Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

unappreciated daycare provider rant

Posted by   + Show Post

So I have two kids I'm watching this year.  They are brothers.  One is home sick with dad today but mom still brought the sibling on her way to work.  This makes me angry for many reasons and I'm thinking of adding it to my policy that if one sibling is home sick then the other has to stay home as well.  First of all the sibling has probably been exposed to what the other has just isn't showing signs yet.  Second, if a parent is already staying home then why not use that time to be with BOTH kids?  Even though I'm paid whether they attend or not its not the QUANTITY of time your paying for its the QUALITY I provide.  If mom had kept both kids home she would be giving me a much needed day off.  Something I'd appreciate right now before the holidays.  I never get a bonus over Christmas break and i don't make the parents pay for the time I'm closed over Christmas either.  But back to the kids - why do parents not WANT to spend time with these babies?  Does dad find it too hard to take care of his two children for one afternoon?  If so then maybe I should call DHS on him. Even if i were home sick from work I'd keep my kids home from daycare with me.  These are not school age kids these are babies and toddlers we are talking about and that time goes by way to quick.  Parents are going to MISS these years with their kids.  The two boys spend 45 plus hours with ME monday through Friday.  And I don't fall for the "we want to keep the healthy one away form the sick one" excuse.  Your kid is more likely to catch something here at daycare than they are at home.  When one of my own three kids got sick when they were all little I didn't send the others away.  Also, I have parents who just OVER USE daycare in general.  I'm not a babysitting service.  Call grandma if you want to go work out, get your hair done or get things done around the house.  You as a parent should be WANTING to make up for all the time you're gone from your little ones while you were working.  They are little for such a short time and soon they will be in school.  Why not sacrifice and put as much time as you can into your babies that you CHOSE to have instead of dumping them on me every chance you get?  I'm here to provide a service and make money but I'm a child ADVOCATE first and when parents over use my daycare I feel like I'm actually providing something that if just bad for society.   It's making me want to quit providing home daycare.   Parents need to start being more concerned about the children AND about ME than they are about "getting their moneys worth."

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:44 AM
Replies (91-96):
Shaybay218
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Lol...I did too and thoughr damn...she needs to go out of business and parents need to start asking their children questions. Sounds to me she can be a bit rude to the children too!

Quoting little.worthen:

Haha I stopped reading after you still get paid anyway.. If that's your policy and my kid wasn't sick I'd damn sure bring him in. Why put more stress on the dad? He has a sick child to take care of and will be busy with that all day.

Do your JOB, mind your own business and quit whining, or find another profession..

LuvNLearn
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Please explain how they are abusing the daycare system?  Are they getting funding for childcare in order to pay you?  

I've seen parents take the money and just say they are working when they aren't...

But if they are working, paying you ontime to work for agreed upon dates and times... how are they abusing you?  Did they sign anything that said they would pick up their child early if they got off work?

I know one provider who says if you don't work, you don't bring your child... but out of all the providers I know, and I know many here in TX as well as in other states through communities like this that do not think this way.

Be careful, you may lose your income.  Maybe a take some time off for vacation and just try to find your sweet spirit again.

EarlGrayHot
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Again-I'm not sure you're right about parents not wanting to spend time with their kids and I don't think it's your call to make.  You provide a service and parents use that service as they need.  You seem to be making a judgement call here that is unsubstantiated.  Parents dropping off their kids to a provider they have paid for doesn't necessarily equal them not wanting to spend time with their kids.

LuvNLearn
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:57 PM

My parents/clients are not my bosses.

They don't pay for my home or my taxes.  

I offer a service.  Big differnece,  I've had ppl come into my home and try to treat me like its just a building... torre a gash in my wall with their carseat and didn't bat an eye. lol I don't keep parents like that... I HAVE fired a parent once.  She was crazy.  I kept getting phone calls with her screaming at me because I couldn't care for her child in the manner she expected.  Like I had to guess if she fed the baby at home or if I was suppose to feed him.  He would scream and cry.  Didn't know if he was hurting with gas or sick or what.  Spent so much time I couldn't afford to find her and ask.  Just to much.

NiCo86
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:57 PM
2 moms liked this
hot damn am i thrilled you're NOT my childrens daycare provider, and if you were, you wouldnt be much longer.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MaiPnut
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a child care provider, and though I understand your frustration I think that it is an accumilated one.  Maybe it is time to take a vacation or even consider releasing the kids from your care.  Sometimes at no ones fault, the family and provider are just not compatible.  As professionals, we have to respect each families situations, but like you said you have the right to refuse service.  I remember having clients who took a 1 week vacation from work, but they brought their children (twins) to care everyday that week, from opening to closing of each business day.  I personally wouldn't do that, however, I acknowledge the fact that they are not me and this is why I chose my profession.  If parents never wanted to be away from their children, then really, I wouldn't have a job.  I'm just happy when I get clients that actually really need my service and appreciate my efforts to respect both my time their theirs.  Talk to them, hang in there, take a break; I'm sure it's because right now you have a lot on your plate that you need to take care of.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN