Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

unappreciated daycare provider rant

Posted by   + Show Post

So I have two kids I'm watching this year.  They are brothers.  One is home sick with dad today but mom still brought the sibling on her way to work.  This makes me angry for many reasons and I'm thinking of adding it to my policy that if one sibling is home sick then the other has to stay home as well.  First of all the sibling has probably been exposed to what the other has just isn't showing signs yet.  Second, if a parent is already staying home then why not use that time to be with BOTH kids?  Even though I'm paid whether they attend or not its not the QUANTITY of time your paying for its the QUALITY I provide.  If mom had kept both kids home she would be giving me a much needed day off.  Something I'd appreciate right now before the holidays.  I never get a bonus over Christmas break and i don't make the parents pay for the time I'm closed over Christmas either.  But back to the kids - why do parents not WANT to spend time with these babies?  Does dad find it too hard to take care of his two children for one afternoon?  If so then maybe I should call DHS on him. Even if i were home sick from work I'd keep my kids home from daycare with me.  These are not school age kids these are babies and toddlers we are talking about and that time goes by way to quick.  Parents are going to MISS these years with their kids.  The two boys spend 45 plus hours with ME monday through Friday.  And I don't fall for the "we want to keep the healthy one away form the sick one" excuse.  Your kid is more likely to catch something here at daycare than they are at home.  When one of my own three kids got sick when they were all little I didn't send the others away.  Also, I have parents who just OVER USE daycare in general.  I'm not a babysitting service.  Call grandma if you want to go work out, get your hair done or get things done around the house.  You as a parent should be WANTING to make up for all the time you're gone from your little ones while you were working.  They are little for such a short time and soon they will be in school.  Why not sacrifice and put as much time as you can into your babies that you CHOSE to have instead of dumping them on me every chance you get?  I'm here to provide a service and make money but I'm a child ADVOCATE first and when parents over use my daycare I feel like I'm actually providing something that if just bad for society.   It's making me want to quit providing home daycare.   Parents need to start being more concerned about the children AND about ME than they are about "getting their moneys worth."

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:44 AM
Replies (11-20):
fernjo
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I talked to the mom this morning one on one.  Dad was home watchin the new drinkin his coffee while she struggled to get the healthy child into his coat and in the car.   Dads probably watching a baseball game right now.  I was told from this same parent that they want to get things done around the house. They tell me what they did over the weekends.  How the kids were shuffled off to grandmas all weekend.  Grandmas are great but again - mom and dad must have needed more 'me time."  Why even have kids if you want to be away from them THAT much?

Bonita131
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:31 PM
3 moms liked this

Wow, I'm glad my grand kids don't go to your daycare. Seriously, you charge for care even if a kid is home sick? How does that work? And how would the government like to know you get away with that kind of rip off? And you'd call DHS on the dad? Why? Because he's caring for his sick child & sends his not sick child to daycare so he can turn all his attention on the child who is sick? What kind of bitch are you that you would even think such a thing?

If you're on the level, which I highly suspect you are not,  you are the last person who should be looking after other peoples children.

fernjo
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Nah, I can just terminate the parents who don't have a clue about what it takes to raise a child.  Thankfully I have a waiting list of parents who do have a clue. 

Bethy16
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:32 PM
3 moms liked this
I think it may be time to re think what you do for a living. I have worked in a day care and I have 3 children. I am a stay at home mom who sends my 4 yr old twice a week to day care for socialization and YES so I can do a few things I can't do with my children. I wouldn't think twice about dropping off the other sibling so I can concentrate on the sick one and give HIM extra snuggles. So basically what you are saying is people should not have children if they have to work?? Maybe if you ran your daycare correctly you would be providing these kids what they need to help make them who they will be. You sound very bitter and I am very glad you are nowhere near my children!

Quoting fernjo:

Thank you for proving my point about how sad parents are today.   I can terminate any daycare parent at any time.  I don't buy the excuse that dad is putting all his time into that sick child.  I've seen that one one too many times.  The mom will say "he was so glad to get that kitchen project done while Johnny napped or watched movies all day."   I've provided care for years and seen and heard it all.  I guess I hold out hope that parents will BE PARENTS but saddly for these babies it just gets worse over the years.  I do what I do because I love kids so it's only natural that I see what is going on wrong at home and that I FEEL for these kids.  It really is OVER USE of daycare.  Stay at home moms did MORE for their kids years ago and they were with them ALLLL DAY LONG.  If you are gone 9 hours a day five days a week then you had better WANT to be taking them along to even your gyno appointmets if you can swing it.  Thats not an exaggeration either as I did when my little one was small enough to carry around and had to be breast fed.  I just feel sad for these babies.  And society wonders why todays kids have problems.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fernjo
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:33 PM

MOST daycare providers charge for days the kids are not there.  We have no control over how often suzie gets sick or how often mom or dad take them out for vacation.  We have a set income that we need in order to keep running.  Otherwise we all close up.  Then where will you parents be?

