Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What Happens?

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:40 PM
  • 26 Replies
I was wondering what happens when I go over my 40 weeks of pregnancy? Since I'm not making any pregress?
I've been checked by my Ob and I'm not doing anything (as in my cervix is not opening) baby girl's head is up against it but nothing more.

I'm 39 weeks, 1 day.. I asked to be induced today so that I could enjoy christmas.. I've had a tough painful pregnancy, don't judge. (the dr said it was okay as long as my cervix was open, but no!)

I just have a feeling I'm going to go over 40 and still nothing with the cervix..what would happen then?
C-section or TRY inducing, cause my doctor said it wouldn't do nothing inducing with a closed cervix.

Can anyone help. Please& thanks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cookinmommyof1
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:45 PM
Most practitioners wont let you go past 42 weeks. They can use prostoglindins (synthetic hormones) to ripen and start dilating the cervix. Also start pitocin and break your water. If nothing happens after 24hrs of broken water, they will deliver via c-section. I was induced at 41 weeks, and ended up having ds via c-section. I would talk to your dr about it more and see what they say.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snuggiewoogie
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:53 PM
I don't know but good luck to you :)
goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Have sex, that's what my doctor told me.

jltplk25
by Gold Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 8:49 PM
If you're not progressing then an induction will be scheduled. I wasn't progressing when I was pregnant with my first so I was scheduled to be induced 4 days after my due date. I went into labor that day or the next...had my son a day after his due date. As for my daughter, well she was born 6 days early. I was actually in labor when I went in for check up but the doctor never checked my cervix.
LivinDeadGurl
by Maranda on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Usually they will schedule an induction.

splatz
by Sarah on Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:56 PM

You are brave to start another post about this lol.  

Drs around here will not even discuss inducing until after 40 weeks. Say they do induce you on Monday... I wouldn't call sitting in the hospital on Christmas as "enjoying it". Whether you have the baby by then or not. I was induced with my youngest due to medical issues after my due date. It was over 36 hours AFTER I walked into the hospital that she was born. If baby isn't ready baby isn't ready. We were all uncomfortable at the end of our pregnancy. Its not supposed to be easy & comfortable. 

celticgodess
by Member on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Depends on your loation and doctor.  With my 1st in IL, I had an induction scheduled at 41 weeks (she came 2 days late) and with my second OB in MO she said she didn't like to go much past 42 because the placenta starts breaking down

DieMyDarling
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 11:32 PM
Yup, what they all said ^^^^. Try long walks and lots of sex...I was 11 days late and when I finally went into labor but was having inconsistent contractions and my water wasn't breaking, my boyfriend kept doing the deed and I progressed. I hated it bc I was in pain and eventually kicked him off, and I'm not positive that's why it continued but I'm sure that and the walking around didn't hurt.
SlapItHigh
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 12:00 AM

There are a variety of options and it depends on what you want and what your practitioner wants/will allow.  I went to 42 weeks 4 days with my first.  I went to 42 with my second.  And I went to 41 weeks 2 days with my third.

kittykathall
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 12:39 AM
I'm not saying I'm uncomfy.
I'm asking what happens after I go past.. I've already got the OK from the doctor to be induced IF my cervix was open, but its not.

I was asking all the ladie's opinions on if they went through not progressing at all either.

Quoting splatz:

You are brave to start another post about this lol.  

Drs around here will not even discuss inducing until after 40 weeks. Say they do induce you on Monday... I wouldn't call sitting in the hospital on Christmas as "enjoying it". Whether you have the baby by then or not. I was induced with my youngest due to medical issues after my due date. It was over 36 hours AFTER I walked into the hospital that she was born. If baby isn't ready baby isn't ready. We were all uncomfortable at the end of our pregnancy. Its not supposed to be easy & comfortable. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN