Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What's the weidest or wackiest holiday gift you've ever received?

Posted by   + Show Post

So I absolutely believe that it's the thought that counts ...but I have to admit, some gift choices totally give me pause. One year, my mother in law got me cooking lessons. The message was loud and clear -- she hated my cooking. My best friend once got a case of baby wipes from a boyfriend -- and she doesn't even have kids! He thought they would be handy for wiping up messes.  Anyone else ever get a gift that made them think --what the heck?

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Replies (111-120):
KaysMom06
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 10:42 PM

My MIL sent us one of those dolls that looks like a real child. It was when I was pregnant with my firstborn, everyone was hoping SHE would be a boy (other than me). She named him William. He freaked me out. I dont know why she did it or what she was thinking when she did but I pretended I liked it.

piercea222
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 10:59 PM

I have a great aunt who is loaded..and dont get me wrong, just because I know she has money doesnt mean i expect some extravagant gift but she gives me things like her own used slippers :/ lol its kind of funny but it sucks.

rachelv817
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 11:04 PM

My maternal grandma gave me some fake black roses for Christmas once... I thought it was weird and it ended up being entirely inapproriate and awkward because I got them a few months later and opened the present while at my paternal grandma's house where my paternal grandpa was on his deathbed...  I asked my mom about it and she said that my maternal grandma thought I could hang them on my wall. blank stare

Lordgodempress
by Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 11:25 PM

The only time I ever remember getting a present I hated, was the one year my mom gave me pajamas on Christmas Eve.  Was really mad at her and yelled and slammed a door.  I was 4 and a little brat apparently

VintageWife
by Bronze Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 11:25 PM

OMGosh...I have to find one of those for dh! He is Star Trek obsessed and we have a pizza cutter joke between us. He thought I stole one from his family once. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! 

Quoting KaysMom06:

I gave my father in law a Star Trek pizza cutter. I thought it was a great idea, but now that I think of it.. it might've been a bit weird.

MadHatter89
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 11:33 PM

I got one of those wooden clothes drying racks that folds up from my MIL. What is even weirder probably is that I was legit excited about it. I couldn't find one, and needed it for cloth diapers! I love practical gifts lol.

shortcakes13
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 11:39 PM
A box of half used corn starch..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 11:39 PM

No

MamaKarrot
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/dea2/?srp=1

lolol it's awesome.

Quoting VintageWife:

OMGosh...I have to find one of those for dh! He is Star Trek obsessed and we have a pizza cutter joke between us. He thought I stole one from his family once. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! 

Quoting KaysMom06:

I gave my father in law a Star Trek pizza cutter. I thought it was a great idea, but now that I think of it.. it might've been a bit weird.

MamaKarrot
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this

lol I loved my rack for cloth diapers as well, so I totally get that.

One year I got MIL this drying rack octopus thing from ikea:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80189663/

She raved about mine for so long that I got one for her.  She was thrilled when she opened it, but everyone else in the room was like "huh?" 

Quoting MadHatter89:

I got one of those wooden clothes drying racks that folds up from my MIL. What is even weirder probably is that I was legit excited about it. I couldn't find one, and needed it for cloth diapers! I love practical gifts lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)