Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

no wonder todays kids have problems

Posted by   + Show Post

I provide home daycare.  When I started years ago I fully expected that parents would be missing their kids and want to be with them as much as possible.  I expected parents to maybe stop by once in awhile to have lunch with us or take off from work early to surprise jimmy and say "hey kiddo lets you and I go to the park" or take a day off from work to actually tend to their sick child without grumble.  Instead I get parents asking me to stay open past the ten hours I already provide.  I actually have some parents who are teachers that want to bring their kids across town on icy roads even when they themselves have a snow day just so they can have "me time."  And today I had mom bring the brother of a sibling who is home sick - even though dad was at home with the sibling.  WTF?  Even my teens who got home from school wondered why the other sibling was here if his dad was at home with the other one.  And the sibling was not that sick mind you.  I think dad just wanted to "get things done around the house" either that or he's a complete boob who can't handle two kids at one time (even though I handle six at once and his two on a regular basis).  I think some parents care more about the money they are spending than they do their kids.  They want to "get their moneys worth " so to speak .  I feel sorry for todays kids.  Daycares that open at 6am and close at 6pm are NOT to be used the entire time by one child.  Those hours are to accomodate the different work hours and schedules of the different families.  Some people have to be at work by 7am and others at 9am.  Don't abuse the daycare hours and abuse your kids by sending them there that entire time just so you can go work out or grab groceries after you punch out.  Some parents SUCK!  I think I'm going to make my hours much shorter and start to charge more as parents don't value me or their kids and I have lost respect for them. 

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:58 PM
Replies (111-113):
momajo1960
by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 7:24 PM

I don't think I could or would even think of leaving my child with some of these providers.  This is your job, watching children, if you don't enjoy it get a new profession. Some parents depend on good loving daycare to help "raise" their children because situations have changed since they had their child. When that happens are the parents suppose to just get rid of their children or what? I had three children and my situation changed dramatically in one day and I was required to work two jobs and depended on my wonderful daycare lady to help me, thank God she was loving and understanding when I would have to stop on my way home to pick up groceries before I picked up my childrenchildren. Thank God she understood when I had to just sit in the car for 5 minutes before I got out of the car and walk in and pick up my babies. I paid her by the week and if I went over the amount of hours on her weekly rate I paid her the required amount.  She was loving and wonderful. No she was not a substitute for me, but my children got the very best that I was able to do during that hard time.  after reading some of these caregivers I realized how much I was blessed having a wonderful lady to take care of my children without her judging me for doing what I felt as a mother was necessary at that time. Most of you caregivers need to get out of the daycare business and find something else to do. If you have a weekly amount and they pay you for the amount of hours you say is in that weekly amount you have NO business complaining. and you have no business saying what they can or cannot do during the time they are paying you.  

grownsexy
by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 7:53 PM

I get what you are saying. I don't think the other moms quite understood. I worked with a parent that took her child to take care when the doors opened picked him up when the doors closed. When the doors of that daycare closed he was off to a twenty four hour daycare center. She didn't say that she didn't care for the children she just said that she wished that parent's cared more about their children. I totally get you.

marchantmom06
by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 8:03 PM
You totally get her?? She wants to call DSS on parents who PAY HER to watch their kids, if those parents don't come directly from work to get the kids. And who don't keep all their kids home if one is sick. She wants to CALL DSS on the parents who PAY HER if they go to the grocery store without their kids. You GET THAT??

Quoting grownsexy:

I get what you are saying. I don't think the other moms quite understood. I worked with a parent that took her child to take care when the doors opened picked him up when the doors closed. When the doors of that daycare closed he was off to a twenty four hour daycare center. She didn't say that she didn't care for the children she just said that she wished that parent's cared more about their children. I totally get you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN