Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's Coffee Break Time! Hot Topic: Is Anonymous Going Too Far?

Welcome to Mom To Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

A few days ago, the hacktivist group known as Anonymous targeted the Westboro Baptist Church after WBC released plans to picket at the vigil for the  victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting. Anonymous took down the WBC's website and posted the phone numbers, email and home addresses of church members online. Anonymous has previously targeted the NATO and Church of Scientology websites along with many more.
                                                   To read more about it, click here.

1. Have you ever heard of the hacktivist group known as Anonymous?
  2. How do you feel about their ability to infiltrate websites and create havoc?
  3. Do you agree with their methods or do you think they are going too far?
  4. How would you describe them? Hacktivists? Vigilantes? Criminals? Heroes?

While you share your thoughts with us, be sure to let us know what you would
                                                       like us to serve you!

Be sure to check out these posts while you wait.

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:23 AM
Replies (141-150):
JP-StrongForTwo
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I would like a pumpkin spice coffee

While I dont agree with WBC at all, beliefs, actions, none of it...

I also dont believe that their behavior is an excuse to stoop to their level. 

MamaFrankie
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:29 PM

I think it's funny TBH. It's about time these pricks get a taste of their own medicine. How are you protesting the victims who are babies...GTFOH .

alibrezzy154
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:39 PM

nope not far at all. 

SMG1120
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:00 PM

I have never heard of either of these groups so I did a little research. From what I can tell WBC is wrong in so many ways. I believe that everyone should have the right to choose what they want to believe no matter what that belief may be. I also believe that everyone has a right to express that belief but not at the expense of hurting others physically or emotionally. WBC has the right to believe what they want and to express that belief but I am with Anonymous on this one. WBC is not doing any good, all they are doing is adding to the problems of society and causing more hate. By saying what they did about the shooter being sent to spread gods hate by killing those people is so wrong and sick. Especially the children, they are 100% innocent in life and death and the last thing those families need is more pain added to this tragedy. I am definitely with Anonymous on this. Now I am going to do more research on Anonymous.

JKuney
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:02 PM
Actually hacking in all forms is considered illegal. There is a huge ethical debate in the computer world right now about white hat hacking (a person hacking for a company our the government). Although it is being used, technically it is still illegal.

Quoting newmom3012:

Actually - the act of hacking is not illegal.  It's only illegal to access federally protected websites or those protected by copyright or patent laws.....which WBC's website is not.  There are people who get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to do "benevolent hacking" on behalf of the government and the various government agencies.

I pose this question to you - would you take issue with this group hacking the computers of known sex offenders, sex traffickers, or pedophiles?  

Quoting smurfy88:

I just don't agree with it, they can have their knowledge, but their actions are illegal.

Quoting newmom3012:

The thing is they don't have power. They have knowledge. The same knowledge government hackers have. Did you know the government can read your emails without your permission? They say they don't but they do. They also have access to phone conversations and texts. We don't have any privacy rights so anonymous is just using their knowledge to further their agenda. Same with everyone.

Quoting smurfy88:

They might not deserve rights but a lot of us do and whose to say when anonymous is going to go too far, they shouldn't have that power.

Quoting newmom3012:

But the thing is. I could go to Topeka or whatever county they live in and google search their voter registration website. Their addresses are in there as well. The information didnt need to be hacked because its publicly available. I still think WBC are scum and don't deserve any of the rights that go along with being a citizen of the United States because they protest funerals of people who fight for those rights.

Quoting smurfy88:

Well like I said I don't agree with WBC, but this info wasn't obtained from a phone book, it was illegally hacked.

Quoting newmom3012:

Why is this not okay?  WBC finds out the whereabouts for PRIVATE FAMILY FUNERALS and goes and protests.....granted they're at public churches, but it's still a private family affair.  I think people should protest WBC in front of THEIR houses and see how they fucking like it.  Any btw - it's not a crime to publish information that could be obtained from a phonebook (aka public knowledge).

Quoting smurfy88:

I by no means agree with wbc, but I also don't agree with the anonymous hacking. I have never heard of them before, but what makes them think they have the right to hack into others personal information and pass it out. They are not above the law and they deserve to be charged for their crimes.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Uhura
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:17 PM

I think posting personal information was a bit too much, especially the phone numbers and home addresses.

Emails, not so much.

Of course, I can't feel a lot of sympathy for people who go to that church anyways.

Hot chocolate for me, please. Perhaps with a candy cane?

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

JKuney
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:17 PM
I have heard of anon before. I am against black hat or malicious hacking, however in this instance I laughed when I heard what they had done. I definitely think they did a good thing just because i think its deplorable what WBC was going to do. And I don't think they are anything other than hackers, but I say kudos to them!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Nothing for me. I admire Anonymous and I say more power to 'em.

rockinmomnwife
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Agreed!

Quoting missretro13:

I anyone has gone too far it is the WBC! Why would they even think it is a good idea to picket at a place where so many young children have died. They needed to learn that lesson the hard way.

littlelamb303
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:34 PM

That WBC is nothing but a hate group and I have NOOO problem with posting personal info. on monsters.  The fact that they get a tax exempt status really irritates me.  If anyone is the anti christ, it is them

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)