Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

unappreciated daycare provider rant

Posted by   + Show Post

So I have two kids I'm watching this year.  They are brothers.  One is home sick with dad today but mom still brought the sibling on her way to work.  This makes me angry for many reasons and I'm thinking of adding it to my policy that if one sibling is home sick then the other has to stay home as well.  First of all the sibling has probably been exposed to what the other has just isn't showing signs yet.  Second, if a parent is already staying home then why not use that time to be with BOTH kids?  Even though I'm paid whether they attend or not its not the QUANTITY of time your paying for its the QUALITY I provide.  If mom had kept both kids home she would be giving me a much needed day off.  Something I'd appreciate right now before the holidays.  I never get a bonus over Christmas break and i don't make the parents pay for the time I'm closed over Christmas either.  But back to the kids - why do parents not WANT to spend time with these babies?  Does dad find it too hard to take care of his two children for one afternoon?  If so then maybe I should call DHS on him. Even if i were home sick from work I'd keep my kids home from daycare with me.  These are not school age kids these are babies and toddlers we are talking about and that time goes by way to quick.  Parents are going to MISS these years with their kids.  The two boys spend 45 plus hours with ME monday through Friday.  And I don't fall for the "we want to keep the healthy one away form the sick one" excuse.  Your kid is more likely to catch something here at daycare than they are at home.  When one of my own three kids got sick when they were all little I didn't send the others away.  Also, I have parents who just OVER USE daycare in general.  I'm not a babysitting service.  Call grandma if you want to go work out, get your hair done or get things done around the house.  You as a parent should be WANTING to make up for all the time you're gone from your little ones while you were working.  They are little for such a short time and soon they will be in school.  Why not sacrifice and put as much time as you can into your babies that you CHOSE to have instead of dumping them on me every chance you get?  I'm here to provide a service and make money but I'm a child ADVOCATE first and when parents over use my daycare I feel like I'm actually providing something that if just bad for society.   It's making me want to quit providing home daycare.   Parents need to start being more concerned about the children AND about ME than they are about "getting their moneys worth."

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:44 AM
Replies (21-30):
marchantmom06
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:28 PM
First off just because one child is sick DOES NOT mean The other ones will be. My 8 year old has strep AND the flu and none of my other 6 are sick at all. My husband has been staying with her at our other home to contain germs to one place. Guess what all the others that go to school have been in attendance. It's your JOB to watch them. If you don't want to do the JOB you are PAID for then QUIT.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fernjo
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Sounds like lots mommys feeling guilty about the fact that they have to or chose to send their babies to daycare.  Being angry at providers is not healthy and not the answer.   Like all providers (and school teachers as well) say - the number one problem with their job is not the kids - it's always the parents.  Have a nice day.

jillianmayasmom
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:41 PM
You are the only one who sounds angry.

Quoting fernjo:

Sounds like lots mommys feeling guilty about the fact that they have to or chose to send their babies to daycare.  Being angry at providers is not healthy and not the answer.   Like all providers (and school teachers as well) say - the number one problem with their job is not the kids - it's always the parents.  Have a nice day.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ohmandy
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

most parents who send their children to daycare do it out of necessity.  when dh and i both worked fulltime i would drop ds off as soon as they opened and id pick him up after work.  sometimes id stop at the gym or take care of errands between.  

YOU sound like the bad human being here, bashing people for working??? that makes NO SENSE!!!! where i love daycare was costing us the same as rent.  missing work for both of us meant losing money.  it was tough.  so do you have ONE family you serve?? how is that ONE child coming in making it so you have to work.  i teach.  if my students dont show up, i dont get to go home.

this is just insane and adding to my stress after a stressful day... and i dont even have kids in daycare right now!!! dh lost his job and is a sahd.  thankfully we are in a place where we can do that now.  damn judgemental rude people.  

fernjo
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:13 PM

This is about parents sending kids to daycare even when one parent is home and the abuse of the daycare system.  It's about the poor kids. It's about the fact that yes, I'm  here for those babies 45-50 hours a week day in and day out all year long.  The FEW times that mom or dad is home can't they at least BE HOME WITH their child?!?!!  It makes me sad for the child and mad at the parents.  I'm sorry that that struck a nerve for some of you. It must be because you're guilty of doing the above.  We will never see eye to eye on this and it's sad that this site for women has us at each others throats.  The HATE is coming from you moms of daycare kids.  Go back and reread my original post.  I'm not attacking anyone the way you all started out.  You've all just cemented my original feelings with you're immature and angry posts.  I think I will close up shop.  I'm here for children - not to provide service for selfish adults.

little.worthen
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Daycare is there for whatever the hell the parents want it for. You're not a grandmother or a sister who is babysitting for an hour or two out of the goodness of your heart, you're getting paid to watch kids for whatever the hell the parents say. Do you have some kind of policy that a parent has to be working to send their kid to your home? I doubt it. The fact is its none of your business. If a damn SAHM decided to send their kid to your house for two hours a day so she could get a massage and pedicure and paid you just like everyone else, then you have NO say in that. It's NOT your concern.

I just hope to God this woman is on cafemom and reads this, I doubt it, but you should be out of business.

Quoting fernjo:

Daycare is there for you to go to work (I only take full time working parents who need me full time).  That is what I am fine with.  I expect you to pick up your child and to WANT to pick up your child the minute you get off from work.  You got off early and need to get groceries?  Guess what?  There are carts that have seats where you can place your child.  They might actually enjoy spending that time with you.  It's called BEING A PARENT!!!!!!

marchantmom06
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:25 PM
Also, I have parents who just OVER USE daycare in general.  I'm not a babysitting service

That made me laugh out loud. YOU ARE THE BABYSITTER!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommythree0508
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:33 PM
I wouldn't want you anywhere near my kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rhiannon1980
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:38 PM
Let me ask you this. If your kids are in school and one is sick do you keep them both home? I know if I had more than one I wouldn't. So to me same with daycare.
kimsamomof3
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:40 PM
2 moms liked this
Sounds like you are just mad because you couldn't get paid to do nothing! Ummm and yeah, you are being paid so it doesn't matter what the Parent is doing as long as its legal. Lol! Calling Dhs cause YOU want a break!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN