Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

no wonder todays kids have problems

Posted by   + Show Post

I provide home daycare.  When I started years ago I fully expected that parents would be missing their kids and want to be with them as much as possible.  I expected parents to maybe stop by once in awhile to have lunch with us or take off from work early to surprise jimmy and say "hey kiddo lets you and I go to the park" or take a day off from work to actually tend to their sick child without grumble.  Instead I get parents asking me to stay open past the ten hours I already provide.  I actually have some parents who are teachers that want to bring their kids across town on icy roads even when they themselves have a snow day just so they can have "me time."  And today I had mom bring the brother of a sibling who is home sick - even though dad was at home with the sibling.  WTF?  Even my teens who got home from school wondered why the other sibling was here if his dad was at home with the other one.  And the sibling was not that sick mind you.  I think dad just wanted to "get things done around the house" either that or he's a complete boob who can't handle two kids at one time (even though I handle six at once and his two on a regular basis).  I think some parents care more about the money they are spending than they do their kids.  They want to "get their moneys worth " so to speak .  I feel sorry for todays kids.  Daycares that open at 6am and close at 6pm are NOT to be used the entire time by one child.  Those hours are to accomodate the different work hours and schedules of the different families.  Some people have to be at work by 7am and others at 9am.  Don't abuse the daycare hours and abuse your kids by sending them there that entire time just so you can go work out or grab groceries after you punch out.  Some parents SUCK!  I think I'm going to make my hours much shorter and start to charge more as parents don't value me or their kids and I have lost respect for them. 

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:58 PM
Replies (21-30):
fernjo
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:44 AM

As long as he isn't with the provider for more hours than he is with you during the week then I guess I'd be ok with you and hubby dumping him off on someone while you have "me time" for one day.  But daycare is not like getting a babysitter or grandma.  How about spend the day with him during the week and on Sat. evening go out to a movie or dinner for three hours?  Dumping him off for an entire day while your out "runnng errends" is neglecting him the time to learn for you and have experiences OUTSIDE with you.  At daycare he's stuck in one house all day long.  He needs life experiences.  Not just movie night now and then with you. 

fernjo
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Society had clearly changed for the worse as I read the posts on here from "moms."  I feel even worse for todays kids after reading the replys. 

krystlzd3
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:53 AM

My kids are fine. Back when they were in daycare, I used the time to get things done. I usually got off at their lunch/nap time....so I used those 2-3 hours to run errands rather than drag tired cranky kids around with me. My position ended, so I pulled them out of daycare. I have a new job, with new hours, so I won't be able to do that anymore, but atleast the kids will be well rested and fed, rather than tired, hungry, and cranky when we do go run errands.

fernjo
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Like I said - society has certainly changed.  Moms think nothing of leaving he kids at daycare so they can run errends and "get things done."  Moms didn't do that years ago and the kids were better off for it.  Keep telling yourself the lie that "they are fine" if thats what makes you live with yourself but some of us know better.

mybabybugssmile
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 10:57 AM

When a parent cancels on a day and doesnt send their kids, do you still charge them? Even a reduced rate?

mich.el.le
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I was with you until you said it was abuse. And I think my kids and I would both prefer I go to the grocery store by myself while they played.

The woman in the avi pic is not me, she is my inspiration.  I am a wife, a mother, and an aspiring trainer and nutritionist. I love seeing people get fit and healthy to lead the lives they are meant to live.

MCA23
by Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm very glad my babysitter isn't so critical of me.  We have an important partnership and she feels like a member of our family.  I do agree that 10-12 hour days away from home is too much, but not every parent does that by choice.  The ones that have to be away from their kids that much are already feeling terrible about it, and they don't need you standing by with your professional opinion.

But check this out- my husband works 4 days a week and on one of those days off, my son usually goes to play at daycare for a while even though dad is home.  He ASKS us to go, because he loves it there.  That's where his little buddies are.  Both of my kids are very confident and outgoing, and I do think having them exposed to a social environment outside of the home and away from mom & dad plays a part. 

Maevelyn
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Why don't you charge hourly?

mich.el.le
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Quoting fernjo:

Like I said - society has certainly changed.  Moms think nothing of leaving he kids at daycare so they can run errends and "get things done."  Moms didn't do that years ago and the kids were better off for it.  Keep telling yourself the lie that "they are fine" if thats what makes you live with yourself but some of us know better.

Lol.  Oh, noob. You're so entertaining. 

The woman in the avi pic is not me, she is my inspiration.  I am a wife, a mother, and an aspiring trainer and nutritionist. I love seeing people get fit and healthy to lead the lives they are meant to live.

Saille717
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 11:35 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm equating this vent in my head with somebody who works retail sales and complains that people are out shopping.....srsly? 

I provide day care.  I'm private at the moment and work solely for one family.  I spend more hours in a week with her toddler than she does because she's an RN at a local ER and works 12+ hour shifts.  Sometimes I even have him overnight so she can sleep.  She has a calling....she's been working toward this career her entire life (we've known each other since we were 12) -- she's also a mother with four boys.  Her three older boys are polite, respectful, healthy, nice boys, even though she's had her career.  Why?  Because it's about the quality of the relationship between the parent and child/ren, not about the quantity of time spent.  It's about the example that a parent sets for a child, about the structure that the child has, about the respect and the love, not about having mom at their beck and call at all times.  

I do get where you're coming from....you think more parents should be more involved with their kids and you're just not seeing it.  Well, you don't see what goes on at home, you only see the part of their lives that is at your day care.  And even if you have assumptions, there's nothing you can do about any of it.  You are judging people and that's a bad road to go down.  

Anybody who's done day care knows that the kids are great, it's the parents that ruin it and make it difficult.  Just do what you do and try to refrain from judging others.  They're no more perfect than you are.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)