Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

How old was your child when they learned to hold a pencil/pen correctly?

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:29 PM
  • 12 Replies

My 2 and 3 year old are learning to write their letters and numbers and my 2 year old holds her pencil perfectly without me ever teaching her how. My 3 year old still holds hers in a fist, even though I've tried showing her how. I was just wondering at what age your child should be able to have that fine motor skill down? I'm not worried that my 3 year old is delayed or anything, just curious.

Oh, and does anyone have any tricks to teach a child how to hold the pencil correctly?

by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
auntangelofsix
by Angel on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Maks1mommy
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:45 PM
My dd knew how to hold a pencil around the time she learned how to walk, about 10-11 months old. I don't remember exactly, I'd have to look in her baby book.She's left handed, but can use her right hand too.
Maks1mommy
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:46 PM
Shes almost two now and can write "M" but she can't color in the lines or anything.

Quoting Maks1mommy:

My dd knew how to hold a pencil around the time she learned how to walk, about 10-11 months old. I don't remember exactly, I'd have to look in her baby book.She's left handed, but can use her right hand too.
MamaMoopsie
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:52 PM

That's like my two year old. She's primarily left-handed and no one seems to have shown her how to hold the pencil correctly. I think she just picked it up from watching others. I've tried showing my 3 year old and telling her and even showing her how her sister holds her pencil and she says "I like it this way," so I'm thinking she's just being stubborn.

They can both write A, C, H, O, and Q without something to look at for an example. My three year old can do M, too. She still struggles with coloring in the lines, but I found a book that had pictures with raised lines and it's teaching her control. She prefers drawing her own pictures though.

Quoting Maks1mommy:

Shes almost two now and can write "M" but she can't color in the lines or anything.

Quoting Maks1mommy:

Maks1mommy
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:55 PM
It could have something to do with being left handed. I wouldn't worry about it though.
I never showed my dd how to use one either, I think it's something she observed.
All kids are different!

Quoting MamaMoopsie:

That's like my two year old. She's primarily left-handed and no one seems to have shown her how to hold the pencil correctly. I think she just picked it up from watching others. I've tried showing my 3 year old and telling her and even showing her how her sister holds her pencil and she says "I like it this way," so I'm thinking she's just being stubborn.

They can both write A, C, H, O, and Q without something to look at for an example. My three year old can do M, too. She still struggles with coloring in the lines, but I found a book that had pictures with raised lines and it's teaching her control. She prefers drawing her own pictures though.

Quoting Maks1mommy:

Quoting Maks1mommy:

maggiemaymoomoo
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:25 PM

I honestly don't remember when 3 of mine learned.  I do remember that in Pre-K, that was something that was stressed.  However, my 4th child is 10 and still doesn't hold his the 'correct' way.  He has the neatest handwriting and his cursive is prettier than mine is.  He can also draw the most detailed drawings, all while holding his pencil 'incorrectly'.  After 1st grade, his teachers stopped trying to correct him, because he obviously had good control of the pencil.  I would say don't worry too much about it.

DixieFlower
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this

My oldest hasn't learned completely yet. He still has to use a pencil guide. I bought one at a local school supply store. You put it on the pencil and it puts their fingers in the right spot.

MamaMoopsie
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:53 PM

I will have to try that. I'm not worried about it, she's still learning, but I think she'd have a lot more control if she could hold her pencil at least semi-correctly.

Quoting DixieFlower:

My oldest hasn't learned completely yet. He still has to use a pencil guide. I bought one at a local school supply store. You put it on the pencil and it puts their fingers in the right spot.

louzannalady
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:21 PM
I introduced writing at eighteen months and DS1 picked up on holding it properly right away. He is very organizated and particular about things like that. Some kids just do things right away. Others, it takes trial and error and learn it a little later. Some kids (I used to work in the schools) just take longer. : )
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviasMommy611
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:37 PM
2 or 3
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN