Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Anyone know how to get blue nail polish out of light colored carpet?

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:51 PM
  • 11 Replies

My wonderful DH was letting me sleep in so he got up with the kids then stayed in the living room while they played in their bedroom (they are 2 and 3). Well, they managed to get ahold of one of our nail polishes (we keep them in the bathroom) and they painted themselves and spilled most of the bottle on the carpet (one spot, fairly large)...so now I'm wondering how do I get it out without ruining the carpet?

Any suggestions?

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Good luck! I've been trying to think but I just don't know. I would be afraid to even try nailpolish remover because I think it might spread it around but Idk.

GremlinMom
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:41 PM
There's a blog around that shows a couple cutting the dried polish out.not chunks out of the carpet, just shave style. Separating the painted fibers from the rest.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:50 PM
First try clear rubbing alcohol. Then try hydrogen peroxide. Do not mix them. With anything. Then clear ammonia. If all this fails or just causes it to smear, then use cotton balls, lightly dab it with ascetone. (clear finger nail polish) There is to be no color in any of these chemicals. They are to be clear. If nothing works, messege me and I'll give you more instructions and my husbands number. He is a chemical wizard and has been doing this for years. :)
Charliebaby79
by New Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Use non-acetone polish remover. Apply lemon juice or vinegar first to loosen it of it's dried up. I have two 16yo DD and they had polish parties with their friends all the time and polish always got spilled. Seeing this time after time, I was able to figure out how to clean up polish spills. This will work without doing anything to ruin the carpet.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I would have it shampooed.

OliviasMommy611
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Nail
Polish remover is the only thing that will work.
OliviasMommy611
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 6:58 PM
When it happened to me I pored 2 bottled on my carpet and it came out. Red in white carpet
MamaMoopsie
by Member on Jan. 2, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Quoting OliviasMommy611:

When it happened to me I pored 2 bottled on my carpet and it came out. Red in white carpet

Did you blot it out or scrub it up?

OliviasMommy611
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Both .. Lol I was stressed. I eventually ended up scrubbing.

Quoting MamaMoopsie:

Quoting OliviasMommy611:

Did you blot it out or scrub it up?

splatz
by Sarah on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Hope you can get it out! I will have to remember these tips. With a lunatic toddler in the house I know I will probably need them in the future! lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)