Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hello.  My 3-yr. old son has been biting his nails pretty bad.  Do any of you have any ideas on how to stop a child from biting  their nails?  I feel like I have tried everything, from trying to distract him to using specific nail polish that is supposed to help but hasn't.  I welcome any suggestions/ideas.

--Danielle

by on Dec. 16, 2012 at 12:47 PM
Replies (11-13):
DanielleSC
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Thanks everyone for your advice.  

MichelleMc
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Its nerves & sadly most things won't/don't work. There is the nasty tasting stuff, hot sauce, etc. No matter what, they will go right back. I have been a nail bitter for years, and you will just go right back to it. It is your stress reliever. I have done it since I was really little too. Bringing it up a lot won't help either. It will just make them do it more.

The only think I can suggest is distraction( not pointing out that they are doing it ). Seeing that they doing it, so doing something or having them do something.

DanielleSC
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for the advice.  Yes, my son does it when he's stressed, nervous, or anxious, from what I've noticed.  I put this nail polish on him to prevent him from doing it and he does go back to it, doesn't do anything.  So I think the hot sauce wouldn't work either, you're right.  I hope he does kick the habit, though.  I want him to have some nails!  lol 

--Danielle

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)