Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My 11 year old has gotten her period!

Posted by   + Show Post

Well I'm desperate for some advice from Mom to Mom about how to deal with my daughter getting her period. For some reason I was under the impression that when a girl gets her first period that it should last a few days and be slight, but my daughter has had it for over a week now and as it looks like it's not heavy I'm beginning to wonder. She is confused and frankly so am I. Can anyone share some of their own experiences? I don't know if I should be concerned.

Tammy

by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 7:48 AM
Replies (31-40):
Aishamusty
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Quoting Nunyabusiness:

It takes awhile for cycles to regulate. For her first one this sounds normal. It can take a few years for it to be "normal".

But you can still talk to a doc

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Everyone is different. A great book for her is called The Care and Keeping Of You. It's an american Girl book.

SparklingHope
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:36 AM

It does at first take a while for it to cycle normally..though my sister is 19 and has to be on a pill to regulate her cycle otherwise she'll have hers for like 2 weeks. 

Kaylawv2
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:39 AM
Like pp said its normal for it to occur. My period didnt regulate until I had my first child in my early twenties. If she has prolonged bleeding and its heavy take her to a gyno. I was on iron supplements all of my teen yrs for anemia due to heavy bleeding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emeraldangel2.0
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Quoting Nunyabusiness:

It takes awhile for cycles to regulate. For her first one this sounds normal. It can take a few years for it to be "normal".

this

Rebecca-vi

My Blog                                          Head Admin

supercarp
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I started getting mine when I was 11 and it lasted 7 days. I only had it once or twice a year until I was 18, but they lasted 7 days. I was tall for my age. Girls tend to start when they reach 100 lbs, but nowadays with all the hormones in meat and milk and pseudoestrogens in plastics, kids are starting earlier.

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I would suggest getting her a book and if you are still concerned to make a doctor's appointment. My first period was super light and very dark. Everyone has different experiences. Mine regulated quickly but I have friend's who took over a year to regulate

Maevelyn
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:30 PM

It's probably not really her first, she most likely had light discharge before that she didn't recognize or notice. I was you dd and she will get by. I had really bad periods from the time I was that age. If she has trouble managing them or she begins to experiene heavy cramping please take her to your OB and see about getting her on a light bc. I know as moms we don't want to do it but if it stays that bad I would. 

Sewsofun
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:23 PM
I got mine at 10 1/2 and the first time I got it it was very light but then I started bleeding heavy almost constantly,for an entire year. it was awful, I was exhausted and none of my friends had their periodyet. but the doctor said it was normal. If that happens to my daughter I might see if putting her on the pill brings her some relief
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
littlelamb303
by Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:09 PM

my dd got it at age 12 and it would last a while, sometimes short.  It is normal.  Do not worry.  Eventually she will get on a regular schedule

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)