Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Being induced Saturday

Posted by   + Show Post
I'm being induced on saturday, ill be 40 weeks, 8 days then. (Hoping my cervix is open by then)

Anyone wanna give me some advice/tips or anything for being induced?

*first child here.*

:)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Replies (11-19):
Pammi86
by Pamela on Jan. 2, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Its a long process but worth it! Good luck! : )

splatz
by Sarah on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:10 AM

If your body isn't ready yet... be prepared to wait. I think most people think its a super fast process.

Good luck! :)

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Hope everything goes ok for you...I had 2 inductions with my 1st and then with my 4th.

cookinmommyof1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:29 PM
The contractions intensify and get closer together quicker than with natural labor but aren't stronger. I was induced with ds. The dr used a prostoglandin pill under my cervix to ripen it (when admitted I was only 1cm and 50% efaced, I was 40 weeks 6 days), then 2 hrs later broke my water, then 2 hrs later started pitocin. Ds was born via c section 14hrs later. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaMoopsie
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:53 PM

I've been induced three times. How are they going to start you? With pitocin? That's how they started me two out of the three times, and at first it's not so bad. For me it only got bad when they broke my water which brought on sudden, hard labor. However here are some tips I wish people had told me before hand:

1. Eat something before you go in! Make it count, because once you're in, they won't let you have anything but ice chips!

2. Take something for your SO or coach to eat too, because they'll need it after being there all day without anything.

3. A portable DVD player or laptop helps get your mind off things. Sure you can watch the shows they get on the hospital TV but generally reception is poor or there isn't anything you actually want to watch. I watched four movies while waiting for my second daughter to hurry up and make her appearance.

4. Get up and move around as much as they'll let you. I swear walking will help you dilate once your contraction are really going.

5. Don't forget your cell phone charger, batteries/charger for your camera.

6. Music was a must have for me as it helped me focus and not be too whiney. So have a good mixed up selection of music you like available.

7. Socks. Take plenty of socks, because once your water breaks you'll want to change your socks every time you have to get up to go to the bathroom or to walk around.

8. Keep the number of people who come in to "see how you're doing" while in labor to a minimum. It drove me nuts that people kept stop by while I was in labor.

9. Don't get too angry at the nurses if they ask you to sign the paperwork for a c-section, it's just a precaution. They aren't saying you WILL have one, it's in case you need to have an emergency c-section they don't have to make you and baby wait while they get the paperwork and have you sign it before they can take you down.

10. Don't feel guilty if you decide to use pain meds. I didn't want to but ended up getting the epidural with my first and I felt so bad like I'd failed as a woman. Truth is, it helped me so much not just with the pain but I was able to relax enough to go from 5cm dilated to 10 in 15 minutes. That's not the case for everyone, but it definitely helped me.

kittykathall
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:48 PM
I haven't been told how they are going to induce me yet..

Everytime I've been at the dr my cervix hasn't been open so I'm hoping they don't send me home if its not open again

Quoting MamaMoopsie:

I've been induced three times. How are they going to start you? With pitocin? That's how they started me two out of the three times, and at first it's not so bad. For me it only got bad when they broke my water which brought on sudden, hard labor. However here are some tips I wish people had told me before hand:

1. Eat something before you go in! Make it count, because once you're in, they won't let you have anything but ice chips!

2. Take something for your SO or coach to eat too, because they'll need it after being there all day without anything.

3. A portable DVD player or laptop helps get your mind off things. Sure you can watch the shows they get on the hospital TV but generally reception is poor or there isn't anything you actually want to watch. I watched four movies while waiting for my second daughter to hurry up and make her appearance.

4. Get up and move around as much as they'll let you. I swear walking will help you dilate once your contraction are really going.

6. Music was a must have for me as it helped me focus and not be too whiney. So have a good mixed up selection of music you like available.

7. Socks. Take plenty of socks, because once your water breaks you'll want to change your socks every time you have to get up to go to the bathroom or to walk around.

8. Keep the number of people who come in to "see how you're doing" while in labor to a minimum. It drove me nuts that people kept stop by while I was in labor.

9. Don't get too angry at the nurses if they ask you to sign the paperwork for a c-section, it's just a precaution. They aren't saying you WILL have one, it's in case you need to have an emergency c-section they don't have to make you and baby wait while they get the paperwork and have you sign it before they can take you down.

10. Don't feel guilty if you decide to use pain meds. I didn't want to but ended up getting the epidural with my first and I felt so bad like I'd failed as a woman. Truth is, it helped me so much not just with the pain but I was able to relax enough to go from 5cm dilated to 10 in 15 minutes. That's not the case for everyone, but it definitely helped me.

MamaMoopsie
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:08 PM

They might try inserting something to help the cervix soften up. That just requires you lay there in the hospital bed for 12 hours after they insert it. That's what they did with me when they induced me with my second. It was called cervadil, I think. It's not much fun, kind of makes you feel raw down there.

Quoting kittykathall:

Everytime I've been at the dr my cervix hasn't been open so I'm hoping they don't send me home if its not open again

Quoting MamaMoopsie:

kittykathall
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 10:49 PM
I'm really hoping they keep me there, I'm tired of being in and out of the hospital (had a rough pregnancy) :(

Quoting MamaMoopsie:

They might try inserting something to help the cervix soften up. That just requires you lay there in the hospital bed for 12 hours after they insert it. That's what they did with me when they induced me with my second. It was called cervadil, I think. It's not much fun, kind of makes you feel raw down there.

Quoting kittykathall:

Quoting MamaMoopsie:

Janet
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Hope all goes good for you. Yes keep us updated.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)