Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

no wonder todays kids have problems

Posted by   + Show Post

I provide home daycare.  When I started years ago I fully expected that parents would be missing their kids and want to be with them as much as possible.  I expected parents to maybe stop by once in awhile to have lunch with us or take off from work early to surprise jimmy and say "hey kiddo lets you and I go to the park" or take a day off from work to actually tend to their sick child without grumble.  Instead I get parents asking me to stay open past the ten hours I already provide.  I actually have some parents who are teachers that want to bring their kids across town on icy roads even when they themselves have a snow day just so they can have "me time."  And today I had mom bring the brother of a sibling who is home sick - even though dad was at home with the sibling.  WTF?  Even my teens who got home from school wondered why the other sibling was here if his dad was at home with the other one.  And the sibling was not that sick mind you.  I think dad just wanted to "get things done around the house" either that or he's a complete boob who can't handle two kids at one time (even though I handle six at once and his two on a regular basis).  I think some parents care more about the money they are spending than they do their kids.  They want to "get their moneys worth " so to speak .  I feel sorry for todays kids.  Daycares that open at 6am and close at 6pm are NOT to be used the entire time by one child.  Those hours are to accomodate the different work hours and schedules of the different families.  Some people have to be at work by 7am and others at 9am.  Don't abuse the daycare hours and abuse your kids by sending them there that entire time just so you can go work out or grab groceries after you punch out.  Some parents SUCK!  I think I'm going to make my hours much shorter and start to charge more as parents don't value me or their kids and I have lost respect for them. 

by on Dec. 18, 2012 at 6:58 PM
Replies (31-40):
EarlGrayHot
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 11:44 AM
2 moms liked this

I had no idea that a daycare would have rules like "I'm not here so you can grocery shop."  Actually, I don't agree that time away from parents equates to kids misbehaving or whatever fault you wish tpo put on these parents.  THe kid who perped the horror in Connecticut spent A LOT of time with his mom since she home-schooled him and we all know the outcome of that.  I think it's a specious argument to claim being separated from your parents is bad and causes most of the world's troubles.  My daughter spent time in a couple of daycares and she turned out just fine.  I don't really see that it's your business to dictate to any parent what he or she does in the time the child is with you.  I think you should rethink that part of your complaint. 

Limiting hours makes sense and mentioning any problems with the child acting out but beyond that-not your call to make.  You are in a service profession and you do have to serve without harshly judging anyone.  Perhaps this field is too much for you at the moment and you're reading too much into parents dropping off their kids. 

marchantmom06
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:28 PM
2 moms liked this
Yet you are bitching about your "me" time. Pot!!

Quoting fernjo:

Thats your choice.  But like I said "no wonder todays kids have so many problems."  Parents find it "too hard" to take them along to get groceries and just can't seem to live without their "me time."  Like I said "no wonder todays kids have so many problems."  But hey, that's your choice.  And I have choices too.  I am not here for you to grocery shop and I will tell that to your face when you come to get your kids.  Don't like it?!  Then bye, bye!!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
one_on_the_way
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:47 PM
2 moms liked this

As for the dad who was home with his sick child --- sometimes it's nice as a parent and as a sick child to get some one-on-one time between the child/parent.  

If a child stays home from daycare for a day, do you not charge them for that day?  Most daycares charge whether the child is there or not.  

I'm sorry, but if I had two kids and one of them was sick, I would still send the well child to daycare.  I love my snuggle time with my son when he's sick.  If I had another child who would need attention, it would be harder to give my sick child the full TLC he needs.  

As far as money --- I'm home right now with a sick child and guess what that means for me.  It not only means that I will be paying for a day he is not in daycare, it will also mean I will be losing income from work today AND I will actually be paying daycare MORE out-of-pocket.  It's a double whammy.

I am grateful that I get child care assistance.  I am approved for 30 hours/week of their assistance, which means my normal out-of-pocket expense this semester is only about $45.00/wk.  However, the child care assistance only covers for the time my son is actually in daycare.  So, this week, child care assistance will cover LESS, but the daycare charges the same (even though he wasn't there today) --- which means I have to pay MORE.

It sounds crazy (because it is) --- but there was one day where I took him even though I had the day off work.  Why?  Because I couldn't AFFORD to NOT take him!  Seriously -- I didn't have enough money that pay period to afford extra out-of-pocket child care costs.  

As far as people 'getting their money worth'.....parents have busy lives....they have a lot of things to get done and some of those things are easier to get done without children along.  No one would argue that.  I agree that a child shouldn't be at a daycare from 6am-6pm....but, if a parent works 7:30-4 and wants to have some peaceful grocery shopping after that....and they pick their child up at 5:00, so be it!  

And ---- what do you think of THIS scenerio --- my son's daycare has asked me to drop him off EARLIER so as to 'not disrupt the routine of other children'.  I don't have class until 11:00 and I was bringing my son to daycare at 10:30.  Well, this wasn't a 'convenient' time for daycare so they asked if I could bring him at 9:00 (when the kids eat breakfast) and it would be an 'easier' time for Evan and the other kids.  Also, they do 'preschool' activities after breakfast so Evan was missing out on that and some of the art projects they do.  I now try to bring him around 9:00 --- but ONLY because I think it is easier for my son and I think he likes the activities they do between 9:30 and 10:30.  Even though it is an inconvenience for me to bring him before *I* need to, he likes it and his transition when he gets there goes more smoothly and the daycare teacher likes it better, so that's what I do.  

