Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 11 year old has gotten her period!

Posted by   + Show Post

Well I'm desperate for some advice from Mom to Mom about how to deal with my daughter getting her period. For some reason I was under the impression that when a girl gets her first period that it should last a few days and be slight, but my daughter has had it for over a week now and as it looks like it's not heavy I'm beginning to wonder. She is confused and frankly so am I. Can anyone share some of their own experiences? I don't know if I should be concerned.

Tammy

by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 7:48 AM
Replies (11-20):
steph.sublette
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I got mine at 12. It was really bad, i was throwing up for 2 days, and i believe the flow lasted for almost 10 days. I would start to worry if its still very heavy after 2 weeks.

Melissa_4
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I got my first on 11/28 the year I was 13 (birthday 8/1); Mine lasted for a full week and was like a normal period, not light.  If her period lasts longer than a week, I'd take her to the gyno.

jgates1111
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 12:23 PM

I got mine at 13, it was really light and only lasted 3 days. It wasnt regular until i was 16 and then it evened out.

k4m7d93
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I was 11 when I got my first period, mine lasted for two weeks and by then my mom was nervous and brought me to the doctor. My doctor said it was normal and nothing to worry about, it takes time for it to become regular or change from light to heavy. Nothing to worry about from my experience!

Pooobaihr
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I was 10 when I started my period. It was very heavy. It is still heavy to this day.  My period lasted for about 6 days and then ended.  Everyone's first time is different. Some take a while to get on a schedule. Other's never get on one.  Just depends on her body.

jonnlilithsmom
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 2:34 PM

my first half dozen periods were very light... I didn't even realize what they were until later... the first REAL period lasted several days, was heavy, and caused bad cramping and the works...

I wouldn't worry just yet, but consider an appointment for her with your OB/GYN if this first one doesn't end soon.

annasmom1234
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Hi Tammy-I'm not a member of this group, but your tagline snagged me immediately.  My daughter was an early bloomer, and started her cycle at age 10.  She also had a DD cup size bra then as well.  I know, I know, but I took her and professionally got her fitted or I wouldn't have believed it myself!  Anyway, her cycle is VERY heavy.  I get her the thickest pads there are with wings, and she still has to throw away about a pack of underwear per cycle.  I talked to my gynocologist about this, and she said that a girl's cycle will level out in about a year as far as regularity/flow.  I even asked if I needed to bring in my daughter, and she said unless she is sexually active or there is a serious problem-16 years old is fine for the initial exam.    I think your baby is pretty normal.  Just have her track her periods on a little personal calendar for about 6 months or so and have her notate the date of her cycle beginning and ending, if she has severe cramps, and if she has a heavy or light flow.  Also, if she is having cramps, encourage her to take an aleve before it gets too severe.  Hope this helps!  I know it's scary.

NiCo86
by Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 2:40 PM
sounds normal. i was 13 and had a lpng (10 days) and heavy period. i would just explain that her body needs to get used to it abd it will take time to regulate :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
2-4Keeps
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Well I had mine when I was 9, I know that's young but that's the age my body decided it was time. I hated having it at such a young age. I tried to avoid gym class since we had to change in front of one another and I knew the girls would notice the large hammock I had back then which we know as Pads. Thankfully now they have unnoticeable ones so your daughter can get away with not letting others know until she's ready to share the news.

blondie805
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Give it a few more days. If it is still going strong and it's been 2 weeks, then, I'd check with a doc. If she's in pain, you know what to do. Everyone is different.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)