Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What's the weidest or wackiest holiday gift you've ever received?

Posted by   + Show Post

So I absolutely believe that it's the thought that counts ...but I have to admit, some gift choices totally give me pause. One year, my mother in law got me cooking lessons. The message was loud and clear -- she hated my cooking. My best friend once got a case of baby wipes from a boyfriend -- and she doesn't even have kids! He thought they would be handy for wiping up messes.  Anyone else ever get a gift that made them think --what the heck?

by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Replies (41-50):
xomrs.chase
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 8:50 AM
5 moms liked this
When I was with my exbf, his MOM got me lingerie and edible underwear. Wtf?!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jennyanne322
by Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 9:01 AM
I received a cabbage patch doll, when I was 14. I stopped playing with dolls at like 10. It was one that you feed it bottles and had a binky. It was from a friends mom. My friend apparently wanted the doll, so her mom figured I did too.
p4intthestars
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 9:10 AM
2 moms liked this
My MiL loves to give oddball practical gifts... A paper shredder, label maker, pressure washer, a random ottoman that we had no room in our apartment for and matched none of our furniture, etc haha.

The weirdest gift I've ever seen given though was to my stepdad. He loves NASCAR so a few years back, my Aunt gave him a NASCAR Barbie for Christmas. That was an awkward moment of gift opening!
risaspieces
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 9:14 AM
2 moms liked this
Not necessarily weird, but my reaction to it was. My mom bought me the handicapped Barbie doll ( the one with the wheel chair) for some strange reason and when I opened it I started bawling and asking her why she hurt my doll. She wasn't aware that there was a girl in my class who had been in a terrible car accident and was in a wheelchair, my teacher had been talking about it to the entire class so we didn't freak out when she came back to school.
mommy5912
by Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

yeah my MIL one year bought me a curling iron...Doesn't sound weird right? except that I have very natural curly hair...lol

Des10ed2b
by Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 10:07 AM

my MIL bought me frilly red lingerie one year and put it in my easter basket for me to open in front of everyone.

k4m7d93
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 10:31 AM

My boyfriend's mother got me a year subscription for a photography magazine when I don't read magazines or take much pictures that are labeled as photography.

goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 21, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Omg this made me LOL

Quoting OliviasMommy611:

My mil gave me Campbell's soup.

apoynter
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 10:41 AM
4 moms liked this

One year my husband got me....a 5lb can of peanuts...a 4 piece gift set-mugs and instant soup mix, and another gift set that was hot chocolate and mugs, and a Christmas sweatshirt....I mean, I KNOW the man doesn't like to shop, but I think he just grabbed stuff off of the end-caps of the local discount department store!

Incidentally.....fast forward 14 years...he now takes our 14 y.o. daughter with him...and buys whatever she points at....Momma's happy now.  simple smile

SuperWoman8
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 10:45 AM
2 moms liked this

I would have to say a box of thank you notes that was sent after the holidays by my paternal grandmother's relatives. I was young and didn't undertstand why they were sent.

I admit that I wasn't taught to write thank you notes exactly, my mom would have me call people to tell them what I was doing with the gift, or local people would get hugs.

I found out years later, that the sender of the thankyou notes wasn't getting any thank yous from me was because I never saw their gifts. they kept sending things with my name misspelled, so my mom wasn't giving the gifts to us.

my grandma got really mad about the whole thing, primarily because they'd been told many times how to spell my name. From what I hear she called them up telling them that her grandaughter didn't need their cheap junk anyway. and they pretty much didn't see or speak anymore. until the next funeral anyway.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)