Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Holiday Traditions?

Posted by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 8:40 AM
  • 15 Replies

What are your family holiday traditions?

We only have one. We get hot chocolate and drive around to look at lights. I would love to add more traditions as we will be be adding to our family next year and I would like my children to remember the times we spent together as a family.

BabyFetus Ticker
 BabyFruit Ticker

by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 8:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 21, 2012 at 9:16 AM

We do advent bags, they are small bags I hang on our tree and each contains something small like candy, coins, bookmark, gift card, so each day my dd gets a little gift. Christmas eve we go to my mom's and eat, open gifts. My family comes home and dd will open a gift from us, maybe 2, then we each write a wish in our Christmas wish book then we hang them on the tree. Then we get Santa's cookies and carrots for the reindeer ready and dd goes to bed. My dh and I put out all the Santa gifts. We also hide the pickle ornament on the tree. Whoever finds this Christmas morning (always dd, Santa hides the ornament) gets the "pickle prize" this year it's the Guinness book of World Records book, dd will Love it.

I love doing all these things, I hope when my dd has kids she does some of these as well.

1smartcookie
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Every year for as long as I can remember, we're done a Progressive Dinner with my extended family. Everyone gathers at the first house for drinks/apps, stays about an hour then moves collectively to the next house for soup, etc. Each course of dinner is held at a different house. Fun but exhausting; takes all day.

goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 21, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Oh that's interesting. Fun =)

Quoting 1smartcookie:

Every year for as long as I can remember, we're done a Progressive Dinner with my extended family. Everyone gathers at the first house for drinks/apps, stays about an hour then moves collectively to the next house for soup, etc. Each course of dinner is held at a different house. Fun but exhausting; takes all day.

LDennany
by on Dec. 21, 2012 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Every year on the 23rd, we make Christmas cookies during the day.  In the evening we got to the park downtown and look at all the decorations and lights they have put out.  On our way home we take the scenic route to look at Christmas lights.  On the 24th I prep food for Christmas dinner at my parents house and we have Christmas movie marathons. In the evening the little ones sprinkle "Reindeer Food" (oats and glitter) over the front yard. Apparently it helps Santa find them easier.  The girls track Santa until bedtime.

splatz
by Sarah on Dec. 21, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Such fun traditions!

We are still working on traditions. My SO & I are trying to combine some of our childhood traditions and make some new ones on the way. Growing up I always opened one gift on Christmas Eve. When my son was born I did that tradition but always made that gift new Christmas pjs. My SO grew up in a Catholic home. So he celebrated St Nicks Day & numerous other holidays this time of year. We started St Nicks for the kids last year. They really enjoy it. :)

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Dec. 21, 2012 at 3:25 PM

That sounds like alot of fun.

Quoting 1smartcookie:

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Dec. 21, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Last yr was the first yr we did the pickle ornament. It was fun. I think I got the idea from you actually...lol

Quoting goddess99:

We do advent bags, they are small bags I hang on our tree and each contains something small like candy, coins, bookmark, gift card, so each day my dd gets a little gift. Christmas eve we go to my mom's and eat, open gifts. My family comes home and dd will open a gift from us, maybe 2, then we each write a wish in our Christmas wish book then we hang them on the tree. Then we get Santa's cookies and carrots for the reindeer ready and dd goes to bed. My dh and I put out all the Santa gifts. We also hide the pickle ornament on the tree. Whoever finds this Christmas morning (always dd, Santa hides the ornament) gets the "pickle prize" this year it's the Guinness book of World Records book, dd will Love it.

I love doing all these things, I hope when my dd has kids she does some of these as well.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Dec. 21, 2012 at 3:27 PM

We always play board games on Christmas Eve.

goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 21, 2012 at 4:32 PM

I do remember talking about it last year and people commenting and asking me about it. I'm glad you like it. =)

Quoting MistressMinerva:

Last yr was the first yr we did the pickle ornament. It was fun. I think I got the idea from you actually...lol

Quoting goddess99:

ZoeCY
by Member on Dec. 21, 2012 at 4:36 PM

On Christmas Eve our daughter opens 3 gifts from us- PJs, a book, and an ornament.  

We get together with my dad's extended family then my daughter gets her PJs on, and we drive around looking at lights.  When we get home we read the book that she got a put the ornament on the tree.  We also put out cookies and treats for Santa and the reindeer and then she goes to bed.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN