Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 11 year old has gotten her period!

Posted by   + Show Post

Well I'm desperate for some advice from Mom to Mom about how to deal with my daughter getting her period. For some reason I was under the impression that when a girl gets her first period that it should last a few days and be slight, but my daughter has had it for over a week now and as it looks like it's not heavy I'm beginning to wonder. She is confused and frankly so am I. Can anyone share some of their own experiences? I don't know if I should be concerned.

Tammy

by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 7:48 AM
Replies (21-30):
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Dec. 17, 2012 at 3:46 PM

My daughter was 11 when she started but she wouldn't flow heavy and would only go for a few days. It wouldn't come every month. It was like that for a yr and then when she was 12 it started coming regularly every month. Every girl is different. I was worried and asked the Dr, but he says it's normal.

sweetmissy_05
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I was 11 when I got mine for the 1st time.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Dec. 17, 2012 at 5:40 PM
I would take her to her dr if your concerned
pristine729
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 5:43 PM
All I remember is that I was 11. I don't remember how the first one was, but I remember my periods being heavy and I threw up every month...and hot and cold flashes
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tommyfan5
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 6:18 PM

I got my period at 11 and it was always over a week long (like 10-12 days) and it was always very very heavy...and it was that way until I was about 15 and the doctors couldnt find any reason why...just try to make her comfortable and maybe ask a doctor about it...maybe they can help your daughter more than mine helped me :)

jadedcynic
by Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 6:36 PM
My daughter just turned 10 today and she started last week.
Janet
by Ruby Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 6:54 PM

When my daughter first got her period at age 12. She really went so heavy it just poured out of her! We know sooner put a pad on her she filled it up. I took her to the ER and they said it was normal. It was scary though.

KRIZZ25
by Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 6:58 PM
my 11 year old got hers to..i would wait and see if it goes away ..and wen it comes back.
swmmra
by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Unless she is beginning to act lethargic, I wouldn't worry about it. As many other responders said, the first period can range from light to heavy flow. Unless she is doing this regularly, there isn't much that can be done. Just chart her flow on your calendar. If heavy like this happens every time, or she has it more often then she should, take her in to the dr. 

TAG_ur_it
by Member on Dec. 17, 2012 at 8:01 PM

when i was younger, mine would last 10 days.    4-10 days is perfectly normal.  i wouldn't worry unless it lasts more than 2 weeks and is heavy.  if it doesn't stop and you're concerned, then get her in to a gyn who is use to dealing with preteens. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)