Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Nail Biter

Posted by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 12:47 PM
  • 13 Replies

Hello.  My 3-yr. old son has been biting his nails pretty bad.  Do any of you have any ideas on how to stop a child from biting  their nails?  I feel like I have tried everything, from trying to distract him to using specific nail polish that is supposed to help but hasn't.  I welcome any suggestions/ideas.

--Danielle

by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Dec. 16, 2012 at 3:40 PM
Is he doing it out of anxiety or boredom? I'm still working on my 5 year old's habit but his happens when he's concentrating.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Spoiled_Blonde
by Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Sorry no help here.. My kids don't bite they pick their cuticles until they have raging hangnails... Ugh.. lol

trish_odi
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 8:02 AM
Don't know what to say I know I was a thumb sucker and my family tried everything nothing worked just t grew out of it . And I wouldn't put anything on the nails think about it they are putting that in there mouths and we don't know what the longer harm could be . In time probably grow out of it.
DazeDelights
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 8:04 AM
I have no idea my son is also a nail biter
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrsBright24
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 12:12 PM

turpentine

jgates1111
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 12:34 PM

My family would put hot sauce on my nails and that worked for me, I stopped biting them til i had my son

Janet
by Ruby Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Not much you can do. I have a nail biter too.

luvmybug
by Amanda on Dec. 17, 2012 at 7:47 PM

there's not much you can really do, sorry to say. i used to be a nail biter up until i was about 15, then i finally kicked the habit.

dkvhensley
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 10:32 PM

My brother bit his nails till one day my mom asked him when he was going to stop. He said,"In September." one day he asked if it were September and when he found out it was, he stopped right then! Must be a mind thing.

Superlaura328
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 5:09 PM

I'm 28 and I've been biting my nails all of my life. I am able to stop for brief periods of time (like a month or two at a time) but I always end up going back to it. If you find a way to stop it, let me know lol. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN