Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

no wonder todays kids have problems

Posted by   + Show Post

I provide home daycare.  When I started years ago I fully expected that parents would be missing their kids and want to be with them as much as possible.  I expected parents to maybe stop by once in awhile to have lunch with us or take off from work early to surprise jimmy and say "hey kiddo lets you and I go to the park" or take a day off from work to actually tend to their sick child without grumble.  Instead I get parents asking me to stay open past the ten hours I already provide.  I actually have some parents who are teachers that want to bring their kids across town on icy roads even when they themselves have a snow day just so they can have "me time."  And today I had mom bring the brother of a sibling who is home sick - even though dad was at home with the sibling.  WTF?  Even my teens who got home from school wondered why the other sibling was here if his dad was at home with the other one.  And the sibling was not that sick mind you.  I think dad just wanted to "get things done around the house" either that or he's a complete boob who can't handle two kids at one time (even though I handle six at once and his two on a regular basis).  I think some parents care more about the money they are spending than they do their kids.  They want to "get their moneys worth " so to speak .  I feel sorry for todays kids.  Daycares that open at 6am and close at 6pm are NOT to be used the entire time by one child.  Those hours are to accomodate the different work hours and schedules of the different families.  Some people have to be at work by 7am and others at 9am.  Don't abuse the daycare hours and abuse your kids by sending them there that entire time just so you can go work out or grab groceries after you punch out.  Some parents SUCK!  I think I'm going to make my hours much shorter and start to charge more as parents don't value me or their kids and I have lost respect for them. 

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:58 PM
Replies (61-70):
marchantmom06
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this
This lady isn't talking about late, as in past her open hours. She means if you get off at 3 then you need to immediately pick up your child or she is calling DSS.

Quoting KRIZZ25:

i know i ran a day care .i would say after late 15 min u will have to pay 15 $ for every 5 min..and if ur more than hr late i,ll call the cops..

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FunnyKids
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this
That's the thing...these people weren't late at all

SHE set the hours at 6-6 (or whatever) then gets pissy when they use it. So she gets online (during the day while "watching" said child to claim abuse and complain about her customer (who pays her)

Quoting KRIZZ25:

i know i ran a day care .i would say after late 15 min u will have to pay 15 $ for every 5 min..and if ur more than hr late i,ll call the cops..

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KRIZZ25
i love my black men ,my rocker dudes but the only ones the love me back are babies ,old mean ..can we meet in the middle .
Yesterday at 5:20 PM
by Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:48 PM
Quoting marchantmom06:

as long as thy pay thy i would deal wth it ..i had em not pay and not have stuff for kids .glad i dont do that any more..
Bonneata
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Op I see both sides of the deal here . What I would do is put a limit on how many hrs each kid can be in your care. All the daycares I have ever worked at had a limit. I could not imagine leaving my son in daycare 10 hrs a day. It is mine and his fathers  job to raise our child not daycare. I can also see needing me time. I would also charge an extra few bucks every hr past 6pm . You have a family that needs you too. I must admit I can see dropping your kid off to get mommy time for the day on occasion but it's sound like you are being takin advantage of.

Rooobeee
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 12:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting fernjo:

I provide home daycare.  When I started years ago I fully expected that parents would be missing their kids and want to be with them as much as possible.  I expected parents to maybe stop by once in awhile to have lunch with us or take off from work early to surprise jimmy and say "hey kiddo lets you and I go to the park" or take a day off from work to actually tend to their sick child without grumble.  Instead I get parents asking me to stay open past the ten hours I already provide.  I actually have some parents who are teachers that want to bring their kids across town on icy roads even when they themselves have a snow day just so they can have "me time."  And today I had mom bring the brother of a sibling who is home sick - even though dad was at home with the sibling.  WTF?  Even my teens who got home from school wondered why the other sibling was here if his dad was at home with the other one.  And the sibling was not that sick mind you.  I think dad just wanted to "get things done around the house" either that or he's a complete boob who can't handle two kids at one time (even though I handle six at once and his two on a regular basis).  I think some parents care more about the money they are spending than they do their kids.  They want to "get their moneys worth " so to speak .  I feel sorry for todays kids.  Daycares that open at 6am and close at 6pm are NOT to be used the entire time by one child.  Those hours are to accomodate the different work hours and schedules of the different families.  Some people have to be at work by 7am and others at 9am.  Don't abuse the daycare hours and abuse your kids by sending them there that entire time just so you can go work out or grab groceries after you punch out.  Some parents SUCK!  I think I'm going to make my hours much shorter and start to charge more as parents don't value me or their kids and I have lost respect for them. 

I can understand your vent. While I've never worked as a daycare provider, as a mom, I have had my son in a few daycares when he was younger. And, I will admit that I've tried my best not to take advantage of my son's provider. But I also have some opinions of my own...

For the moms who need daycare past 6 pm, need to either find a provider who does provide care later or arrange for dad or another relative to pick up the child. I had one provider who lived near the military base where I worked. She provided around-the-clock care because many of her moms worked with or were in the military. For me, that meant that during the winter hours I could drop my sleeping son off to her so I can work from 6:30 am to 2:30 pm and pick him up by 3. During the summer hours, I dropped him off just before 7:30 and picked him up by 5:30.

I do have to agree with the mom who left her sick kid with dad and her well kid with you. Even if her son wasn't "that sick," germs do carry. By leaving the well kid with you is her way of trying to make sure he doesn't get sick by his brother. I did the same with my son when I was sick with the stomach flu. I had my roommate drop him off and pick him up the usual times. Of course, I did tell the sitter why and she wished me well.

My son's first daycare provider would charge extra if I came late to pick up my son because she too closed her doors at 6. I was late because of both my work and bus schedule. I paid late charges for about a month before I was able to find a provider that was closer to where I worked. She was patient with me, and as much as I liked her, I couldn't continue with her.

So, I agree that instead of limiting your hours, set some rules as to how long you'll keep the kids and put it in a contract. Also, if you don't already, start charging for anytime a parent comes past the pickup time. You can make exceptions for those who get stuck in traffic, but leaving the kid with you just to go shopping, that's where relatives come in. The provider who charged me late fees expected the money as soon as I came to pick up my son. For the provider who gave around-the-clock care, I told her what my work hours would be for the season and if I was late, I asked my roommate or sister to pick up my son.

I know that moms here have said that you shouldn't care about how they spend their time because they are paying you. One mom also said that the moms whose kids you care for are your employers. You are providing a service for them and they are not your employers. YOU are your own employer. I'm sure that if their employers told them that they were to stay on the job from open to close without any extra pay, then they would raise all kinds of hell. To me, if they leave their kids with you from 6 to 6 to go shopping or work out just because you're opened during those hours, then at that point they are taking advantage of you and that's just being rude.

all4Andrea
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think you fully understand just how difficult it is to just take a day off or get off early if someone doesn't run their own business. I asked for christmas eve off before i even went on maternity leave as it is my daughter's first and I don't want to miss it but I still have to work. Calling off for any reason other than a medical emergency is nearly impossible for me and many others. I work the graveyard shift simply so that I can be home with my child all day and her father can watch her at night but options like that are not possible for everyone.

When it comes to keeping one child home sick and sending the other to daycare they are many reasons why the parents could've chosen that option. Maybe they don't want to have the healthy child near the sick one since colds spread through households like the plague. Maybe they want their sick child to get some rest and another child making noise or trying to play would disturb them.

Some parents want their children to be well socialized. 

Etc.

The point is yes you are right, some parents abuse daycares and don't spend enough time with their kids but many have good reasons for leaving their children in someone else's care so don't be quite so judgy. It's not good for you or the children you care for. If you truly believe these aren't getting the love they deserve at home then be thankful that you have the oportunity to make them feel loved.

And a couple things to think about: its not child abuse to leave kids at daycare unless the care givers (in this case YOU) abuse them which I highly doubt you do as you seem to care. And also: you're on here bashing parents for wanting a little time away from their kids but you don't want to take care of them a second longer than you need to even when you are being PAID to spent time with them. Smh

Jessica198027
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:02 AM

I stay at home and my kisd are in a public school alday right now, but I am always getting calls for behavior to come deal with them, so I too am considering home school next year for all three of my kids.

Quoting ambermario4ever:

I stay at home with my kids. And I am planing on homeschooling next year as well. If I have to go some where or run errands I take them with me. I do wish me and hubby could have a date night once every month for a few hours though. But my kids are the most important thing to me and I would Rather  be with them than alone. 

StarryRain
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Actually, kids have been raised by nannies, nurses, tutors, governessess, and the like, for centuries. Many parents rarely saw their children after birth, especially the wealthier families. Busy fathers, socialite mothers, wet nurses and nannies that lived in the home... Children were often treated as better seen and not heard, yet, for the most part, they grew up into well adjusted adults. Eventually, yes, as a nation, and then as a world, we started taking personal responsibility for our kids..... But I would venture to guess that no matter how intelligent any argument is, it is invalid in your opinion, so I'll stop there.

Quoting fernjo:

Thank you to the other provider who posted and said she can totally relate to what I said.  It breaks our hearts to see so many kids being raised by people other than their own parents.  It's like parents don't WANT to be WITH their kids any longer than they have to be.  I just do not understand that.  I have moms in tears when they leave their four month old with me and head back to work that first day their maternity leave is up .  But that is QUICKLY replaced by mom asking me if I'll open earlier or stay open later or if my teen can come and babysit over the weekend.   She never takes a day off to be with the baby, never tries to get off from work early and when she does she uses is to do other things.  I know this from talking to her.  I talk to all my parents and I know exactly what they do and what is going on at home.  I live in a small community.  After awhile I feel like what I do for a living is just adding to the downfall of our society.  This is my home and it is my business and I am the one that interviews the many parents on my wainting list.  I have my pick of familys and I can boot you out any time I choose for pretty much any reason I choose.  I have a strict policy that outlines what MY philosophy is and how I choose to run things and what I expect from the parents.  I have had to add to it each year due to adults not using common sense and trying to push the rules and ignore others and taking advantage of me.  I'm going to have to make it clear that I am not here for their convenience so to speak - I am here for them to go to work and that is it. I am a child advocate and I cannot justify ANYONE no matter how much you pay me leaving a small child (toddlers and babies) in the care of someone else (no matter if they were mary fucking poppins) for 10 plus hours a day day in and day out five days a week.  I don't care what your PLIGHT is and how you didn't foresee that your job hours made it hard to actually PARENT your child.  That aint MY problem.  But I can control how MY daycare is run and who comes here and who does not.  It is CHILD ABUSE to send babies off to daycare for 10 hours each day.  You don't like me saying that but sorry that the TRUTH HURTS.  These are our children we are talking about here and I'm not going to sugar coat it just because it makes you feel uncomfortable.  Go to the other groups on this web site - the ones where providers talk about daycare.  Most say the exact same thing as I do!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow, sad.  Doesn't surprise me unfortunately.

SlapItHigh
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:15 AM
1 mom liked this

And sorry you have to deal for that :(.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)