Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My 11 year old has gotten her period!

Posted by   + Show Post

Well I'm desperate for some advice from Mom to Mom about how to deal with my daughter getting her period. For some reason I was under the impression that when a girl gets her first period that it should last a few days and be slight, but my daughter has had it for over a week now and as it looks like it's not heavy I'm beginning to wonder. She is confused and frankly so am I. Can anyone share some of their own experiences? I don't know if I should be concerned.

Tammy

by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 7:48 AM
Replies (51-60):
MrsRinehart2010
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:36 AM

How long is over a week? I would worry if it was like 2 weeks though even now being a adult I would  worry but i worry easily

Jessica198027
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is only 9 but I remember when I started I had mine for a week and a half and it was heavy the whole time. She has not started hers yet, but she has known what it is and why it happens since she was 3. And she knows the times it can last vary and how much comes out varies too. I had my 1st one and then after always went 3 months without it every time until after I had my daughter then it was every month after that and she was my last kid.

SlapItHigh
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Sorry, no experience but here's a bump.

Nunyabusiness
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Aishamusty:

Quoting Nunyabusiness:

It takes awhile for cycles to regulate. For her first one this sounds normal. It can take a few years for it to be "normal".

But you can still talk to a doc

What? You can??? So glad you informed me of this.

heartagram_girl
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 7:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Make her an appointment with an ob/gyn. My grandmother did that for me when I started my period- I was 11 too. I remember the doctor telling me that when a girl first gets her period, it isnt regular. It could last 2 days or 2 weeks. I am sure there is nothing wrong, but still, better to be safe than sorry. And congrats to your daughter!

mariem75
by on Dec. 24, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Well even though 11 is quite young it is in the normal range I believe the youngest age in the range is 9. Even though it is within the normal age range if you have anyother concerns I personally do not think it would be jumping the gun to take her to her Doctor that way you could get all the facts straight from a proffesional. Maybe that will ease her mind and yours and in the instance something is off then you acted quickly and in medical situations time is everything. I hope this information helps you. God Bless you and your Daughter!

splatz
by Sarah on Dec. 24, 2012 at 7:06 AM
Sounds normal to me. It will take awhile for her body to adjust.

Good luck!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
preacherskid
by Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I was about 11 when I started my period.  The flow was wonky (always has been) heavy for one or two days then super light, sometimes stopping for a full day then restarting.  My cycles remained very irregular until I had children, and breastfed.  Now that my dd is cutting back, my cycles are getting irregular again :P. There is a wide range of normal, keep an eye on it and if it seems to cause her real issues for several months then you want to call your obgyn.

hopealways4019
by Bronze Member on Dec. 25, 2012 at 4:20 PM
My daughter started her period at 11 too. Just make sure y'all keep track of her period date each month. Make sure she have her pads or whatever she prefers. And she practice good hygeine. She ain't sexually active yet? So no need for bc.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ktp111
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Quoting tcorbs:

Well I'm desperate for some advice from Mom to Mom about how to deal with my daughter getting her period. For some reason I was under the impression that when a girl gets her first period that it should last a few days and be slight, but my daughter has had it for over a week now and as it looks like it's not heavy I'm beginning to wonder. She is confused and frankly so am I. Can anyone share some of their own experiences? I don't know if I should be concerned.

I can feel for your daughter, when i got my first one i was sleeping aand was in so much pain from cramping. the whole bed was soaked and my periods sometimes lasted for over 13 days, my mother didn't teach anything about it, i learned about it in school, but i thought it was a one time thing little did i know i would be getting it every month. I definately suggest you take her to a GYN and at least get pain killers, the doctor could give her something else if she needs, but i sufferred for over 40 years of bad periods, emotionally you should support her even if she's acting out as the whole pschyc thing that goes along with it is even worse than the bleeding in my case.Mood swings, especially the onset of it each month, i never knew when mine was coming but i got it every month just not on relible dates that could be predicted by ovluationn.You should be concerned in my mind as someone who went through all of this bad periods are true as i've explained-maybe some other mom's can give better advice but i have to say you should take her to the gYN

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN