Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

unappreciated daycare provider rant

Posted by   + Show Post

So I have two kids I'm watching this year.  They are brothers.  One is home sick with dad today but mom still brought the sibling on her way to work.  This makes me angry for many reasons and I'm thinking of adding it to my policy that if one sibling is home sick then the other has to stay home as well.  First of all the sibling has probably been exposed to what the other has just isn't showing signs yet.  Second, if a parent is already staying home then why not use that time to be with BOTH kids?  Even though I'm paid whether they attend or not its not the QUANTITY of time your paying for its the QUALITY I provide.  If mom had kept both kids home she would be giving me a much needed day off.  Something I'd appreciate right now before the holidays.  I never get a bonus over Christmas break and i don't make the parents pay for the time I'm closed over Christmas either.  But back to the kids - why do parents not WANT to spend time with these babies?  Does dad find it too hard to take care of his two children for one afternoon?  If so then maybe I should call DHS on him. Even if i were home sick from work I'd keep my kids home from daycare with me.  These are not school age kids these are babies and toddlers we are talking about and that time goes by way to quick.  Parents are going to MISS these years with their kids.  The two boys spend 45 plus hours with ME monday through Friday.  And I don't fall for the "we want to keep the healthy one away form the sick one" excuse.  Your kid is more likely to catch something here at daycare than they are at home.  When one of my own three kids got sick when they were all little I didn't send the others away.  Also, I have parents who just OVER USE daycare in general.  I'm not a babysitting service.  Call grandma if you want to go work out, get your hair done or get things done around the house.  You as a parent should be WANTING to make up for all the time you're gone from your little ones while you were working.  They are little for such a short time and soon they will be in school.  Why not sacrifice and put as much time as you can into your babies that you CHOSE to have instead of dumping them on me every chance you get?  I'm here to provide a service and make money but I'm a child ADVOCATE first and when parents over use my daycare I feel like I'm actually providing something that if just bad for society.   It's making me want to quit providing home daycare.   Parents need to start being more concerned about the children AND about ME than they are about "getting their moneys worth."

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:44 AM
Replies (41-50):
NapTime1116
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:01 PM
That is so rude!! How can you say things like that? You don't have a clue! I am a stay at home mom and would love to be able to send my son tho daycare a couple times a week for socialization and fun. And and nor afraid to admit I would enjoy a little ME time. I would never want you any where near my child. You sound like a very mean hearted person that shouldn't be caring for children.

Quoting fernjo:

Daycare is there for you to go to work (I only take full time working parents who need me full time).  That is what I am fine with.  I expect you to pick up your child and to WANT to pick up your child the minute you get off from work.  You got off early and need to get groceries?  Guess what?  There are carts that have seats where you can place your child.  They might actually enjoy spending that time with you.  It's called BEING A PARENT!!!!!!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NapTime1116
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:09 PM
That's why at the daycare I worked at had a policy. You had to pay a dollar for every minuet you went over closing 6:00 pm. And the two closer would split the money. You need to have better policies!!

Quoting fernjo:

The one boy I watch is napping.  Something his father apprently found too hard to deal with while home with his brother right now.  Let me ask you - do you ever get off early from work?  I don't .  I have parents here from the second I open to the time I close even though they got off from work an hour before my official close time.  Ask any other daycare provider and they will tell you that is one of their pet peeves - parents who use you the ENTIRE time your open just to get stuff done.  What about us providers??!?!  We have "stuff to get done" too.  I think some of you parents think just because we are at home that we have it super easy.  We have SIX kids to take care of most of the time.  You can't even seem to manage YOUR ONE! 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jaydensmom1726
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:10 PM

people like are the reason that i wont use a daycare that charges even if he isnt there.it cost enough for the time he is there why should i have to pay for him to be there even if he is not.

emeraldangel2.0
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:16 PM
2 moms liked this

you give a bad name to us REAL daycare providers. it's OBVIOUS you have NO respect for these children's parents and I hope the parents find out and fire your ass.

emeraldangel2.0
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this

DAYCARE IS NOT THERE FOR PARENTS WHO WORK IT IS THERE FOR PARENTS WHO WANT OR NEED TO SEND THEIR KIDS THERE!!!!!!

YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO JUDGE!

