Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom
I was wondering what happens when I go over my 40 weeks of pregnancy? Since I'm not making any pregress?
I've been checked by my Ob and I'm not doing anything (as in my cervix is not opening) baby girl's head is up against it but nothing more.

I'm 39 weeks, 1 day.. I asked to be induced today so that I could enjoy christmas.. I've had a tough painful pregnancy, don't judge. (the dr said it was okay as long as my cervix was open, but no!)

I just have a feeling I'm going to go over 40 and still nothing with the cervix..what would happen then?
C-section or TRY inducing, cause my doctor said it wouldn't do nothing inducing with a closed cervix.

Can anyone help. Please& thanks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 20, 2012 at 6:40 PM
Replies (11-20):
kittykathall
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 12:42 AM
Oh believe me, I've tried.. It hurts waaaay too much

Quoting goddess99:

Have sex, that's what my doctor told me.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by Bronze Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 1:55 AM
If you induce without being dilated at least to a 3, you're going to end up with an emergency c-section due to the stress put on the baby and then you won't be home for Christmas!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maria_Peanut
by New Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 2:00 AM
I got induced at 1 1/2cm at 38w6d due to pre-eclampsia

36hr smooth labor. Pushed through 3 contractions and she was here. So that's not always true.

Quoting VintageWife:

If you induce without being dilated at least to a 3, you're going to end up with an emergency c-section due to the stress put on the baby and then you won't be home for Christmas!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bethy16
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 3:37 AM
They won't let you go past 42 weeks. My ob won't even talk about it until you are 41 weeks. Not all inductions are as smooth as the post above this. I was 4cm and contracting but not making progress they gave me pitocin and the contractions were right on top of one another, I started running a fever and yes I ended up with a c section. So just be prepared that you may not be home for Christmas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
k4m7d93
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 10:37 AM

You have up until 42 weeks before they go to induce you or give you a c-section. They like seeing you do it naturally rather than getting it done and over with, plus you haven't hit 40 weeks yet. Is this your first pregnancy? I'm kind of in the same boat with you, I'm 38w1d pregnant but I'm 70% effaced and 2cm dilated. Good luck, hopefully you can start making it work on your own naturally. Do some walking, get an exercise ball, take a bath, eat pineapple, have sex? Do whatever people recommend. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Emilytrademark
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 10:56 AM

40 weeks is average, but up to 42 weeks is completely normal. Do not have a c-section because you go past your due date if you don't want a c-section.. not necessary at all! I think it's weird that your doctor is already talking about induction at 39 weeks! There are some natural induction methods that you can start trying now, though.

BabyFruit Ticker
tooptimistic
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Is this your first baby?  :)

They will let you go to 41 weeks usually before inducing unless you or the baby are having issues..  The wait is terrible isn't it?

tooptimistic
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Oh, you could ask them to strip your membrains.. that may or may not help you go into labor on your own.  :)

jesusgirl76
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 2:35 PM
I'm not sure but i wish you the best
MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 9:16 PM
Some things in nature cannot be rushed; harm could be caused to you and your baby by trying to do so. 40 weeks is an average. Due dates are not exact.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN