Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Refusing to nap/ night terrors

Posted by   + Show Post
I'm pretty sure my two year olds lack of naps are what are causing the sleep issues at night. She is so over tired that she is just generally a mess. She wakes up numerous times a night screaming. When I try to comfort her she does not even realize that I am there half of the time. She will keep asking for me even if I am holding her. I try to just comfort her and get her back to sleep. This happens between 3 and 7 times a night now. So neither of us are sleeping much.

She still NEEDS a nap, badly. I've even tried to just get her to have quiet time if she won't nap. But she is just so busy that she doesn't calm down and relax at all in that time. I'm not sure what to do go get her to nap at this point. It doesn't matter how early she wakes up or how busy we are during the day. She still won't nap.

Has anyone dealt with this? Any advice on napping and/or sleep terrors?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 11:59 AM
Replies (11-20):
ZakkarysMom
by Gold Member on Dec. 27, 2012 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Good luck. I hope you get some answers.

Quoting splatz:

Thanks!

And I agree it is. Its not every night. But more nights than not she has them. Some nights are really bad some are not as bad.

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

I would suggest going to a child psychologist. My son goes to one(for different reasons). He has had night terrors though and the dr helped with that. That is too many in one night. Thats not normal.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Dec. 27, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Yep, when my SIL & I were discussing that the other day it totally made sense. I hadn't even thought of it like that until then. Shes been in her room for an hour now & is still wide awake. I've gone in repeatedly and laid her back down. I'm just going to keep trying to get her back in bed & hopefully tonight will be easier if I can actually get her to nap.

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

You mentioned that when she DOES nap, she doesn't have them.  Night terrors are actually sometimes caused by sleep deprivation. 

MichelleMc
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Quoting splatz:

She doesn't have them when she naps. But I have noticed when she does nap she doesn't have them at night.

My SIL said that she had the same problem with her son. On days they were busy and he would miss his nap he would have night terrors that night. She explained it really well and I can't remember all of it exactly. (Thank you sleep deprivation lol) But she said her pedi explained it that their body is so over tired that they go from the 2nd to 3rd state of sleep too fast.

She loved her crib. But she was a climber so we made the switch a few months agk. She really enjoys her toddler bed since we decorated it with her favorite character.

Got ya. I hope you can figure it out. I haven't seen that, but looks like others have. Hope you can figure it out. Alot of our family gave up naps by 3 LOL.

splatz
by Sarah on Dec. 27, 2012 at 7:56 PM
My oldest stopped napping around 2 1/2 but would still lay down and have "quiet time" daily. Sometimes he would sleep sometimes he wouldn't. But he was always in a better mood after.
I knew skipping naps would come soon. Just didn't think it would be so hard this time around! lol After 2 hours of fighting sleep today she napped. So hopefully no night terrors tonight.

Quoting MichelleMc:

Quoting splatz:

She doesn't have them when she naps. But I have noticed when she does nap she doesn't have them at night.

My SIL said that she had the same problem with her son. On days they were busy and he would miss his nap he would have night terrors that night. She explained it really well and I can't remember all of it exactly. (Thank you sleep deprivation lol) But she said her pedi explained it that their body is so over tired that they go from the 2nd to 3rd state of sleep too fast.

She loved her crib. But she was a climber so we made the switch a few months agk. She really enjoys her toddler bed since we decorated it with her favorite character.

Got ya. I hope you can figure it out. I haven't seen that, but looks like others have. Hope you can figure it out. Alot of our family gave up naps by 3 LOL.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by on Dec. 27, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Not me, here's a bump.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:12 AM

as far as the night time thing goes. I know that what I have to say won't be liked. 

I would wake your daughter up. It sounds like she is screaming and asking for you in her sleep. Even if her eyes are open doesn't mean that she is awake. IF she doesn't see you or realize that you are holding her most likely she is still sleeping. Wake her up and then help her to go back to sleep. 

If it is night terrors, and it sounds exactly like what my son was doing when his doctor told me it was night terrors there really isn't much you can do. Just wake her up and help her go back to sleep, it should correct itself soon.

It will take time, but as far as I know there is nothing else you can do to help her sleep. 

A few nights of this might actually help her to take that nap during the day. Also with the nap, I would put her in her room and make sure there aren't any toys in there with her. She could be using those toys or stuffed animals or whatever to stay awake even though she needs sleep. 

Pammi86
by Pamela on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:37 AM

So sorry she is going through this! Hang in there mama! I have no words of wisdom bc Olivia refuses to nap or even sleep in her own room!

splatz
by Sarah on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I already had to take all of her toys out. I think her books are next to go. Though usually with a book she will just lay in bed & read. 

I have never been able to wake her up fully when this happens. She just eventually falls back asleep or will wake up on her own.

As far as taking naps... even if she has 3, 4, 5 nights of night terrors in a row she still doesn't nap. Shes such a tired mess by the end of the day. It took over two hours yesterday of me putting her back in bed over & over. But she did finally nap. And no sleep issues last night. She actually slept almost 12 hours straight. I know she has to be totally exhausted. I know I am! lol

Quoting Basherte: 

as far as the night time thing goes. I know that what I have to say won't be liked. 

I would wake your daughter up. It sounds like she is screaming and asking for you in her sleep. Even if her eyes are open doesn't mean that she is awake. IF she doesn't see you or realize that you are holding her most likely she is still sleeping. Wake her up and then help her to go back to sleep. 

If it is night terrors, and it sounds exactly like what my son was doing when his doctor told me it was night terrors there really isn't much you can do. Just wake her up and help her go back to sleep, it should correct itself soon.

It will take time, but as far as I know there is nothing else you can do to help her sleep. 

A few nights of this might actually help her to take that nap during the day. Also with the nap, I would put her in her room and make sure there aren't any toys in there with her. She could be using those toys or stuffed animals or whatever to stay awake even though she needs sleep. 

MichelleMc
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Yay on sleep last night :)

splatz
by Sarah on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Oh no! Sleep issues are so hard. Hopefully things get better for you before baby arrives. Last night was actually better. I just wish getting her to nap was a little bit easier. I felt horrible that she was in her room from 12-4 when I went and woke her up. It took forever to get her to sleep. But no night terrors last night. Yay!

Quoting Pammi86:

So sorry she is going through this! Hang in there mama! I have no words of wisdom bc Olivia refuses to nap or even sleep in her own room!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN