Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

I really want to introduce my baby to cereal when she hits 3 months only at bed time. i was wondering who else has done this

by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 6:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
Aamy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 7:34 PM
Babys can choke on pure bm/formula .... But what ever.

Quoting sleepymommy87:

Yes, it is.

Quoting Aamy:

No its not.

Quoting sleepymommy87:

Major choking hazard.

Quoting MistressMinerva:

As long as its mixed with the milk so that she can still suck out of bottle.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sleepymommy87
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 7:37 PM
Babies can choke on anything but choking on grainy thickened milk is WAY more likely to occur and much more dangerous. Especially if aspirated. But whatever.

Quoting Aamy:

Babys can choke on pure bm/formula .... But what ever.

Quoting sleepymommy87:

Yes, it is.

Quoting Aamy:

No its not.

Quoting sleepymommy87:

Major choking hazard.

Quoting MistressMinerva:

As long as its mixed with the milk so that she can still suck out of bottle.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HotMamaRosie
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I did...and my daughter developed all types of food allergies. I do not recommend it at all

Heatherp23
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Ok for those who say it's a "major choking hazard" it's really not. As long as you are with your baby when they are drinking the bottle with cereal mixed then your baby should be fine. It's really only a "choking hazard" for babies who are left alone and unattended while eating. I have been giving my son cereal in his bottle since he was 2 months old. His dr recommended it for reflux. He has had no issues with it and seems to be completely satisfied with it. I do burp him more since he's been on the cereal so he knows he is full. I don't want him to over eat and get a stomach ache. If you are wanting to do it, talk to her dr. Or you could even test it out and see how she does :) if she is uncomfortable with it or acts really gassy or different I would wait a few weeks and try again

emeraldangel2.0
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 7:47 PM

your kid, your choice. the sanctimommies will try to dissuade you but as long as your pedi says okay, then go for it

Bethy16
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 7:54 PM
You know I really think I am getting out of this group. The person asked a question a few people answered with their opinion and then the nastiness starts. Back and forth. I agree go with what your ped says. I gave you the advice mine gave me. With my 4 yr old I had to mix cereal in with her formula because of severe reflux and gerd. My Dr recommended oatmeal instead of rice because on top of everything else it can constipate them and my daughter had enough digestive problems. Please people stop bashing each other it makes it very hard to come into this group!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjchick75
by Member on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:12 PM

We don't do rice cereal because it has about the same nutrition as the box it comes in and taste about the same as well. We wait until around 8 or 9 months to start solids and start with small pieces of fruits, veggies, and meat. I certainly wouldn't do it at 3 months, I'd wait until 6 months and in a bowl with a spoon. But it's your baby not mine. 

Darkangel166
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:27 PM

This...

and I started rice ceral around 2 months and all my girls did great with it,no allergies as well.

Quoting Heatherp23:

Ok for those who say it's a "major choking hazard" it's really not. As long as you are with your baby when they are drinking the bottle with cereal mixed then your baby should be fine. It's really only a "choking hazard" for babies who are left alone and unattended while eating. I have been giving my son cereal in his bottle since he was 2 months old. His dr recommended it for reflux. He has had no issues with it and seems to be completely satisfied with it. I do burp him more since he's been on the cereal so he knows he is full. I don't want him to over eat and get a stomach ache. If you are wanting to do it, talk to her dr. Or you could even test it out and see how she does :) if she is uncomfortable with it or acts really gassy or different I would wait a few weeks and try again

Beth3721
by on Dec. 19, 2012 at 8:34 PM

We tried at three months and it didn't work.  They don't understand at that stage and they will just spit it out or gag if it goes down their throat. Doctors and nurses will tell you not to mix it in with a bottle. That could cause quite a few problems.

SlapItHigh
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Not me.  No solids until at least 6 months and never any rice cereal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN