Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

unappreciated daycare provider rant

Posted by   + Show Post

So I have two kids I'm watching this year.  They are brothers.  One is home sick with dad today but mom still brought the sibling on her way to work.  This makes me angry for many reasons and I'm thinking of adding it to my policy that if one sibling is home sick then the other has to stay home as well.  First of all the sibling has probably been exposed to what the other has just isn't showing signs yet.  Second, if a parent is already staying home then why not use that time to be with BOTH kids?  Even though I'm paid whether they attend or not its not the QUANTITY of time your paying for its the QUALITY I provide.  If mom had kept both kids home she would be giving me a much needed day off.  Something I'd appreciate right now before the holidays.  I never get a bonus over Christmas break and i don't make the parents pay for the time I'm closed over Christmas either.  But back to the kids - why do parents not WANT to spend time with these babies?  Does dad find it too hard to take care of his two children for one afternoon?  If so then maybe I should call DHS on him. Even if i were home sick from work I'd keep my kids home from daycare with me.  These are not school age kids these are babies and toddlers we are talking about and that time goes by way to quick.  Parents are going to MISS these years with their kids.  The two boys spend 45 plus hours with ME monday through Friday.  And I don't fall for the "we want to keep the healthy one away form the sick one" excuse.  Your kid is more likely to catch something here at daycare than they are at home.  When one of my own three kids got sick when they were all little I didn't send the others away.  Also, I have parents who just OVER USE daycare in general.  I'm not a babysitting service.  Call grandma if you want to go work out, get your hair done or get things done around the house.  You as a parent should be WANTING to make up for all the time you're gone from your little ones while you were working.  They are little for such a short time and soon they will be in school.  Why not sacrifice and put as much time as you can into your babies that you CHOSE to have instead of dumping them on me every chance you get?  I'm here to provide a service and make money but I'm a child ADVOCATE first and when parents over use my daycare I feel like I'm actually providing something that if just bad for society.   It's making me want to quit providing home daycare.   Parents need to start being more concerned about the children AND about ME than they are about "getting their moneys worth."

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 11:44 AM
Replies (61-70):
emeraldangel2.0
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

No we don't you are a minority in our field. I am, as of two days ago, a certified daycare worker. Something I'm sure you can't say for yourself. If you are this frustrated you need to find another profession.

Quoting fernjo:

You can try and justify the way you disrespect the person who cares for your children day in and day out all you want.  You can try and justify the way you choose to over use daycare every chance you get because your me time and "getting your moneys worth" seem to be more important to you than your OWN CHILD but you need to see how idiotic you sound.  Go to the other sites on here where daycare providers talk.  Most ALLLL feel the exact same way I do.  We love these kids but WE ARE NOT THEIR PARENTS.  We DO want parents to PARENT t;heir children.  Even though we are NOT the parent we DO have a say in what we feel is good or bad for these kids.  You don't like it?  Then go find another provider - one who does not care about the kids or how many hours you leave them there and how you take advantage of them.  Good luck with that.

Rebecca-vi

My Blog                                          Head Admin

IWantOneMorePlz
by Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Your attitude is the same that my last day care provider had.  Guess what?  EVERY SINGEL PARENT terminated the contract when she changed it.  She had to get a job outside her home.  

My kids wouldn't be going to you for care.  I pay you. I am your boss.  I can fire you for any reason at any time.  If I found out you were on the Internet while my kids were there, you would be fired.  Mine are in school right now, BTW.

Point is-Parents hire you.  You don't hire parents.

Quoting fernjo:

They don't fire ME - I drop them!  I interview the parents that I choose to have come to my home.  I choose the children and families and I can terminate our contract at any time for any reason.  It is MY home and my business and they are at my mercy.  I can change my policy and add to it any time I want.  I didn't think I'd have to change it so much as I figured adults would have more common sense. 

one_on_the_way
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting fernjo:

So I have two kids I'm watching this year.  They are brothers.  One is home sick with dad today but mom still brought the sibling on her way to work.  This makes me angry for many reasons and I'm thinking of adding it to my policy that if one sibling is home sick then the other has to stay home as well.  First of all the sibling has probably been exposed to what the other has just isn't showing signs yet.  Second, if a parent is already staying home then why not use that time to be with BOTH kids?

What?!?  When kids are school-aged....and one sibling is sick.....does that mean ALL siblings should miss school that day since they may have been 'exposed' to the illness?  That is what you're saying.

What the hell do you mean "since the parent is home anyway" --- MAYBE the parent wants to have some quality 'one on one' time with their sick child.  Did you ever think of that?  Sometimes it's NICE for a child who is sick to get a parent's UNDIVIDED ATTENTION.  I'm sorry, but that isn't possible when their sibling is home, too.  