I HIGHLY doubt you are a true daycare provider because you would have learned this in school. I just took the course for family relations, and made an A to boot, so trust me, I know what I'm talking about. You might as well quit, because it's obvious you are not in this field for the right reasons

Quoting fernjo:

Daycare is there for you to go to work (I only take full time working parents who need me full time).  That is what I am fine with.  I expect you to pick up your child and to WANT to pick up your child the minute you get off from work.  You got off early and need to get groceries?  Guess what?  There are carts that have seats where you can place your child.  They might actually enjoy spending that time with you.  It's called BEING A PARENT!!!!!!

Rebecca-vi

My Blog                                          Head Admin

fernjo
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:32 AM

They don't fire ME - I drop them!  I interview the parents that I choose to have come to my home.  I choose the children and families and I can terminate our contract at any time for any reason.  It is MY home and my business and they are at my mercy.  I can change my policy and add to it any time I want.  I didn't think I'd have to change it so much as I figured adults would have more common sense. 

MedicMommyAnne
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:37 AM

If they are paying you regardless if the come or now, I would absolutely send the not sick kid.  You are charging them regardless you don't deserve a day off. 

Threes.Company
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:42 AM

If you do not like your job, then shut down your daycare.

If you are going to charge parents even if their child is sick, of course they are going to want to send  their healthy child despite a sick child being at home.

You ARE a babysitting service.  You are a regular, daytime babysitting service.  If they are paying you to watch their child, it is not your business what they are doing while they are gone, as long as they are back during the hours they paid for.

It sounds like you are selfish and self-centered.  YOU just want a day off, and you do not care how this affects their family.  If YOU really want that child to stay home, offer to give them their money back if their non-sick child cannot go to you for care.  If not, then too bad for you.  They should just PAY YOU for a day off because you want one?  Give me a break. 

If I had one kid healthy and one kid sick and had the option of keeping my healthy kid AWAY from my sick kid, you better believe I would take the option.  Just because two kids MIGHT have been exposed to each other does not guarantee they will both get the illness.  I have three kids.  It doesn't always work out that way.  So if I were forced to pay for daycare days, even if my kid is sick... and I had one sick and one healthy, I would not hesitate to send my healthy child.  Plus, depending on how sick my sick child is, I might want to be more attentive, have a quieter home free of sibling arguments, etc.  I can come up with a laundry list of reasons, actually.

Get over yourself. 

I really wish the parents could read this post.  I know if I had read this as a parent whose child is in your care, you would be FIRED.  Clearly you are not cut out for this job.

I used to do child care from my home.  I know exactly how it works.  I did it for two years.  You are being ridiculous and unreasonable.

Threes.Company
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this

They can certainly fire you.  If they did not want to send their kids there anymore, they can fire you and find other care.  And if you change or add things to a policy they have a right to look over the changes and agree to it or not.  If they don't agree, they can pull their child from your care.  I am not sure why you are so full of yourself or why you are on such a power trip that you have to say things like this.  Are you listening to yourself?  Seriously? 

"Your kid is sick, but you still owe me money.

Don't send me your totally healthy kid either.

But, you still have to pay me for that kid, too.

Why?

Well, because I want and deserve a day off because it is the holidays.

What's that?  I have vacation time coming up for the holiday?

Well, I don't want to wait.  I want a day off now. 

So I am going to change my policy and if you don't like it, I will drop you.

You are at my mercy."

What a lovely person you are.  You sit there and say the parents should "be more concerned about their children" and not getting their money's worth?  Well, maybe YOU should be more concerned about taking care of the children and doing your JOB than worrying about what they are doing with their time or judging how they want to provide care for their sick child INSTEAD of worrying about getting time off for yourself.  You are worse than these parents, by a long shot.

Quoting fernjo:

They don't fire ME - I drop them!  I interview the parents that I choose to have come to my home.  I choose the children and families and I can terminate our contract at any time for any reason.  It is MY home and my business and they are at my mercy.  I can change my policy and add to it any time I want.  I didn't think I'd have to change it so much as I figured adults would have more common sense. 

fernjo
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:00 AM

You can try and justify the way you disrespect the person who cares for your children day in and day out all you want.  You can try and justify the way you choose to over use daycare every chance you get because your me time and "getting your moneys worth" seem to be more important to you than your OWN CHILD but you need to see how idiotic you sound.  Go to the other sites on here where daycare providers talk.  Most ALLLL feel the exact same way I do.  We love these kids but WE ARE NOT THEIR PARENTS.  We DO want parents to PARENT t;heir children.  Even though we are NOT the parent we DO have a say in what we feel is good or bad for these kids.  You don't like it?  Then go find another provider - one who does not care about the kids or how many hours you leave them there and how you take advantage of them.  Good luck with that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)