Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break Time! Hot Topic: Is Anonymous Going Too Far?

Welcome to Mom To Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

A few days ago, the hacktivist group known as Anonymous targeted the Westboro Baptist Church after WBC released plans to picket at the vigil for the  victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting. Anonymous took down the WBC's website and posted the phone numbers, email and home addresses of church members online. Anonymous has previously targeted the NATO and Church of Scientology websites along with many more.
                                                   To read more about it, click here.

1. Have you ever heard of the hacktivist group known as Anonymous?
  2. How do you feel about their ability to infiltrate websites and create havoc?
  3. Do you agree with their methods or do you think they are going too far?
  4. How would you describe them? Hacktivists? Vigilantes? Criminals? Heroes?

While you share your thoughts with us, be sure to let us know what you would
                                                       like us to serve you!

Be sure to check out these posts while you wait.

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:23 AM
Replies (151-160):
littleleesmom
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:55 PM
In this one case i think they rock. What wbc was and is doing is so wrong.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
angelmom224
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I never heard of them til a friend post the video. I didnt know they were a group. I think its fine hacking into those ignorant people website. Glad someone finally took them down. I wouldnt mind if they stopped them from protesting at a funeral ever again. The threat they made sounded like they would do harm and that I wouldnt condone. Violence is not the answer. 

Marimaru
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I've heard of them.  I'm on board with most of what they've done I've heard about.  I'm glad someone is doing SOMETHING.

I don't have any issue with what they did to the WBC people.  Those people have been violating the privacy of other people (I consider a funeral a private matter) for ages, so it's about time someone did something to them.

angelachristine
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I think it's great. Those Westboro freaks are hateful trash and I don't feel one bit sorry for them. 

TrouserMouse
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:21 PM

The only thing that bothered me about it is they named the minor children in the family.

schatzi869
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:44 PM

I think they are vigilantes and heroes...and they are awesome. 

LoveOfWisdom
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:39 PM
Short answer: in this case I think they did the right thing.
DandSGrandma
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:43 PM

I say, GOOD FOR ANONYMOUS!  The WBC (I hate to use the "BC", as I belong to a Baptist church), is nothing but a bunch of hate-mongers who pick on the defenseless to try and prove their "point" (which - BTW - is on top of their heads!).  As for what I would consider Anonymous - for this particular action - I would gladly call them HEROES!  They stopped WBC from their picketing strategy, and probably saved their lives as well!

BeAmour
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, they are trying to educate people about Big Brother, expose their secrets and now they're using their "powers" to good use.

Go Anonymous...

Serenity8310
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:06 AM
I think people better get behind Anonymous 95 % are good there's always a small percentage that play foul. I think that this is a trolling question to find out if any moms here hack with the hacktivists. We should be questioning the government and what they are up to and why they are drone bombing kids in other countries find something better to do!! I might not be able to hack but I stand behind the Anonymous and any whistleblower !!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN