Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Help!!!! She won't go to sleep alone

Posted by   + Show Post
I have an issue hopefully u guys can help me.... I have a 5 yeard old daughter, soon to be 6 in feb. My problem is that she will not go to sleep by herself. I dont mean in her own bed i mean on her own. I have to lay in her bed with her anywhere from 10-30 mins and wait for her to fall asleep. This is really time comsuminh because i could be doing other things like cleaning up or getting her school lunch ready for the next day. I hope this post doesn't sound selfish, i love her but i hate having to drop everything im doing just because she has to go to bed and once shes in bed im relaxed and now i dont want to do anything... So how do i get her to go to bed alone without anyone having to lay with her... She has a night light, her favorite bear and she gets a last snack at night i dont know what else to do. Please help
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 12:24 AM
Replies (11-20):
Sweetmamaluv
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:28 PM

yes my dd starting doing that when hubby's mother kept asking her was she scard to sleep alone. and now she so scard to sleep alone. that now i must lay in her bed until she is asleep before i leave. then she wakes up in the middle of the night and gets n my bed. which cause mommy and daddy problems.

Mama2Desaroo
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 6:50 PM

My 5 yr old did that too but then my parents told me a routine they do with her everytime she is with them...When it's time for bed they all go to bed together but in their own rooms n beds...They all walk through the house turn off the lights get their pj's on and then everybody says their good-nights n kisses n hugs n lights off..I do that too here at home with my 5 yr old and she goes to bed in her own bed on her own after that..it's just matter of consistency..hope this helps

aluckyldy
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 7:59 PM

my daughter does the exact same thing - she want go to sleep for anyone but me.  when she was little I thought it was ok but now I want her to go to sleep by herself. I have tried several things but nothing is working yet, I even tried letting her cry but it didn't work

OliviasMommy611
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 8:27 PM
Let her lay there. No other choice.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
D_fluff
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Ok the answer to everyones question what happens if i dont lay with her.... she simply wont sleep or she'll make her way to her grandparents room and lay with them.  I think 5 years is old enough for her to be sleeping on her own. She'll also stall her bed time if no one lays there and will constantly get up and go to the bathroom, she's gone as far as crying and she'll question why her grandparents can sleep together and no one sleeps with her. Im going to try talking and explaining it to her, thanks ladies :)

MomtoLou
by on Dec. 28, 2012 at 10:51 PM

I've  done this with both my kids. It works, it takes a long time and mine fought it for the first while, but I didnt cave and lay in bed with them again. Now when they go to bed I'm just upstairs with them. Good luck. No matter what you do to change it, dd isn't going to like it because its not what she is used to. 

Quoting MichelleMc:

It is hard once they get a routine where they want mom. Have you always stayed with her to sleep, so now this is the only way? I would try to wean her off that too personally. like, okay, Start laying with her, then, you will sit on the floor, maybe doing some of the things you need to do, then in the doorway, then you are outside the door, then you are just down the hallway, etc. You can't lay with her forever, so it is time to start weaning her off of it anyway. 5 years old is way old enough to not need mom to lay with her. Good Luck. 

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:34 AM

Have you always been sleeping with her or laying down with her until she goes to sleep? Or is this something new?

mamabear17
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 7:43 AM

I have a feeling I will be in your same shoes my lo is 2 and I lay with him everynight. I havent had the courage to stop it yet, but for you here is what I suggest. Do your normal routine and tell her that you have to grab something and you will be right back, but tell her she has to lay down and wait for you. After two minutes come back and tell her she did a good job, rub her back and leave the room again, for something else. This time stay gone for five minutes, but still come back. After a couple nights you should be able to leave for ten minutes at a time and hopefully she will have fallen asleep. It is important to keep coming back, that way she trusts you. The first night she goes to sleep by herself give her MAJOR praise in the morning! Good luck mama. 

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Dec. 29, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Hope this gets better...my 6yo still sleeps with me sometimes..

bertie4
by on Dec. 29, 2012 at 10:38 PM

What about one of those recordable story books?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)