Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Baking moms I neeeed yooouuu!!!

Posted by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:38 AM
  • 24 Replies

I'm wanting to make these for one of my dh's coworkers. It is a diabetic recipe and I've never made anything like this before. I found the recipe online but I don't know if it's any good since I've never made on like this so what do you guys think.

Minty Mistletoe Cookies

2 egg whites , at room temperature 
1/8 tsp green food coloring , 2 drops 
1/2 tsp vanilla extract 
1/8 tsp mint extract 
1/3 cup sugar 
1/3 cup semi sweet chocolate chips 

Directions
1 Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Coat nonstick baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
2 In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, food color, and vanilla and mint extract with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the sugar; beat until stiff peaks form.
3 Fold in the chocolate chips, then drop by tablespoonfuls onto the baking sheets.
4 Bake for 10 minutes. Turn off the oven but leave the cookies in the oven until cool.

by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tetiry92
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:41 AM
My mom and dad are both diabetic and I have found the best way to bake for them is to stick to Splenda and carob recipes also agave. All are delicious and easily found on google =)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
babylove041810
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:46 AM

This one says you can substitute the sugar for splenda. 

I've just never made anything wih just eggwhites and sugar as the basic ingredients. I've always used the flour and brown sugar and butter (etc.) recipes so I didn't know if this one would be good.

Quoting Tetiry92:

My mom and dad are both diabetic and I have found the best way to bake for them is to stick to Splenda and carob recipes also agave. All are delicious and easily found on google =)

babylove041810
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:51 AM
Bump
babylove041810
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 1:12 AM
Bumpity????
LivysMama
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 1:44 AM

I wish I could help, but I'm not really sure...I've never had to bake for people with diabetes, so here's a bump :)

MissMal1
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Seems like it's missing flour. I tried making a cookie recipe without flour once and it ended up as a burnt cookie puddle in the bottom of the oven. So watch it closely as it's cooking. I don't see why you couldn't add flour if needed.

I'm not sure what the texture would be like when they are cooked, as the only thing holding them together would be egg whites.

Doesn't look like it would cost too much to try.

Ummm... good luck!

Daya81
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 3:43 AM
2 moms liked this

these are basically meringues. you'll have to beat the eggs for awhile but keep an eye on them. sub splenda for sugar otherwise it's not really a diabetic-friendly recipe, just a meringue cookie.

apoynter
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Growing up, my older brother was diabetic....Mom made oatmeal cookies with applesauce instead of sugar.....we never noticed that there was anything different about them! (just that they are a bit 'denser' cookie than, say, chocolate chip)  There are many versions of that recipe on cooks.com.

bupkie
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 7:53 AM
3 moms liked this

I know it's not much help, but I made similar "meringue cookies" that were from a low carb recipe.   I did use splenda, as DH is used to.  I also made a batch with just Sugar.   The ones with Splenda (for baking) didn't turn out that well.   I think it takes some trial and error with recipes sometimes.  I find that Allrecipes.com is a great help as the recipes are rated and people will give comments on what turned out well or not, and what they did to improve the recipe that worked... or not!   

Go to 

Allrecipes.com and search for Low Sugar Cookie and see what comes up?  There are quite a few.

lyngerdam
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 12:46 PM

This is basically a meringue. Don't try to do these if there is any humidity - they will become gummy, instead of nice and crispy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)