Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Refusing to nap/ night terrors

Posted by   + Show Post
I'm pretty sure my two year olds lack of naps are what are causing the sleep issues at night. She is so over tired that she is just generally a mess. She wakes up numerous times a night screaming. When I try to comfort her she does not even realize that I am there half of the time. She will keep asking for me even if I am holding her. I try to just comfort her and get her back to sleep. This happens between 3 and 7 times a night now. So neither of us are sleeping much.

She still NEEDS a nap, badly. I've even tried to just get her to have quiet time if she won't nap. But she is just so busy that she doesn't calm down and relax at all in that time. I'm not sure what to do go get her to nap at this point. It doesn't matter how early she wakes up or how busy we are during the day. She still won't nap.

Has anyone dealt with this? Any advice on napping and/or sleep terrors?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 11:59 AM
Replies (21-24):
splatz
by Sarah on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:11 PM

I know!! Oh my gosh... if my SIL had never mentioned it I don't think I would have ever put the two together. Hopefully I can keep getting her to nap during the day & that will make nights easier. I'm a little worried last night was a fluke though! lol

Quoting MichelleMc:

Yay on sleep last night :)

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:11 PM

I would be firm, but gentle. Most of the 'bad behavior' (if she's having any) is probably due to a lack of rem sleep. 

sounds like the night terrors are because of lack of sleep as well, or at least partially, or she wouldn't have slept so well last night after getting a decent nap.

Good luck to both of you. Sending healing and restful energies to both. 

Quoting splatz:

I already had to take all of her toys out. I think her books are next to go. Though usually with a book she will just lay in bed & read. 

I have never been able to wake her up fully when this happens. She just eventually falls back asleep or will wake up on her own.

As far as taking naps... even if she has 3, 4, 5 nights of night terrors in a row she still doesn't nap. Shes such a tired mess by the end of the day. It took over two hours yesterday of me putting her back in bed over & over. But she did finally nap. And no sleep issues last night. She actually slept almost 12 hours straight. I know she has to be totally exhausted. I know I am! lol

Quoting Basherte: 

as far as the night time thing goes. I know that what I have to say won't be liked. 

I would wake your daughter up. It sounds like she is screaming and asking for you in her sleep. Even if her eyes are open doesn't mean that she is awake. IF she doesn't see you or realize that you are holding her most likely she is still sleeping. Wake her up and then help her to go back to sleep. 

If it is night terrors, and it sounds exactly like what my son was doing when his doctor told me it was night terrors there really isn't much you can do. Just wake her up and help her go back to sleep, it should correct itself soon.

It will take time, but as far as I know there is nothing else you can do to help her sleep. 

A few nights of this might actually help her to take that nap during the day. Also with the nap, I would put her in her room and make sure there aren't any toys in there with her. She could be using those toys or stuffed animals or whatever to stay awake even though she needs sleep. 

mamabear17
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 8:03 AM

I can sympathize! My lo is 2 and does the same thing at least a few times a month. It use to be worse. I also noticed if he does not have a nap during the day that he has night terrors, NOT nightmares, it is totally different as you know. There has been many times I have had my husband come in and pick him up because he was so out of it, and seemed terrified of me also :(. It breaks my heart. Here is what I do, If I hear him start to get restless in the monitor, or he starts to whine, I quietly go in his room and whisper happy things in his ear. Such as playing with his toys, or watching Blues Clues, or something I know he likes. Many times that has helped stop it before he starts screaming. Also try to play soothing classical music while she sleeps. My opinion as to why this happens is because they get so overtired their mind goes on overload. Its like us getting so tired and having that feeling of falling right when you get into the deep sleep. I know its terrible so stay strong!! *Hugs*

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Hope this gets better...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)