Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's Coffee Break Time! Hot Topic: Is Anonymous Going Too Far?

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:23 AM
  • 189 Replies
1 mom liked this

Welcome to Mom To Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

A few days ago, the hacktivist group known as Anonymous targeted the Westboro Baptist Church after WBC released plans to picket at the vigil for the  victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting. Anonymous took down the WBC's website and posted the phone numbers, email and home addresses of church members online. Anonymous has previously targeted the NATO and Church of Scientology websites along with many more.
                                                   To read more about it, click here.

1. Have you ever heard of the hacktivist group known as Anonymous?
  2. How do you feel about their ability to infiltrate websites and create havoc?
  3. Do you agree with their methods or do you think they are going too far?
  4. How would you describe them? Hacktivists? Vigilantes? Criminals? Heroes?

While you share your thoughts with us, be sure to let us know what you would
                                                       like us to serve you!

Be sure to check out these posts while you wait.

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
poshkat
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:50 AM
25 moms liked this
I have heard of them. My friend keeps posting about them and loads their videos on her page.

As long as they stick to hacking ass*****like they did this week I'm fine with it. They seem to only try to bring down ignorance.

In this case they have not gone too far imo.

They are a mix of all 4
mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:52 AM

I would like a hot apple cider. Now to the question I actually find it somewhat of irony that they did it to wbc and honestly I think they could have handled it better. Yes I feel that posting the members names and numbers online was a little extreme

Godspitgrl
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't particularly agree with them but I think the WBC is insane and if they would have picketed the school I would not have blamed someone at all for hitting them with their fist, cAr, or whatever else was handy. I get freedom of speech and all but this is children we are talking about its not even funny to think about. 

SevenKisses
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:57 AM
14 moms liked this

I think they are pretty awesome. It's awesome to know we have someone(s) like this. In a time where all of our lives are online and electronic, doesn't it come in handy to have some expert.... vigilante HEROES around :)

missretro13
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:02 AM
20 moms liked this

I anyone has gone too far it is the WBC! Why would they even think it is a good idea to picket at a place where so many young children have died. They needed to learn that lesson the hard way.

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Hot apple cider coming your way!

Quoting mmtosam06:

I would like a hot apple cider. Now to the question I actually find it somewhat of irony that they did it to wbc and honestly I think they could have handled it better. Yes I feel that posting the members names and numbers online was a little extreme

carterscutie85
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:07 AM
8 moms liked this

Although I don't agree with everything they do, I do agree with this.

Seriously. WBC took it too far trying to protest those funerals. They deserved what they got.

Dee0886
by New Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:12 AM
3 moms liked this

I've protested beside them, and if I lived near CT I'd be beside them today when they go to help keep WBC out..but to answer your questions:

Have you ever heard of the hacktivist group known as Anonymous? I have, and a lot of the time I support what they are doing, sometimes I think they go too far. I don't think thats the case with the WBC.

How do you feel about their ability to infiltrate websites and create havoc? It depends on where and why they are doing it.

Do you agree with their methods or do you think they are going too far? On a case by case basis.

How would you describe them? Hacktivists? Vigilantes? Criminals? Heroes? Hacktivists and vigilates.

zacmacsmomm
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:15 AM
4 moms liked this

Well, I haven't heard of them untill now.  I can't really say I have a problem with what they did to the WBC, those people are pure evil in my mind, hidding behind their religon to preach hate. 

meparty
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:19 AM
10 moms liked this

Thankgod someone finally took a stand against this ignorant group of terrorists.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)