formula or a lactose formula? I would wait til she turns 1 before giving any millk, if she cant do a lactose formula then ask her dr about giving her cows milk when she turns 1. My son had o have goats milk or soy milk for a few months because his body couldnt handle cows milk now he does great with it.

happy2bmom25
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 12:23 PM

what do you think formula is?????

Quoting stickyfingers:

just keep her on formula for a year...giving her milk early can cause a milk allegry. its your baby do what you feel is right.

babygirlsmom314
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 12:29 PM

No don't give her milk until she is a year old.  When giving a baby milk before a year can possible cause problems for the baby a little later in life.

jgates1111
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 12:32 PM

BUMP!

stickyfingers
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 12:49 PM
i think it NOT straight cows milk. do you know what she is feeding her?

Quoting happy2bmom25:

what do you think formula is?????

Quoting stickyfingers:

just keep her on formula for a year...giving her milk early can cause a milk allegry. its your baby do what you feel is right.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN