Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Do You Tip?

Cafe MichelleP
Football, football and more football. It's the most wonderful time of the year.
Sunday at 9:09 PM
Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:11 AM
  • 26 Replies

The One Argument Against Tipping That Actually Makes Sense (VIDEO)

Posted by Adriana Velez

waitressWhen it comes to tipping, there's the decent people who do it, and the jerks who don't. Right? I mean, we all have our own reasons for tipping at restaurants, but they all pretty much amount to the same thing: It's the "right" thing to do. But what if it's not? What if it turns out that tipping is (gulp!) unfair?!?

A former restaurant owner says we need to totally rethink tipping. Bruce McAdams has done just about every job you can do at a restaurant: He's cooked, waited tables, bussed, managed, and owned them. And after years of experience, he's concluded that tipping is just plain unfair. And you know what? His argument makes sense.

If you have time, McAdams' whole TEDx Talk is thought-provoking. But one of the main points he makes is that tipping is unfair to the cooks and everyone else working at a restaurant besides the servers. When you factor in tips, servers make WAY more than cooks do. And a lot of those cooks spend years and tens of thousands of dollars at cooking school. They work just as hard. But they make peanuts compared to the waiters.

More from The Stir: Waitresses Who Wear Red Score Bigger Tips From Men

So what -- should we be tipping the cooks, too? McAdams doesn't really offer solutions for solving this. But he does mention that some restaurants actually collect the tips and divide them evenly among the entire restaurant staff. So there's an idea! Would you tip differently if you knew your tips would be shared with the dishwasher?

Eh, probably not. Here's the other thing McAdams says -- study after study proves that except in extreme cases, we don't tip based on performance, anyway. Most of us tip based on whatever we usually tip.

So what's the point?!? What if we said "no more tipping!" and just raised everyone's restaurant bill by 15 to 20 percent? Then the owner could decide where all the money goes, hopefully fairly -- ugh, if only restaurant profit margins weren't so teeny. But that's probably never going to happen. Still, I will ponder this the next time I eat out ... just before I sign my name under that same tip I give every damn time no matter what the service was like.

Do you tip? If you do, do you tip based on service or percentage of bill?
Do you think tipping is unfair to the rest of the restaurant staff?

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SandysGirl1982
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:32 AM

We do If the Service is great ......I dont think ts unfair

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:34 AM

sometimes

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Yea we do sometimes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CJsMommy92
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM

My husband and I only tip if the waitress/waitor were nice and attentive.  You don't make minimum wage as a waitor/waitress so you need the tips. I'd like to know where he worked to make more than the cook because most of my friends who are waitors and waitresses don't make a whole lot of money because a majority of people don't tip

goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I always tip. I base it on service and bill. If I'm at a restaurant that has a bar, I always tip the waiter/waitress and I go to the bar and place a tip on the rail.

splatz
by Sarah on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Actually some restraunts require the waitresses to "pay out" to other staff. Like busser, dish washer, food expediter, etc. 

At the restaurant I used to work at the cooks made at least $12-16 an hour. The waitresses made $2 something. Maybe at some restraunts they require cooks to go to "cooking school" but the restraunt I worked at surely didn't.

So if everyone didn't tip & waitresses just got their crap pay who the hell would want to be a waitress? Long story short.... I don't see anything unfair about tipping a waitress. I usually tip at least 20% of the bill.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I tip on both service and percentage.

I never really thought about the rest of the staff. The waitress is the one that has to deal with the people though and they aren't always so nice.

ZakkarysMom
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:26 PM
I tip on percentage of the bill and service. I dont really eat out anymore though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saltlifemama
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 3:48 PM

We tip based on service and service alone. We do however calculate that tip of off a percentage.

I do not really feel like its unfair to tip the servers. Most cooks I know make way more then them.

kbarendt
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I actually am a server at a restaurant and I know for a fact our grill cooks get paid a pretty penny... Sometimes I have to tip out half of what I make to the bartender busser and food runner... If your good server you should be tipped we put up with alot of mean nasty people! Not to say they are all mean but I have had some very difficult and mean tables... I could go on and I on but I wont moral of the story is servers do not have ot as easy as some may think
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)