Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

unappreciated daycare provider rant

Posted by   + Show Post

So I have two kids I'm watching this year.  They are brothers.  One is home sick with dad today but mom still brought the sibling on her way to work.  This makes me angry for many reasons and I'm thinking of adding it to my policy that if one sibling is home sick then the other has to stay home as well.  First of all the sibling has probably been exposed to what the other has just isn't showing signs yet.  Second, if a parent is already staying home then why not use that time to be with BOTH kids?  Even though I'm paid whether they attend or not its not the QUANTITY of time your paying for its the QUALITY I provide.  If mom had kept both kids home she would be giving me a much needed day off.  Something I'd appreciate right now before the holidays.  I never get a bonus over Christmas break and i don't make the parents pay for the time I'm closed over Christmas either.  But back to the kids - why do parents not WANT to spend time with these babies?  Does dad find it too hard to take care of his two children for one afternoon?  If so then maybe I should call DHS on him. Even if i were home sick from work I'd keep my kids home from daycare with me.  These are not school age kids these are babies and toddlers we are talking about and that time goes by way to quick.  Parents are going to MISS these years with their kids.  The two boys spend 45 plus hours with ME monday through Friday.  And I don't fall for the "we want to keep the healthy one away form the sick one" excuse.  Your kid is more likely to catch something here at daycare than they are at home.  When one of my own three kids got sick when they were all little I didn't send the others away.  Also, I have parents who just OVER USE daycare in general.  I'm not a babysitting service.  Call grandma if you want to go work out, get your hair done or get things done around the house.  You as a parent should be WANTING to make up for all the time you're gone from your little ones while you were working.  They are little for such a short time and soon they will be in school.  Why not sacrifice and put as much time as you can into your babies that you CHOSE to have instead of dumping them on me every chance you get?  I'm here to provide a service and make money but I'm a child ADVOCATE first and when parents over use my daycare I feel like I'm actually providing something that if just bad for society.   It's making me want to quit providing home daycare.   Parents need to start being more concerned about the children AND about ME than they are about "getting their moneys worth."

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:44 AM
Replies (31-40):
BridgeEbb
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:42 PM
2 moms liked this

I am also a daycare provider.  I would never make a parent or expect a parent to keep both kids home when only one is sick.  They paid me for the child to be there on that day and they should be able to have my services if the child is well.  Yeah I would love it if they did keep both home but I would never complain because they didn't.  I found your comment about getting a bonus rather odd.  I have some parents that give me a bonus or gift card and others that don't.  I am grateful when they do but again wouldn't expect it and do not complain when I do not get one.  Is it in your contract that they pay you for holidays?  It is in mine that I get paid for any Holiday that I am closed during a regular week.  I also get paid one week of vacation time.  But to expect that without having it laid out in your policies is ludicrous.  On the not running errands when they are in your care.  Again if its not in your contract then you can't expect them to read your mind.  I actually don't care what they are doing while their child is in my care.  I am getting paid!! The only time I care is if they are late because they decided to stop at the grocery store or do another errand on the way to get them.  I have to take my six kids with me to go shopping so they can take their one or two lol.  If you feel burnt and need the day off maybe you should tell them you need a day off.  You would be surprised how much a parent would understand.  And how are you online so much? I am only on because I only do before and after school care now since having my baby and no one is here right now....just curious.

MrsLondon
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:42 PM
2 moms liked this

This is why my kids don't go to "Home Daycares". I want the daycare to be ran like a business not a bootleg/backyard business.

little.worthen
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:47 PM

wth? all of our comments we made are deleted now.. so how did that happen?

Quoting marchantmom06:

Also, I have parents who just OVER USE daycare in general.  I'm not a babysitting service

That made me laugh out loud. YOU ARE THE BABYSITTER!!

Acknowledge God - An INSPIRATIONAL blog
Join us in Classic Rock Mom's 
Check out our Article Club on Facebook! 

ohmandy
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:47 PM

your original post WAS hateful, talking about calling dhs, saying "call grandma".  well, my mom had a stroke 3 years ago.  maybe i can drop him off at the nursing home while im paying for a service.  thats insane, judgemental, presumptiuous.... should i go on?

speaking of guilt.  i would LOVE to be able to stay home with my son.  for two years i was going for my masters while working fulltime.  it SUCKED!! but it was necessary.  so just stop accusing people of things when you dont know ANYTHING about them.  again, we dont use a daycare right now, but I AM one of those moms you are talking about... cause i work.

little.worthen
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:48 PM

she was bashing her own post earlier. i think this post is fake. and a lot of comments keep getting deleted, they arent even breaking TOS either so i have no idea how its happening. 

LizzieAnnesMom
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I madeit as far as "much needed day off" hell if I am going to pay someone so my husband can watch both of my kikds while the sitter takes a "much needed day off"

Quoting little.worthen:

Haha I stopped reading after you still get paid anyway.. If that's your policy and my kid wasn't sick I'd damn sure bring him in. Why put more stress on the dad? He has a sick child to take care of and will be busy with that all day.

Do your JOB, mind your own business and quit whining, or find another profession..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chattycassie
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 2:59 PM

This... I mean really you are getting paid it's your job.

Quoting little.worthen:

Haha I stopped reading after you still get paid anyway.. If that's your policy and my kid wasn't sick I'd damn sure bring him in. Why put more stress on the dad? He has a sick child to take care of and will be busy with that all day.

Do your JOB, mind your own business and quit whining, or find another profession..

IWantOneMorePlz
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Daycare providers like you are the reason I don't USE daycare anymore.  I use a babysitter who works when needed.  I had 1 daycare treat my kid like a paycheck, and another that tried changing the contract on me AND charge more money with less availability.  IE-not available on Fridays so she could do stuff.  Not to mention the fact she would call and close for the next day leaving me to find a last minute replacement.

Did my kid go when I had the day off? Hell, yeah!!  I am not going to pay someone 5 days pay for 3 days work!  

My children are MUCH better with the babysitter they have.  The have been going there (when needed) for 7 years now.

NapTime1116
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:48 PM
You are a daycare provider aren't you? It doesn't sound like you agree with putting your children in child care at all. Why be a daycare provider? It doesn't make since to me. The parents pay you to watch thier kids. I used to be a daycare teacher and believe me I've seen it all. Now granted I did feel sorry for the kids that were at the daycare 7:00 am-6:00 pm but I didn't judge the parents. And I did get frustrated when parents brought there kids to school on Tylenol knowing they were sick but our policy was if they had a temp higher than 99 then they had to be sent home. But u don't think there is anything wrong with a parent taking their WELL child to daycare when the sibling is sick. Doesn't make any sense to me

Quoting fernjo:

I talked to the mom this morning one on one.  Dad was home watchin the new drinkin his coffee while she struggled to get the healthy child into his coat and in the car.   Dads probably watching a baseball game right now.  I was told from this same parent that they want to get things done around the house. They tell me what they did over the weekends.  How the kids were shuffled off to grandmas all weekend.  Grandmas are great but again - mom and dad must have needed more 'me time."  Why even have kids if you want to be away from them THAT much?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NapTime1116
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:54 PM
I do have to agree with you there. The day care I worked at had the same policy. You had to pay no matter if your kid was there or not.

Quoting fernjo:

MOST daycare providers charge for days the kids are not there.  We have no control over how often suzie gets sick or how often mom or dad take them out for vacation.  We have a set income that we need in order to keep running.  Otherwise we all close up.  Then where will you parents be?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)