fernjo
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Daycare is there for you to go to work (I only take full time working parents who need me full time).  That is what I am fine with.  I expect you to pick up your child and to WANT to pick up your child the minute you get off from work.  You got off early and need to get groceries?  Guess what?  There are carts that have seats where you can place your child.  They might actually enjoy spending that time with you.  It's called BEING A PARENT!!!!!!

fernjo
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:06 PM

The one boy I watch is napping.  Something his father apprently found too hard to deal with while home with his brother right now.  Let me ask you - do you ever get off early from work?  I don't .  I have parents here from the second I open to the time I close even though they got off from work an hour before my official close time.  Ask any other daycare provider and they will tell you that is one of their pet peeves - parents who use you the ENTIRE time your open just to get stuff done.  What about us providers??!?!  We have "stuff to get done" too.  I think some of you parents think just because we are at home that we have it super easy.  We have SIX kids to take care of most of the time.  You can't even seem to manage YOUR ONE! 

HaveFaith1215
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

ahaha! Love it. Very Nicely said! 

Quoting ....ClvrScn.:

Quoting fernjo:

So I have two kids I'm watching this year.  They are brothers.  One is home sick with dad today but mom still brought the sibling on her way to work.  This makes me angry for many reasons and I'm thinking of adding it to my policy that if one sibling is home sick then the other has to stay home as well.  I would not employ a DAYCARE if they couldn't be a DAYCARE! I would not want my child to lose routing, just because one of them is sick. Why should both of their schedules be thrown off. First of all the sibling has probably been exposed to what the other has just isn't showing signs yet.  Second, if a parent is already staying home then why not use that time to be with BOTH kids? Because the sick child needs the attention right now Even though I'm paid whether they attend or not its not the QUANTITY of time your paying for its the QUALITY I provide. Yeah, if I'm paying you, you need to suck it up and deal with the decision I make. I write your paycheck - you get over it.  If mom had kept both kids home she would be giving me a much needed day off. You are the one that decided to be a daycare provider. I'm sure mom doesn't give a shit that you need a day off. She pays you for a service. If you can't cut it, then you need to get a different job.  Something I'd appreciate right now before the holidays.  I never get a bonus over Christmas break and i don't make the parents pay for the time I'm closed over Christmas either.  Yeah, most daycares don't make you pay when THEY are closed!!! And a Christmas bonus is not required. From your attitude, I don't think you deserve one! But back to the kids - why do parents not WANT to spend time with these babies?  Does dad find it too hard to take care of his two children for one afternoon?  Probably! One of them is SICK!!! If so then maybe I should call DHS on him. That is ludacris!! Because dad is showing attention to the sick child - you're a nut case!!!!  Even if i were home sick from work I'd keep my kids home from daycare with me. I didn't, when my son was in daycare. Why keep him around to catch it  These are not school age kids these are babies and toddlers we are talking about and that time goes by way to quick. Back to the need for routine  Parents are going to MISS these years with their kids.  The two boys spend 45 plus hours with ME monday through Friday. Because their parents have to WORK  And I don't fall for the "we want to keep the healthy one away form the sick one" excuse.  Your kid is more likely to catch something here at daycare than they are at home. Is your daycare THAT nasty When one of my own three kids got sick when they were all little I didn't send the others away.  Also, I have parents who just OVER USE daycare in general.  I'm not a babysitting service.  That is exactly what you are ! Call grandma if you want to go work out, get your hair done or get things done around the house. It's none of your business, as long as you are getting paid  You as a parent should be WANTING to make up for all the time you're gone from your little ones while you were working.  They are little for such a short time and soon they will be in school.  Why not sacrifice and put as much time as you can into your babies that you CHOSE to have instead of dumping them on me every chance you get? You are paid! That is all you need to concern yourself with  I'm here to provide a service and make money but I'm a child ADVOCATE first and when parents over use my daycare I feel like I'm actually providing something that if just bad for society. Oh give me a break you lunatic  It's making me want to quit providing home daycare.   You need to! You sound like an awful person. Parents need to start being more concerned about the children AND about ME Why the fuck should parents concern themselves with YOU???  than they are about "getting their moneys worth." Why would I pay my mother to babysit, when I need a sitter, so I can run errands, when I am already paying YOU to be available?>???

fernjo
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:22 PM

ahaaaa, you guys are the NIGHTMARE parents that all providers talk to each other about.  I snicker because you'd all be out of luck finding care in my town as us providers all warn each other about the problem parents who have no concern for their providers.   We providers are taking care of the most important thing in your life (at least what SHOULD be the most important. Obviously not for some saddly)  and you have no concern for US? Lady, you NEED us.  You are not just sad parents but sad human beings!

jillianmayasmom
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:26 PM
3 moms liked this
You are exactly why I will never ever use an in home daycare. This really is the wrong profession for you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)