Don't be so judgemental of your EMPLOYERS!!!  Without those 'sucky' parents, you wouldn't have a job.  I agree with the other who say you need to focus on caring for the children you're paid to care for and worry less about why their parents brought their child to you. 

emeraldangel2.0
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:50 PM
2 moms liked this

you're nuts

one_on_the_way
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Quoting fernjo:

Thats your choice.  But like I said "no wonder todays kids have so many problems."  Parents find it "too hard" to take them along to get groceries and just can't seem to live without their "me time."  Like I said "no wonder todays kids have so many problems."  But hey, that's your choice.  And I have choices too.  I am not here for you to grocery shop and I will tell that to your face when you come to get your kids.  Don't like it?!  Then bye, bye!!!!

So, do you have something in your provider contract that says "child must be dropped no earlier than the time it takes you to travel from daycare to your place of employment.....and picked up no later than the time it takes you to travel from work to daycare."  Do you have it written down that you ONLY provide care for children when their parents are at WORK - no more than that? 

I'm curious -- what are your rates?  Do you charge hourly/daily/weekly?  When a child stays home sick, do you not charge for that day?  When a child is picked up early, are they charged less?  I know you mentioned about parents wanting their 'money's worth" --- I'm just curious how you do your billing.

How many children do you care for who are there from 6am-6pm on a regular basis?

one_on_the_way
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 1:13 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting fernjo:

As long as he isn't with the provider for more hours than he is with you during the week then I guess I'd be ok with you and hubby dumping him off on someone while you have "me time" for one day.  But daycare is not like getting a babysitter or grandma.  How about spend the day with him during the week and on Sat. evening go out to a movie or dinner for three hours?  Dumping him off for an entire day while your out "runnng errends" is neglecting him the time to learn for you and have experiences OUTSIDE with you.  At daycare he's stuck in one house all day long.  He needs life experiences.  Not just movie night now and then with you. 

So, that is how you view the parents who use your service while they run errands......NEGLECTFUL parents?  The children in your care get 'dumped off' on you?  If you have the kids in your care 'stuck in one house all day long' I can surely say I would NOT take my son to you.  My son has been in two daycares and both of them took walks to the park....went to feed ducks....go to the Natural History Museum....go swimming....go to the Nature Center......last week, my son and others in his daycare took a field trip to the grocery store (btw --- since this seems SO IMPORTANT to you, might I add that I always take my son grocery shopping with me on Saturday or Sunday -- I don't shop during the week --- praise the LORD, my son has the grocery shopping 'life experience' on a regular basis!  I must be a rock star parent, huh?!?).  He does art projects every day -- does sorting, counting, alphabet, singing, dancing.  

You REALLY make your at home day care sound like a completely MISERABLE place and I feel so sorry for the kids in your care....and for the parents who are paying you their hard-earned money to care for their kids (whether they are at work or grabbing lunch with a friend --- none of your business!).  

And if you think that a parent can't provide their child with 'life experiences' outside of the hours the child is normally in your care, you obviously aren't a very good parent yourself.  Why are the 'life experiences' only valuable if they are on 'your time frame' and on 'your terms'?

littlelamb303
by Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:01 PM
2 moms liked this

I understand what you are saying.  I was a full time teacher when my dd was in daycare.  She only went during the school year and I pulled her out for all school breaks and in the summer.  I was also the first one to pick her up at 3;15.  I could have easily left her in daycare when I was off(I paid for it) but I wanted her home with me.  I can think of maybe two times I left her until 6 at daycare, and that was because I wanted to christmas shop for her after work.  It amazes me that parents don't want the time with their kids.  I did not become pregnant with her easily and she is my only one.  I want as much time with her as possible.  She is almost 16 now and I dread when she will leave my home.  Most parents are so excited to get rid of them, it sickens me.   I can see the complete lack of parenting now they are teenagers too.  The ones bashing you on here don't understand.  Some people had kids just because they though it was the thing to do, by popular choice.  many were never ready to sacrafice for them.  They do SUCK

littlelamb303
by Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:05 PM
3 moms liked this

I am not sure why people are bashing the OP, but what she is saying is true.  I am not talking about a "once in a while" thing.  What she is saying is clearly abuse and you know what?  Don't have kids if you are not ready to put them first before your needs.  GROW UP.  Some should have waited until they were mature enough to have kids

emeraldangel2.0
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Quoting littlelamb303:

I am not sure why people are bashing the OP, but what she is saying is true.  I am not talking about a "once in a while" thing.  What she is saying is clearly abuse and you know what?  Don't have kids if you are not ready to put them first before your needs.  GROW UP.  Some should have waited until they were mature enough to have kids

read her other post then come back and say that

Rebecca-vi

My Blog                                          Head Admin

FunnyKids
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 2:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Don't do daycare if you don't like watching someone else's kid. And STOP judging your CUSTOMERS.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)