Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What's the weidest or wackiest holiday gift you've ever received?

Posted by   + Show Post

So I absolutely believe that it's the thought that counts ...but I have to admit, some gift choices totally give me pause. One year, my mother in law got me cooking lessons. The message was loud and clear -- she hated my cooking. My best friend once got a case of baby wipes from a boyfriend -- and she doesn't even have kids! He thought they would be handy for wiping up messes.  Anyone else ever get a gift that made them think --what the heck?

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Replies (141-150):
JennikNan
by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 2:46 PM
When I was 15 my aunt gave me an embroidered Winnie the Pooh jacket that looked like a 6yr old would wear
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KaysMom06
by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 4:02 PM

I think I got it on Amazon. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Think-Geek-Enterprise-Pizza-Cutter/dp/B004FQDWP0

Quoting VintageWife:

OMGosh...I have to find one of those for dh! He is Star Trek obsessed and we have a pizza cutter joke between us. He thought I stole one from his family once. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! 

Quoting KaysMom06:

I gave my father in law a Star Trek pizza cutter. I thought it was a great idea, but now that I think of it.. it might've been a bit weird.

mariewyatt
by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 5:47 PM

My uncle and his "friend" apparently decided it'd be great to buy a 15 year old me a whole bunch of strappy, sparkly thongs for xmas. I opened it in front of the whole family too. Worst part was I don't think either of the guys understood how panty sizing works and I ended up with ones that were like 5 sizes too big.

littlepinkrose
by Member on Dec. 22, 2012 at 7:43 PM

An ex got me a t-shirt with a unicorn and fairy stuff on it. It was actually really nice looking and I liked it I still have it and wear it I also found out years later that he stole it.

rachelv817
by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I would think that was cool, but I am a nostalgic person :)

Quoting torttia:

My FIL gave dh cd's that he burnt from the library...WTF lol. And my in-laws give my DS used toys and clothes for holidays....which would be fine, except they used to be DH's!!!!!! The crap is like 20 year old and has been through 3 kids. Gosh I love them but seriously?!

rachelv817
by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 8:04 PM

I was like, wow a handgun is a pretty cool gift.  Then I got to the "he was seven" part and changed my mind...

Quoting LucyHarper:

I never got a bad present, but my husband got a pack of cigarettes and a revolver handgun, with ammo, from his uncles one Christmas. He was seven. 

torttia
by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 8:13 PM

My MIL gives me DH's old stuff that has sentiment like the hat he wore from the hospital and his bow ties from his first holidays and his favorite books and toys but FIL and Step-MIL give us like 20 year old army men, books that are falling apart and clothes with holes in them.

Quoting rachelv817:

Quoting torttia:

My FIL gave dh cd's that he burnt from the library...WTF lol. And my in-laws give my DS used toys and clothes for holidays....which would be fine, except they used to be DH's!!!!!! The crap is like 20 year old and has been through 3 kids. Gosh I love them but seriously?!

rachelv817
by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 8:17 PM
Quoting torttia:

My MIL gives me DH's old stuff that has sentiment like the hat he wore from the hospital and his bow ties from his first holidays and his favorite books and toys but FIL and Step-MIL give us like 20 year old army men, books that are falling apart and clothes with holes in them.

Quoting rachelv817:

Quoting torttia:

Holey clothes are a terrible present unless you happen to be an excellent seamstress I guess.

ADHDmommyandson
by on Dec. 22, 2012 at 11:20 PM

one yr my sis gave me and my other half a pair of gloves 

yepp that's right 1 right hand glove 1 left hand glove and addressed the card to me and  him we smiled said thank you he wore the left i wore the right that night and other hands held each other to stay warm lol 

2 yrs later i got her and her husband a pair of slippers :D 

buggies_mommy
by on Dec. 23, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Although I haven't received it yet, my DH told me one of the gifts my MIL has for me. She is giving me a bottle of wine...which is a perfectly acceptable gift...if you AREN'T 6 months pregnant!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN