Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Getting your kids electronic things? What's the right age?

Posted by   + Show Post

My SD has been wanting a Nintendo DS since she was 6 years old when she saw a friend who was turning 4 get one for her birthday. I felt that at that age my SD was not responsible enough for one. I also felt that she didn't need to constantly be playing a game when she could be outside playing. Well, she finally got one for Christmas. She's nine now, but will be ten in February. She's shown me throughout the last year that she can take care of her stuff and she's one of those kids who won't spend all her time on it. I mean, she loves it, but even as I write this she's looking at a math book called The Magic of Math. This is her free time so she could be playing on the DS and it wouldn't bother me.

Perhaps each kid is different and another child may have been responsible enough before now to have one, but I think we really picked the right age.

Not to mention I love it when she plays that thing! The two games she has keep her very entertained and she even tries to involve her little sisters in playing it. She doesn't complain about being bored or that her sisters are bugging her.

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Replies (11-20):
Pammi86
by Pamela on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I will not be buying a ds for my daughter until she is in 1st grade. However, she does have Tag Jr and will be getting a Leap Pad in the next year or so!

goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:47 AM

My dd is 10 and has a NintendoDS for a few years at least, and got a laptop a couple years ago. She's in 4th grade and can do all her homework online if she wanted too so I'm glad we got her one.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Everyone is different...no set age...just when I see that they are ready....

Knightquester
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I made my children pay for their first DS with their own money.  This meant they had to save up for almost two years worth of Christmas and birthday money they got from other family members (since we do not give money to our kids as presents).  So my kids ended up being around 6/7 years old (depending on the child) when they got their first DS because they all started saving the year before.  All four children have their DS's in well loved but great conditions still.

My two older ones have mostly outgrown theirs and only use them if we are going on long car trips (usually out of state).  They have expressed an interest in learning to program on the computer and doing more complex stuff.  All of my children took such good care of their electronics that this last Christmas I got my two older ones a laptop (partly for school reasons) and my two younger ones a 3DS.  The younger ones will donate their DS's to children of friends of ours that are financially struggling and don't buy such devices for their children ever.

I will say this much my children have never been ones to choose a DS over playing outside with their friends or family game night.  So, if your child is the type to get sucked into a device it might be something you may want to hold off buying.

MichelleMc
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh a disclaimer on the 3DS even the Manuf. doesn't want anyone under 7 to own one because of 3D. It actually can effect their vision. So if you do choose to get your child under 7 one, your game store should be responsible & tell you ( ours did when we were going to buy one for hubby & they weren't sure who we were buying it for LOL. We didn't, just pricing ), but just an FYI. It is bad for children under the age of 7, it can effect their vision. Yeah for sure one to stay away from. If still going for one for a child under 7 ( I would say even 7 ) go with one of other versions. 

DixieFlower
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Oh I didn't think you were saying I was wrong. Just that it looked like I was the odd man out here. I agree that the electronics shouldn't be all they play with which is why we have the rules we have with ours. They only have 30 mins each day and they don't play with them outside of the house.

Quoting MamaMoopsie:

I'm not saying you're wrong. I think how each parent handles letting their kids use electronics is just as important as WHEN you let your child have their own device. My tablet has a few educational games and a drawing app that I let my kids play on, but it is understood that the tablet is not their personal toy. I first started letting SD use my tablet because my DH was working so much away from home and she was missing him a lot, so I got words with friends on my tablet and they'd play that and get some time in together even though he was far away.

I think it was the fact that a lot of people I know personally gave their kids their own electronics at a very young age and that's ALL the kid did was play on the tablet, DS, Wii, or what have you and they didn't know how to entertain themselves without them.

Quoting DixieFlower:

Guess I'm the odd one out here. When I got my ipad I let my sons use it also. I put several educational apps on it. My youngest who is two loves the baby signs app as well as one that teaches shapes and colors. For Christmas this year we bought my oldest son (who is almost 4yrs old) a Nabi2. Both of my sons only get 30 mins a day with either the ipad or the Nabi2. They have plenty of other toys that they play with as well as getting to play outside.

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Ds1 Got his ds from my parents about 7 or 8 yr old but we got him a dsi at 10 yr old.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
heathermarie23
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:07 PM

:-/ I'm the worst mom ever!  My son got a laptop at 2.  He has a ds, a tablet, a xbox, and a wii.  On the other hand, he has a bike, a basketball hoop, he plays flag football, and he loves to swim.  My son takes very good care of his things.  They are always charged and put back in the case.  My younger son has a mobigo2.

ImNotKarl
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:30 PM

My son is 2. He has no electronics of his own, however we are getting him an InnoTab for his late birthday present. He's very into his books and loves playing video games with his dad and I, and we plan on getting him the tab for books so we can take them all with us, and a couple little games for when we're in the car. He plays with our DS some days right now using the Pic-to-Chat to doodle and we play Scribblenauts together, but he's honestly much more interested in his cars, his dog, his books, his guitar, and his bike. We'll probably wait until he's much older to get him any more advanced electronics or have them unsupervised.

My husband grew up with his own computer and gaming systems and electronics, and I grew up with almost none most of the time, and we're pretty much the same as far as time management and hobbies go. I guess it's just different with everyone. As long as Cooper shows he can handle the responsibility and knows when it's time to be done, we'll let him play with our DS or play games with us. I think it's just like TV. I let him watch it, but I don't let it take over his life.

splatz
by Sarah on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:40 PM

My son has had a ds since he was 3. But he only plays it maybe a few times a month.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN