Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Whatcha think????

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:41 AM
  • 5 Replies

Poll

Question: Do they help most of the time?

Options:

Yes

No

Possibly

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 18

View Results

...Did you know.....

• A 1997 high school shooting in Pearl, Miss., was halted by the school's vice principal after he retrieved the Colt .45 he kept in his truck.
• A 1998 middle school shooting ended when a man living next door heard gunfire and apprehended the shooter with his shotgun.
• A 2002 terrorist attack at an Israeli school was quickly stopped by an armed teacher and a school guard.
• A 2002 law school shooting in Grundy, Va., came to an abrupt conclusion when students carrying firearms confronted the shooter.
• A 2007 mall shooting in Ogden, Utah, ended when an armed off-duty police officer intervened.

• A 2009 workplace shooting in Houston, Texas, was halted by two coworkers who carried concealed handguns.
• A 2012 church shooting in Aurora, Colo., was stopped by a member of the congregation carrying a gun.
• At the recent mall shooting in Portland, Ore., the gunman took his own life minutes after being confronted by a shopper carrying a concealed weapon. 2500 times last year alone legal gun owners stopped violent crime when confronted with it long before any police assistance ...
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
cookinmommyof1
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:38 AM
3 moms liked this
I think that if more responsible people carried guns that some tragedies like the mall shooting in clackamas, or, the vonmaur shooting in omaha, ne, and the terrible shooting at the school friday wouldn't have gotten so far. They need to arm principals, teachers, or custodians. Not everyone, but someone at every school needs to be properly trained and carry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleMc
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:03 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree that if people thought that someone was armed & could stop them, it would lessen the chances. If someone thought they would get shot and killed or wouldn't get thru the front door, they wouldn't do as many of these things. Or at least, there wouldn't me as many innocent killed.

Making everyone victims is all they were doing by lessening where law abiding citizens could have guns.

bupkie
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 7:41 AM

Quoting MichelleMc:

I agree that if people thought that someone was armed & could stop them, it would lessen the chances. If someone thought they would get shot and killed or wouldn't get thru the front door, they wouldn't do as many of these things. Or at least, there wouldn't me as many innocent killed.

Making everyone victims is all they were doing by lessening where law abiding citizens could have guns.

I don't think it would stop anything.  If someone intends to do harm, they will find some other way to do it.  If they know that they have less of a chance with a gun, they may escalate to other weapons such as bombs, which will then kill more people than guns would in the first place.   I certainly don't want to hear about bombs going off at schools.  And obviously, the perpetrator doesn't value their life, so whether or not they worry about being shot by someone armed isn't a deterrent, since most end up taking their own lives in these horrid acts.   It would be nice if there were an easy answer, but there isn't.   It's going to take a lot more prevention work than "arm everyone".

• Bupkie..... 

• ~~~ My philosophy on sharing info is that it's just free info (not advice) so please take it or leave it.  If it fits great!  If not, leave it on the ground and dance on it for fun!!! :) ~~~   thank you
MichelleMc
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Quoting bupkie:

Quoting MichelleMc:

I don't think it would stop anything.  If someone intends to do harm, they will find some other way to do it.  If they know that they have less of a chance with a gun, they may escalate to other weapons such as bombs, which will then kill more people than guns would in the first place.   I certainly don't want to hear about bombs going off at schools.  And obviously, the perpetrator doesn't value their life, so whether or not they worry about being shot by someone armed isn't a deterrent, since most end up taking their own lives in these horrid acts.   It would be nice if there were an easy answer, but there isn't.   It's going to take a lot more prevention work than "arm everyone".

Right, they don't worry about getting killed, but they do want to do their harm before getting killed. So they would go to where they could do the most harm before getting killed.

Just like if they were going to rob someone. If someone thought that this person could pull a gun & this one couldn't, they would go to the person that wouldn't.

vicki77433
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:14 AM

People who think that teachers should be made to carry firearms are fucking crazy.  I  don't want my child growing up in a military state.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN