Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What was the toughest thing about breastfeeding for you?

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:01 PM
  • 25 Replies

Breastfeeding was so hard for me. I ended up mostly pumping and feeding the breast milk through a bottle. Wondering what struggles other moms had. What questions did you have? What was hardest? What do you know now about breastfeeding that you wish you had known then?

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kim042269
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:34 PM
3 moms liked this

A few things come to mind. First, the initial pain, which was pretty hard to work through. That pain went all the way back into my back, and hurt so mind I had to make myself not cry - and this as a seasoned nurser. Second, the comments. Yes, I am still nursing my 23 month old, and no, it's not your business. Finally, sometime I don't want to nurse, and she does,  like during the night when I'm trying to sleep. But those complaints are minor - it's mostly a good experience.

cookinmommyof1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:43 PM
My ds's first latch was terrible. We ended up having to use a nipple shield to get him to latch and had to use it for like 6 months. Then one day he just quit using it. My nipples were pretty sore a lot of times, but lanisol helped tons. Hoping the baby in july will be easier at first.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Getting! him latched the first time after that I was good to go. My ds loved eating :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chels2008
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:16 PM

For me everything about it hurt.  I was told by a doctor that the pain that I was having was due to the fact that the top of my son's mouth was shaped in a way that was causing me to bleed.  Despit the bleeding I was pushed to continue.  It was a very fustrating thing for me and I cried the whole time he was nursing.  Finially we moved to pumping and that made things a lot better for me but my production slowed and I finally dried up.  I just wish that more people would of been more supportive of my choice to want to stop. 

mamawolf1103
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:20 PM

The commitment you have to put in for the first month or so. My son didn't want to latch correctly, we had to put sugar water on my nipples to get him to suck at first. It was so hard to deal with that. It is also hard when you are sleep deprived and hormonal to not just let someone else give him a bottle. I have an older daughter and ended up not breastfeeding for long, mostly because I had no idea what I was doing. Glad I stuck with it and actually loved it after the first month was over with and we were in a good rhythm.

koroleva219
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:59 AM

it was hard for me too. I had bloody niples for 4 weeks and it was very dificult to feed my first boy. But i did it for 1 year and 8 month and i stopped only because i was 5 month pregnant with other baby boy.

KsenijaR
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:45 AM

My biggest problem was that my daughter was eating each 2,5-3,5 hours, so I was literally attached to her all the time. I couldn' even go for shopping alone without a rush: 30 minutes drive to the moll + 30 minutes back is already an hour, so it's only 1 hour left to enjoy the process. That was tough, but I'm very happy I breastfeeded her anyway!

MWV85
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:47 AM
First time: infection and horrific pain
Second time: just the horrific pain
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:00 AM
The first time it was getting used to the letdown, latching, etc. Landon would spit up if he ate more than 20 minutes but everyone kept telling me it was normal. With the second one, it was latching and building up the callous. Ouch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pammi86
by Pamela on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I had a very hard recovery after my c section and just could not stick with it. Hoping this time its better!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN