Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 11 year old has gotten her period!

Posted by   + Show Post

Well I'm desperate for some advice from Mom to Mom about how to deal with my daughter getting her period. For some reason I was under the impression that when a girl gets her first period that it should last a few days and be slight, but my daughter has had it for over a week now and as it looks like it's not heavy I'm beginning to wonder. She is confused and frankly so am I. Can anyone share some of their own experiences? I don't know if I should be concerned.

Tammy

by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 7:48 AM
Replies (41-50):
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Everyone is different...I came on at 10 and so did my dd's....hope things will work out....just give her time to to adjust to the changes and even talk to your drs. if more concerned....sometimes at first it takes time for things to level off....but check with your drs.

lexxie28
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 6:32 PM

It is normal for it to be wonky at first. She may not have it again for months. If you are concerned take her to the doctor. 

Mel0dy
by Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Mine was not normal for a few years. It can take a long time. I would not really worry much 

tomatoqueen
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 6:57 PM

I had my first between 9 and 10...and it was heavy. Keep records and talk to her doctor if you are concerned.

GiggleBellies
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:51 PM

i got my first period when i was 9 and it was very heavy,every one is different, id talk to her doctor about it

Sweet_Carol_126
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:04 PM

I began at 11 as well and I had full periods.  Kids are also starting periods earlier now.  I had explained to my daughter before she was that old.  I explained to one of my granddaughters when I found she was developing and her mother hadn't yet told her about the menstrual period.  I believe parents need to be honest and tell them prior to it is likely to have a period.  My aunt had hers about 11 or 12 and had been playing in the barn and jumping off a rope and she thought she was injured.  It was embarrassing when she ran back and said she had hurt herself down there, but no one told her.  she had been living with a grandmother or an aunt at the time.  No child should have that situation.  You might need to call the doctor if it is over a week though.   i REMEMBER once getting blood on a yellow skirt when my period started at school near the end of the day.  A boy ran up to me to tell me I had paint on my skirt as we had painting late in the day.  I put my sweater around my waist and tied it hiding the back of me.  I still had to go home on the bus.  fortunately he didn't seem to know and I hoped no one else had seen and did know.  I can't remember how long my period was but they were long and were heavy.  Teaching kids how to wear a tampon or how to insert it was strange as well.  Best to be totally calm and treat it as an everyday type thing.  Maybe even laugh about it a bit.  I had her lie on the floor and described it to her.  She could not squat and do it.  I liked the playtex tampons as the plastic container was slick and didn't bind up.  We only used them for very heavy when school was in and she was told to change it often.  She wore a pad too, but on lighter periods she could wear the pad only.  Swimming on lighter periiods was fine with a tampon. 

Freela
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:37 PM

It can take years for periods to get regular and to normalize. I got my first period when I was ten, and it was not what I would consider a light period- and it lasted for more than a couple of days! It did take a few months for me to get another one though, but to me in and of itself it doesn't sound abnormal. My periods were actually longer when I was just starting than they were as an adult and a mom... they used to last about six or seven days when I was starting out, now are usually about four.

krunchykorn
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:40 PM

my 8 year old sister has hers but it last for a few hours and it gone for another month.

kylajo_192
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 11:08 PM

When i first got mine i was like that. It will take a while. My cycle was never regular until after i had my son.

Uzma_mom_of_2
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:33 AM

My first was a normal one. Sucked to hell and back. Basically been that way since I was 11-12ish. If you are truely concerned take her to the Doctor, to make sure her hormone levels are okay.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)