Even though I'm paid whether they attend or not its not the QUANTITY of time your paying for its the QUALITY I provide.  You are essentially saying that when I bring my child to you, your quality of service goes down?  How does that make sense.  You are BLAMING the parents who are PAYING you to care for their child, for NOT PROVIDING QUALITY SERVICE?!?  What is wrong with you!  If mom had kept both kids home she would be giving me a much needed day off.  If you need a day off, take a vacation ---- DON'T blame parents for bringing their child to you when you are open for business!!!  Close!  A lot of 'at home' daycare providers take time off -- as long as they give the parents enough notice that they will have to arrange other care.  But, BLAMING parents as doing something WRONG by bringing in their child while you are open and during regular hours is horrible.  What if the sibling wasn't sick.....and they were both brought in.  What would be your EXCUSE then for providing low-quality care? Something I'd appreciate right now before the holidays.  I never get a bonus over Christmas break and i don't make the parents pay for the time I'm closed over Christmas either.  So, you need a break BEFORE your break, do I have that right???  You're bitching about needing a break.....when you're going to HAVE a break coming up?  Wow.  Just, wow.   We would ALL love and appreciate some time off before the holidays, but guess what --- we're all adults and have responsibilities and have to suck it up.  And, some adults and parents DON'T even get a break around the holidays.  Stop whining.  But back to the kids - why do parents not WANT to spend time with these babies?  Does dad find it too hard to take care of his two children for one afternoon?  If so then maybe I should call DHS on him. Even if i were home sick from work I'd keep my kids home from daycare with me.  Part of being a good parent is taking care of yourself.  If a parent is sick and has the opportunity to rest and sleep and take care of themselves without having to also be an attentive and loving parent at the same time....well, there is nothign wrong with that.  A parent is going to be MUCH better if they're able to rest which simply isn't possible when you have children to care for.  These are not school age kids these are babies and toddlers we are talking about and that time goes by way to quick.  Parents are going to MISS these years with their kids.  The two boys spend 45 plus hours with ME monday through Friday. And, the parents spent 40 hours at work....plus 1 hour per day for travel and miscellaneous, QUICK errands.  How long is their commute?  And I don't fall for the "we want to keep the healthy one away form the sick one" excuse.  Your kid is more likely to catch something here at daycare than they are at home. So, in one breath you say "I don't want the sibling here because they probably caught something from home.....and THEN you say "your child is more likely to get sick under my care than they are if they are home with their sick sibling".  Which is it?   When one of my own three kids got sick when they were all little I didn't send the others away.  Were you a stay at home mom?  Of course you wouldn't send them away because you probably didn't have a lined up caregiver to do such a thing.  I bet if you DID have a child care provider available, you WOULD have sent your well children to daycare so you could focus on caring for your sick child for a few hours without the other children needing your attention as well.  Also, I have parents who just OVER USE daycare in general.  I'm not a babysitting service.  Call grandma if you want to go work out, get your hair done or get things done around the house.  Put it in their contract that if you find out they were anywhere BUT work while their child was in your care, you will terminate the agreement.  Apparently, you have a problem with parents exercising, getting hair cuts.  Put that in your contract.  You as a parent should be WANTING to make up for all the time you're gone from your little ones while you were working.  They are little for such a short time and soon they will be in school.  Why not sacrifice and put as much time as you can into your babies that you CHOSE to have instead of dumping them on me every chance you get?  I'm here to provide a service and make money but I'm a child ADVOCATE first and when parents over use my daycare what do you consider 'over use'?  I feel like I'm actually providing something that if just bad for society.   So, you're a shitty provider --- and you blame the parents for that.  Must be nice to do shitty work and then point fingers and blame someone else for your shortcomings.  Do you know what?  When I do a bad job at something, I don't blame the person who is paying me to do that job for me failing at it --- I blame MYSELF.  It's making me want to quit providing home daycare.   You REALLY should SERIOUSLY consider that.  It is not fair to those children or those parents to have a child care provider who admittedly provides bad service while blaming others and feeling justified in their resentment over people actually expecting you to DO YOUR JOB.  Parents need to start being more concerned about the children AND about ME than they are about "getting their moneys worth."

mna_823
down 1.8 lbs. getting closer to the me I want to be!
Yesterday at 10:47 AM
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:04 PM
Wow! So glad that you aren't my child care provider. If you want/need a day off I suggest that you schedule one. And it's hard enough to be at work away from my child, the attitude is not needed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
littlelamb303
by Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I agree with you

emsmom627
by New Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:10 PM

wow u should not be responsible for kids.  you are getting paid.  if you don't like it don't watch them. 

one_on_the_way
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Quoting fernjo:

Sounds like lots mommys feeling guilty about the fact that they have to or chose to send their babies to daycare.  Being angry at providers is not healthy and not the answer.   Like all providers (and school teachers as well) say - the number one problem with their job is not the kids - it's always the parents.  Have a nice day.

Who's angry at the providers?  I love my child care provider - and so does my son.  You're the one who is going on about how guilty parents should feel about using child care.  And, you're the one who is resentful of being expected to, you know, DO YOUR JOB AND ALL.  

And, not all providers are like you and resent the parents of the children they care for.....Like I said in your other post -- my son's provider actually wanted my son there MORE so he could participate in their morning routine.  Then again, he goes to a daycare where they actually engage children in fulfilling experiences and educational activities -- not like you, where your kids are 'stuck in one home all day' and parents just 'dump them off' with you.

If you don't want to work until 6:00 pm, don't stay open until 6:00 pm --- My last son's daycare was open 7:00 am - 5:00 pm.  Did that mean they couldn't take families who had parents who worked 9-5 or those who worked 7-3?  Yes - so be it.  They pretty much had families who worked 7:30-4.  You have control over when you choose to provide service.  No one says you HAVE to accommodate different work shifts -- you are CHOOSING to so that YOU get MORE business.  It isn't that you are trying to do some 'favor' to these families --- it is because you want more money.

Or, maybe have it in your contract that a child can't be there more than 9 hours a day or something if it makes you that 'angry' parents are 'over-using' your service.  So, if a child is dropped off at 6:00 am...they must be picked up by 3:00 pm or your charge will go up.  

little.worthen
by Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Actually, they DO! They are YOUR boss. They hire YOU and if they don't like you then YOU'RE FIRED.

Quoting fernjo:

They don't fire ME - I drop them!  I interview the parents that I choose to have come to my home.  I choose the children and families and I can terminate our contract at any time for any reason.  It is MY home and my business and they are at my mercy.  I can change my policy and add to it any time I want.  I didn't think I'd have to change it so much as I figured adults would have more common sense. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FunnyKids
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

You shouldn't be running a daycare. I wish I knew the name of your daycare so I can warn the parents. With your attitude I bet the kids sit in the one daycare room you have a play with the same crappy toys, day in and day out, and I bet they have the same CRAP for meals everyday too. Daycare is not just for SAHMs that don't want to work but need the $, so they open a "daycare" daycares are for people who enjoy what they do and respect their customers. All the wonderful daycare providers I know love to help the parents out and I've known them to suggest doing just what you are complaining about. A close friend of mine has 2 kids and she called her daycare provider to tell her she was staying home with one of the sick kids and taking them to the doctor to get checked out, and that both kids wouldn't be in, and the daycare provider told her to bring in the one that wasn't sick so that one didn't get exposed to more germs at the doctors, and so mom could have some alone time with their little one that was sick.

STVUstudent
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting fernjo:

This is about parents sending kids to daycare even when one parent is home and the abuse of the daycare system.  It's about the poor kids. It's about the fact that yes, I'm  here for those babies 45-50 hours a week day in and day out all year long.  The FEW times that mom or dad is home can't they at least BE HOME WITH their child?!?!!  It makes me sad for the child and mad at the parents.  I'm sorry that that struck a nerve for some of you. It must be because you're guilty of doing the above.  We will never see eye to eye on this and it's sad that this site for women has us at each others throats.  The HATE is coming from you moms of daycare kids.  Go back and reread my original post.  I'm not attacking anyone the way you all started out.  You've all just cemented my original feelings with you're immature and angry posts.  I think I will close up shop.  I'm here for children - not to provide service for selfish adults.

This is hilarious!  You are a PAID daycare provider, but you feel that if the parent is not involved in an activity that YOU approve of, they need to come get their kid so you can have PAID TIME OFF.  As an independent provider, you are free to set your own hours.  If you don't think it is right for a child to be in your care for such an extended period of time, change your hours! 

Sorry, working mom or dad, so that you can spend quality time with your children, I will only provide care from 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM.  You must pick them up within 10 minutes of getting off work, or I will call CPS on you.

I had three kids in daycare.  If one of them was home sick, guess what- the others went to daycare!  If one of them had a doctor's appointment, guess what- the others went to daycare!  If I had a day off, guess what- if I had stuff I needed to get done, they went to daycare!  It wasn't about not wanting to spend time with them.  It was about stability, schedule, and having them cared for in a fun environment and not dragging along behind me at the store or the gynecologist's office...  I paid for daycare, whether the kids were there or not.  The provider got paid, whether my kids were there or not.  If it was within normal operating hours and I needed their services, guess what?  MY KIDS WENT TO DAYCARE.

Nutbag...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)