Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break Time! Hot Topic: Can Justice Be Served In a Small Town?

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break! 

The disturbing case of teenage boys in Steubenville, Ohio who have been accused
of raping a 16 year old girl last August is being played out on the national stage.
Accusations of a cover up are rampant because the boys are high school
football players. Football players, in a part of Ohio where football is King.

You can click here for more details. 

1. Have you been following the news coverage of the Steubenville case?

2. Do you think the accusations of a cover up are valid?

3. Do you think justice can be served in Steubenville or should there be a change of venue?

While you share your thoughts with us be sure to let us know what you
would like us to serve you!!

Be sure to check out these posts while you wait:

We hope you have fun and enjoy your time with us!!

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:34 AM
Replies (41-50):
ladyluke2007
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 4:43 PM

OK, here is a news lead from Columbus Channel 10 news.

www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/01/08/steubenville - schools-lockdown-possible-threat.html

Seems like a mother was told by her child that there was threats saying that the hacktavist group was going to kill someone.  Really?   Please!  Get a life.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:43 PM
I just found out about it. I am looking in to it now.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaK88
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:53 PM
2 moms liked this

Just put whiskey in my coffee cup...

1. Have you been following the news coverage of the Steubenville case?

yes, and it's disgusting the Rape Culture/Jock Culture we have in this country. 

2. Do you think the accusations of a cover up are valid?

100%  The boys were football players.  And we all know trophies are more important than silly little things like education and respect for women and girls.  The worst part of this whole story is the poor girl being berated for "ruining those nice boys' good names". 

3. Do you think justice can be served in Steubenville or should there be a change of venue?

Justice will never, can never be served in a community that puts football (or any other sport) above human dignity.  Why the fuck do we have to teach our daughters "Don't get raped!" as opposed to teaching your sons "Hey, just because you're good at sports doesn't mean you can do what you want, when you want, TO WHOM you want."  Athletes don't shit gold. 

MandaRose83
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:08 PM

We live not too far from Steubenville. It doesn't surprise me. The town actually already had a certain reputation (it wasn't the best lets put it). The only thing it did have going for it was the football team but now thats been tarnished the town has nothing. 

MammaKoi
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM

I'd say it needs to be moved out of the town atleast but stay in the county itself and remain quiet so no death threats are made and people to feel safe coming forward to a issue like this. 

kmrtigger
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Come on seriously? This has come to Cafe Mom? I live in this town and hear about this DAILY. Heck, my kids school was in lock down due to threats made over this crap.

Yes, I know things were being covered up. But I also know that this is in court. And due to that reason, some issue and topics about that case can not be talked about due to a mistrial being caused. I do think those involved will have their day in court and justice will be served.

kmrtigger
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Quoting MandaRose83:

We live not too far from Steubenville. It doesn't surprise me. The town actually already had a certain reputation (it wasn't the best lets put it). The only thing it did have going for it was the football team but now thats been tarnished the town has nothing. 

Not true. We still have the Number one school and number two school in the state of Ohio when it comes to Education.

but I do understand what you are saying and to a certain part I do agree. But not completely.

jamielynn0709
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:11 PM

I live jsut under 2 hours north of the town. The school went on lockdown today after a threat was reported being seen on facebool, first coming from twitter. Here are some links to some of the local coverage of everything

http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/277320/45/Steubenville-Schools-were-on-lockdown-after-possible-threat

http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/277364/45/Steubenville-Town-divided-over-rape-allegations

http://www.wkyc.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=276548

GhettoKoolAide
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:13 PM
May I please have a green tea frap?!

I haven been following this at all, I have been wrapped up in the brutal gang rape over in the Middle East. After following that story nothing and I mean nothing shocks me anymore.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
vinalex0581
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:31 PM

i didn't know anything about this case until i read your post.

i have no comment on it.

accusations are serious, especially in a small town like that one where football is "the king" as the article put it.

all i can say is that there was a movie with the same plot and it turned out that the football player was guilty. 

i really hope that the 16 year old isn't just making this up to get her 15 minutes of fame. i think that this really happened to her because she really has nothing to gain out of this......except MAYBE justice.........if she's lucky.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)