Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

i think i didnt get my kids enough xmas presents. i feel so gulity

Posted by   + Show Post

hi my name is kayla i am a 24 yr old momma with 2boys and a 3rd on the way.  we are a very low income family. i try my best to get my boys what they want for xmas. when i was little i remember under the xmas tree was filled with xmas presents 4 me b4 my sisters were born so i feel i owe my boys the same treatment because even when my sisters were born we still had alot of presents each (may have been alot to me then) but i just feel that my boys deserve the same treatment and my momma and us was a low income family to but my momma always found away to get us alot of things for xmas and i want the same for my boys but somehow i cant seem to aford alot for them. i always get so much guilt built up its unreal and i know they are only 3yrs and 1yr old and dont understand  that well and is happy with anything they get but its the thought that will always b in the back of my head. maybe there is away to manage my money better??

by on Dec. 17, 2012 at 12:04 PM
Replies (21-30):
splatz
by Sarah on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I 100% agree! Last year we got the kids a bunch of stuff for Christmas. That night we asked my then 6 year old son what his favorite gift was. He said his nativity scene from Grandma. He abolutely adored it because we went as a family with his grandparents to a live nativity scene a few weeks before Christmas.  Perfect example of why time beats presents. :)

Quoting la_bella_vita:

Do not feel guilty. You could always buy coloring books (if your children like them) and wrap them up too. Little things that could be fun to open. Christmas is not about the number of presents but the memories you create with your children.

little.worthen
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:06 PM

i think one present is good. its better than nothing. i only got my boys 5 things each and one of them is clothes. you should do the "something you want, something you need, something to wear, and something to read" thing. that saves a lot of money

JanuaryBaby06
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:12 PM

i wouldnt worry about the amount that you got them. just get  what you know they will love and use the most. i have 2boys and we do the want need wear read thing here!

ANSLUASI
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:06 PM

What matters is that you make Christmas magical and wonderful and fun, not how much is under the tree. Trust me, they will remember making cookies and paper chains and singing songs and playing games and any silly little traditions you my have much more than they will rmember how much loot they got.

If your gifts are well chosen things that your kids will love and spend a lot of time using, that is all that matters. Don't think you have to buy stuff just because Toys R Us is loaded and the TV says kids need all that junk. They don't. They need you, they need family, and they need love. The rest is fluff and not at all what Christmas is supposed to be about.

endoftheworld
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Christmas is NOT all about the presents. Its more about decorating the tree, making homemade ornaments, reading them the night before Christmas, (which you can find online and just read it off the computer for free), hot coco playing in the snow, etc.

Pink.Frosting
by Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Ok.  Advice from someone who has been a mom a long time.  You're stressing waaaay too much over this.  Your boys will be happy.  That's all that matters.  What you got for Christmas a decade or more ago doesn't matter now.  If you're happy, you're boys will be happy.  If you go through life with them with an attitude that what you have and can provide isn't good enough, you'll end up giving them issues that will effect their happiness.  Don't do that.  Calm down and don't stress.  Life isn't about getting a certain number of presents. 

unsuspected
by Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Kids don't need presents.  They need you.

Don;t go into debt over gifts on a holiday.

make time and traditions for your kids to look forward too.  making sugar cookies is close to free, driving around looking at Christmas lights is mostly free, singing Christmas songs together is free, reading The Night Before Christmas or The Bible is free, etc ... find something that works for you and make it a family tradition they can look forward to every year and those are the things that grow a happy family, NOT stuff.  

“He’s not perfect. You aren’t either, and the two of you will never be perfect. But if he can make you laugh at least once, causes you to think twice, and if he admits to being human and making mistakes, hold onto him and give him the most you can. He isn’t going to quote poetry, he’s not thinking about you every moment, but he will give you a part of him that he knows you could break. Don’t hurt him, don’t change him, and don’t expect for more than he can give. Don’t analyze. Smile when he makes you happy, yell when he makes you mad, and miss him when he’s not there. Love hard when there is love to be had. Because perfect guys don’t exist, but there’s always one guy that is perfect for you.” ~Bob Marley
unsuspected
by Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Quoting JanuaryBaby06:

i wouldnt worry about the amount that you got them. just get  what you know they will love and use the most. i have 2boys and we do the want need wear read thing here!

This is our first year with the 4 Gift Rule and I LOVE it, I wish I had known about it years ago.  I have 4 kids, so it can be tough keeping things 'fair' ... LOL impossible but you know ... The 4 Gift Rule just levels the playing field and shopping was so much less stressful this year.  :oD  

“He’s not perfect. You aren’t either, and the two of you will never be perfect. But if he can make you laugh at least once, causes you to think twice, and if he admits to being human and making mistakes, hold onto him and give him the most you can. He isn’t going to quote poetry, he’s not thinking about you every moment, but he will give you a part of him that he knows you could break. Don’t hurt him, don’t change him, and don’t expect for more than he can give. Don’t analyze. Smile when he makes you happy, yell when he makes you mad, and miss him when he’s not there. Love hard when there is love to be had. Because perfect guys don’t exist, but there’s always one guy that is perfect for you.” ~Bob Marley
ameraznkimko
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:31 AM

You are a good mamma:) dont feel bad..things have been tough for my family this year too since I have been staying home with  my baby...I want to get everything for my two kids on Christmas because it was my favorite time of the year when I was young ..I had to pretty much put everything on credit card to buy their gifts but its worth it..dont be hard on yourself...

Krystle21
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 11:01 AM
I tell my kids Christmas isn't all about gifts its about spending time with your family and being Grateful for what u have. Gifts are just a plus. Since my kids are still young I can get then anything and they'll still be happy. Don't feel guilty as long a they have something I'm sure they'll be fine
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)