Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Help!!!! She won't go to sleep alone

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 12:24 AM
  • 22 Replies
I have an issue hopefully u guys can help me.... I have a 5 yeard old daughter, soon to be 6 in feb. My problem is that she will not go to sleep by herself. I dont mean in her own bed i mean on her own. I have to lay in her bed with her anywhere from 10-30 mins and wait for her to fall asleep. This is really time comsuminh because i could be doing other things like cleaning up or getting her school lunch ready for the next day. I hope this post doesn't sound selfish, i love her but i hate having to drop everything im doing just because she has to go to bed and once shes in bed im relaxed and now i dont want to do anything... So how do i get her to go to bed alone without anyone having to lay with her... She has a night light, her favorite bear and she gets a last snack at night i dont know what else to do. Please help
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 12:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vasudha602
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:36 AM
1 mom liked this

You could try to bath her around 30 mins before bed, it might take lesser time for her to fall asleep. You could decorate her room and sleep area so that she is busy discovering things on bed and fall asleep in the meantime.

angirose
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:52 AM

Yes there are a lot of comforting lotions and such out there too. But honestly being a mother is time consuming and we often must put our wants and needs aside for our children. And 10-30 mins isnt really a long long time for her to fall asleep.

One thing that could work too maybe is a time limit with laying with her. I put my ds7 on a time limit. At xh home he sleeps in dads room, here at my home he sleeps in his own room in his own bed. My ds would want me to cuddle him to sleep, so I would. Until the nights got longer and longer cuddling. So I put him on a time limit. It works with him now. Took sometime but hes ok with it now. My limit is 15 minuites. Then I can go to bed too.

good luck

MichelleMc
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:31 AM
1 mom liked this

It is hard once they get a routine where they want mom. Have you always stayed with her to sleep, so now this is the only way? I would try to wean her off that too personally. like, okay, Start laying with her, then, you will sit on the floor, maybe doing some of the things you need to do, then in the doorway, then you are outside the door, then you are just down the hallway, etc. You can't lay with her forever, so it is time to start weaning her off of it anyway. 5 years old is way old enough to not need mom to lay with her. Good Luck. 

CLEKate
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:07 AM

What happens if you don't lay down with her?

sep18mom
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:10 AM
Just let her lay in her bed and just go check on her
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pammi86
by Pamela on Dec. 28, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Sorry mama! My dd is 19 months and wont even sleep in her own bed! I am at a loss these days!

splatz
by Sarah on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:09 PM

What happens if you don't lay down with her?

MichelleMc
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Oh good question, PP, what happens if you don't lay with her?

MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2012 at 2:11 PM
Some soft music that will turn itself off will help. Has she always done this, or has it just started? Anything going on at school before the holidays?
goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 28, 2012 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like a bad habit, she's having a hard time breaking. I would just tell her she's old enough to fall asleep alone and stop laying with her. After a few nights hopefully she'll just fall asleep with no problem.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN