Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

no wonder todays kids have problems

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:58 PM
  • 113 Replies
5 moms liked this

I provide home daycare.  When I started years ago I fully expected that parents would be missing their kids and want to be with them as much as possible.  I expected parents to maybe stop by once in awhile to have lunch with us or take off from work early to surprise jimmy and say "hey kiddo lets you and I go to the park" or take a day off from work to actually tend to their sick child without grumble.  Instead I get parents asking me to stay open past the ten hours I already provide.  I actually have some parents who are teachers that want to bring their kids across town on icy roads even when they themselves have a snow day just so they can have "me time."  And today I had mom bring the brother of a sibling who is home sick - even though dad was at home with the sibling.  WTF?  Even my teens who got home from school wondered why the other sibling was here if his dad was at home with the other one.  And the sibling was not that sick mind you.  I think dad just wanted to "get things done around the house" either that or he's a complete boob who can't handle two kids at one time (even though I handle six at once and his two on a regular basis).  I think some parents care more about the money they are spending than they do their kids.  They want to "get their moneys worth " so to speak .  I feel sorry for todays kids.  Daycares that open at 6am and close at 6pm are NOT to be used the entire time by one child.  Those hours are to accomodate the different work hours and schedules of the different families.  Some people have to be at work by 7am and others at 9am.  Don't abuse the daycare hours and abuse your kids by sending them there that entire time just so you can go work out or grab groceries after you punch out.  Some parents SUCK!  I think I'm going to make my hours much shorter and start to charge more as parents don't value me or their kids and I have lost respect for them. 

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ambermario4ever
by Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:02 PM
4 moms liked this

I stay at home with my kids. And I am planing on homeschooling next year as well. If I have to go some where or run errands I take them with me. I do wish me and hubby could have a date night once every month for a few hours though. But my kids are the most important thing to me and I would Rather  be with them than alone. 

toddler girl                         toddler boy

Sarah                                           Luciano

(10-16-06)                                  (11-27-08)

shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:07 PM
18 moms liked this
You need to close your doors for a while. Take a vacation and don't reopen until your resentment has subsided. This attitude can't make for a very loving and comfortable environment for the kids.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
marchantmom06
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 7:23 PM
12 moms liked this
You clearly are not cut out for your Job. You get paid for a service. Thats to tend to kids. Not to worry about what the parents are doing all day. Get over it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bethy16
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:21 PM
3 moms liked this
You know guys this is the second post by this "person" don't even bother responding its what she wants. We all know she needs to re think what she does for a living. Don't even lower yourselves to respond to her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tooptimistic
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 8:36 PM
8 moms liked this

Wow..

The family pays you to take care of their kids.  :)  Does it really matter what mom and dad are doing while you have them?  I was the director of a center for years.  It didn't matter to me if momma was working, or  put her child into the center for socialization while she shopped and had her nails done for a  few hours a day.  My job was to make sure the children got the best experience possible.

Its great the parents trust you to take care of their little ones.. if they didn't, you wouldn't have a job.

Maybe it would work out better for you to change your hours to 8 to 5.  :) The extra off hours may do you a world of good!

momNstinks
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 9:13 PM
8 moms liked this

I use to have an in home daycare and I can totally relate to where you are coming from. It use to break my heart to see kids in daycare when they could be spending time with their parent(s). Yes, some parents do need some time to get things done but not ALL the time. I would have been one of those parents who would pick my child up right after I got off work. I dont mind my kids being with me while I run errands....I prefer their company.

emeraldangel2.0
by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 10:10 PM
1 mom liked this

this is the second post by the OP. I sincerely doubt she is a valid daycare worker, simply because of her unprofessional attitude

Quoting momNstinks:

I use to have an in home daycare and I can totally relate to where you are coming from. It use to break my heart to see kids in daycare when they could be spending time with their parent(s). Yes, some parents do need some time to get things done but not ALL the time. I would have been one of those parents who would pick my child up right after I got off work. I dont mind my kids being with me while I run errands....I prefer their company.

Rebecca-vi

My Blog                                          Head Admin

fernjo
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:25 AM
3 moms liked this

Thank you to the other provider who posted and said she can totally relate to what I said.  It breaks our hearts to see so many kids being raised by people other than their own parents.  It's like parents don't WANT to be WITH their kids any longer than they have to be.  I just do not understand that.  I have moms in tears when they leave their four month old with me and head back to work that first day their maternity leave is up .  But that is QUICKLY replaced by mom asking me if I'll open earlier or stay open later or if my teen can come and babysit over the weekend.   She never takes a day off to be with the baby, never tries to get off from work early and when she does she uses is to do other things.  I know this from talking to her.  I talk to all my parents and I know exactly what they do and what is going on at home.  I live in a small community.  After awhile I feel like what I do for a living is just adding to the downfall of our society.  This is my home and it is my business and I am the one that interviews the many parents on my wainting list.  I have my pick of familys and I can boot you out any time I choose for pretty much any reason I choose.  I have a strict policy that outlines what MY philosophy is and how I choose to run things and what I expect from the parents.  I have had to add to it each year due to adults not using common sense and trying to push the rules and ignore others and taking advantage of me.  I'm going to have to make it clear that I am not here for their convenience so to speak - I am here for them to go to work and that is it. I am a child advocate and I cannot justify ANYONE no matter how much you pay me leaving a small child (toddlers and babies) in the care of someone else (no matter if they were mary fucking poppins) for 10 plus hours a day day in and day out five days a week.  I don't care what your PLIGHT is and how you didn't foresee that your job hours made it hard to actually PARENT your child.  That aint MY problem.  But I can control how MY daycare is run and who comes here and who does not.  It is CHILD ABUSE to send babies off to daycare for 10 hours each day.  You don't like me saying that but sorry that the TRUTH HURTS.  These are our children we are talking about here and I'm not going to sugar coat it just because it makes you feel uncomfortable.  Go to the other groups on this web site - the ones where providers talk about daycare.  Most say the exact same thing as I do!

illinoismommy83
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:39 AM
3 moms liked this

I can grocery shop in half the time and for $20 less if my kids aren't in tow. It's not that I don't want to spend time with them, but we could use that extra time to play together at home if I get the groceries before the kids. 

Alternatively, if a parent wants some me time, well, that is what they pay you for. 

fernjo
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Thats your choice.  But like I said "no wonder todays kids have so many problems."  Parents find it "too hard" to take them along to get groceries and just can't seem to live without their "me time."  Like I said "no wonder todays kids have so many problems."  But hey, that's your choice.  And I have choices too.  I am not here for you to grocery shop and I will tell that to your face when you come to get your kids.  Don't like it?!  Then bye, bye!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)