Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break Time! Hot Topic: Is Anonymous Going Too Far?

Welcome to Mom To Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

A few days ago, the hacktivist group known as Anonymous targeted the Westboro Baptist Church after WBC released plans to picket at the vigil for the  victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting. Anonymous took down the WBC's website and posted the phone numbers, email and home addresses of church members online. Anonymous has previously targeted the NATO and Church of Scientology websites along with many more.
                                                   To read more about it, click here.

1. Have you ever heard of the hacktivist group known as Anonymous?
  2. How do you feel about their ability to infiltrate websites and create havoc?
  3. Do you agree with their methods or do you think they are going too far?
  4. How would you describe them? Hacktivists? Vigilantes? Criminals? Heroes?

While you share your thoughts with us, be sure to let us know what you would
                                                       like us to serve you!

Be sure to check out these posts while you wait.

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:23 AM
Replies (171-180):
Acalhoun
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Yes I've heard of them.  I do think it is going a bit too far to post all of that info in one area.  

On the other hand, all of the info that they published is probably readily available public information.  Even if you have an unlisted phone number, you would be surprised how easy it is to get a hold of it.  There are many documents out there that you may not realize are in the public domain. Property tax documents for example. 

You can look up an address, find out the owner's names, the sale price, the amount of taxes paid each year, and so much more. So, in reality they are not revealing information that would not be able to be found otherwise, but it does make it a whole lot FASTER for someone with bad intentions.  For that reason I say it is going too far.

EcoErin
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 6:37 PM

If the Westboro Church didn't want their names, numbers email address posted, they shouldnt be picketting anything. The moment you put yourself in the press or search out press and attention, you put yourself in the line of hackers/paparazzi. Thats the deal.
I am all about freedom of speech, but the WBC is a cult and not a true spiritual organization. The WBC makes the KKK look like angels. (By that statement I am not condoning, or agreeing with the KKK at all, just a comparison)

Redwall
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Anonymous is great!  How do I enlist. They're my heroes!

AnotherKim
by New Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Quoting Threes.Company:

It's the WBC, therefore I fully support their message and point.

Here is the video from Anonymous.  Pretty badass. ;)

http://vimeo.com/55671721

I LOVE it!!! Anonymous is AWESOME.

AnotherKim
by New Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Why, why, why did I open this? I can't stand those demons.

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

This is Westboro Baptist Church's website. This is who Anonymous targeted.

Quoting Mom2five87:

"
A few days ago, the hacktivist group known as Anonymous targeted the Westboro Baptist Church after WBC released plans to picket at the vigil for the  victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting."

Maybe I have missed something here ... but why would they even do that?! That is just wrong. What point are they trying to make? I don't know anything about WBC.

AnotherKim
by New Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Quoting CrystalDawn2506:

Anon has warned them before about doing such things. Anon just banked on their warnings. This isn't the first time Anon has hacked WBC.

This is WBC reasoning video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IItx7QL1aoY

Anon video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHLQTB00j3E

I love Anon!!! 

Oh my god! She is beyond vile. I'll bet the hypocrite eats shellfish.

SlapItHigh
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:22 AM

1,no

2.not sure

3. prob too far

4. not sure

shashta102
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:42 AM

No! Because the church has gone to far

Serenity8310
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:52 PM
Hell ya you sed it sister

Quoting meparty:

yes.

Quoting Serenity8310:

I hope you mean WBC lol

Quoting meparty:

Thankgod someone finally took a stand against this ignorant group of terrorists.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Meh... if anyone deserved that it was the WBC. They have done some pretty horrible things. But protesting funerals of a bunch of innocent children just seems so much worse to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN