Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break Time! Hot Topic: Is Anonymous Going Too Far?

Welcome to Mom To Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

A few days ago, the hacktivist group known as Anonymous targeted the Westboro Baptist Church after WBC released plans to picket at the vigil for the  victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting. Anonymous took down the WBC's website and posted the phone numbers, email and home addresses of church members online. Anonymous has previously targeted the NATO and Church of Scientology websites along with many more.
                                                   To read more about it, click here.

1. Have you ever heard of the hacktivist group known as Anonymous?
  2. How do you feel about their ability to infiltrate websites and create havoc?
  3. Do you agree with their methods or do you think they are going too far?
  4. How would you describe them? Hacktivists? Vigilantes? Criminals? Heroes?

While you share your thoughts with us, be sure to let us know what you would
                                                       like us to serve you!

Be sure to check out these posts while you wait.

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:23 AM
Replies (161-170):
Serenity8310
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:09 AM
How else will you show these criminals Anonymous is not a force to be reckoned with. Maybe you should educate yourself and quit being a sheeple

Quoting mmtosam06:

I would like a hot apple cider. Now to the question I actually find it somewhat of irony that they did it to wbc and honestly I think they could have handled it better. Yes I feel that posting the members names and numbers online was a little extreme

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Serenity8310
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:13 AM
Anonymous protects more children then the government does. They at least question the government of America. They are a global group protecting people accross the world and they do a good job of self policing. Can the government govern themselves ? These people don't get paid for what they do open your damn eyes

Quoting Godspitgrl:

I don't particularly agree with them but I think the WBC is insane and if they would have picketed the school I would not have blamed someone at all for hitting them with their fist, cAr, or whatever else was handy. I get freedom of speech and all but this is children we are talking about its not even funny to think about. 

Serenity8310
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:15 AM
I hope you mean WBC lol

Quoting meparty:

Thankgod someone finally took a stand against this ignorant group of terrorists.

Serenity8310
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:18 AM
Anonymous fight for your freedom and rights and protect children while people hide behind religion and rape them

Quoting Mom2five87:

"
A few days ago, the hacktivist group known as Anonymous targeted
the Westboro Baptist Church after WBC released plans to picket at the
vigil for the  victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting."

Maybe I have missed something here ... but why would they even do that?! That is just wrong. What point are they trying to make? I don't know anything about WBC.

Serenity8310
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:21 AM
1 mom liked this
High five well put !!

Quoting mommysangelface:

Ive heard of them. I talk to the every once in awhile. 

I know alot of people that can hack so for them to do it doesnt mean much to me.

Do i think they have gone too far?  NO! i dont. no one in authority is doing anything to stop WBC. They are not a church in my opinion. They are a hate organization.  Anonymous only targets those who seem to have no soul. Those who use their power for negative. 

Anonymous is a group of people who do not tolerate the exploitation of the innocent. Plain and simple. 

Anonymous has my full support and always will

We are Anonymous,
We are Legion.
We do not forgive.
We do not forget.
2012 December 21st Expect us.

Its.me.Sam.
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 3:04 AM
1 mom liked this

you know what... Anonymous is kind of shady.  they hack into peopless personal stuff..they have done things that cause problems for people and small business etc.
they may try to come off like they are all 'robin hood-ish'  BUT its also a bit scary to think that these guys could go ahead and hack some hospital and YOUR medical records could be relesed..or they could hack the Social Security offices and YOUR information could be released.
i think the best thing to do..the most effective thing to do to combat WBC is to ignore ignore ignore them.  block them when they do their ugly crap.  give them no media attention.
i have yet to see any actual crime they have broken - as in they have never harmed anyone or aything... so peacefully gathering to block them is an appropriate response.  and yes - i do think having them declared a hate group would be wise.. but i think they have to have crimes on the to do that. 

this kind of thing is tricky.  giving them attention and airtime just feeds them.  and stooping down to hack private personal info and release it is just sharing a bench with them...know what i mean.  gotta just give them nothing.  

MomOf5Angels63
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 3:30 AM

I have never agreed with WBC as they are far extreme in their 'beliefs' and I am glad that this happened to make them aware that more people are against what they are trying to 'push' than they would care to believe!! 

Anonymous does overstep some limits at times, but their intentions are not really to harm anyone, just bring more awareness to certain things and problems.. they just happen to be able to 'attack' harmlessly via the internet! :)

Its.me.Sam.
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Quoting MomOf5Angels63:

I have never agreed with WBC as they are far extreme in their 'beliefs' and I am glad that this happened to make them aware that more people are against what they are trying to 'push' than they would care to believe!! 

Anonymous does overstep some limits at times, but their intentions are not really to harm anyone, just bring more awareness to certain things and problems.. they just happen to be able to 'attack' harmlessly via the internet! :)

the caused a lot of problems for small business when they hacked into GoDaddy.  mom and pop stores suffered a bit.  i dont have a lot of info... just that.
what do people hope happens?   the WBC peoples names and addresses and phones numbers are released and then what... they get hassled and threatened and/or attcked??? thats not a GOOD thing in the end.  non-violently blocking them and ignoring them is much better IMO

meparty
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

yes.

Quoting Serenity8310:

I hope you mean WBC lol

Quoting meparty:

Thankgod someone finally took a stand against this ignorant group of terrorists.

aasmith88
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:24 AM

I haven't heard of them. As long as they keep targeting the piece of sh*ts than go for it. And as far as the WBC, they had it coming. Those families and community did not deserve WBC to be protesting for idiotic reasons. I think the world deserves to know who these "fake" Christians are. Let them feel the wrath and annoyance for while. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)