Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom of asthmatic kid hyper paranoid about colds

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:05 PM
  • 7 Replies

My two heat old was recently diagnosed with asthma and has had a series of traumatic episodes each time he has gotten a cold in the last two months, culminating with a week long hospital stay from Dec. 26-Jan. 1. 

He is already doing a daily Flovent inhaler and we are on top of his care, with a great pulmonologist. 

He has a cold again and I can't stop worrying. Anyone BTDT and can offer words of comfort?

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
blue_eyes_5
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this

My 2yo was diagnosed @ 6 months old with asthma. Every winter has been rough.

He was on all of this...

AM: FloVent 110 2 puffs, ProAir puffs if needed, 1tsp Zyrtec

PM: Flovent 110 2 puffs, ProAir puffs if needed, Singulair

Plus ProAir every 4 hours as needed & if that wasn't cutting it, he would get nebulizer treatments.

It's hard seeing your child go thru something so uncontrollable. We started using essential oils. Actually I started using them for his eczema, a friend gave me some samples from the company she was with. The eczema was cleared up in a couple of days so I ordered a kit from that company & it had a blend of oils in it & we started using that to work on the asthma. I slowly started backing off on the maintenance meds.

He was medfree after 4 weeks of using the essential oil blend & has been med free for a month now. AND the essential oils we use are antibacterial, antifungal, anti viral.....this is the first winter ever he has not been sick (none of my kids have been, actually....I have 5 total & 3 of them are in public school)

I'm new to this site, but I assume there is a way to message people, so if you have any questions, feel free to message me & hopefully I can figure it out to see it ;)

Pammi86
by Pamela on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

My dd has asthma and got pnemonia. That was scary! But the world is full of colds and other things our kids can get! You just have to protect them the best you can and deal with what comes next!

AleaKat
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Iv had asthmas since I was 6 and was admitted to the hospital almost every fall like clockwork.
You just need to learn to recognize the first symptoms and catch it early
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoBrenna
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

My dd was recently diagnosed with asthma but hers is mild and the Flovent is working very well. She has only needed her rescue inhaler 3 times in the last 3 weeks which is much better than the 1-3 times a day she needed before the Flovent. Just stay on top of it and use his meds as directed and needed as far as rescue meds go. 

Cindelro
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Thanks everyone! I'm just really scared that every cold is going to turn into a major episode, and haven't been able to relax or sleep well even though DS has been home from hospital for two weeks! The worry is crippling, so I appreciate any words of support or encouragement.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Hugs...just keep watch on him and call your drs. with any concerns...

LyTe684
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Been there before. My son used to take Pulmicort, but as per his pulmonologist, it wasn't aggressive enough.

He was put on Advair diskus (100/50), Singulair, and Childrens Claritin daily.. and when he gets sick he changes to the 250/50 Advair diskus until he felt better. For rescue we use Xopenex. The first sign of that nasty bark we upped everything. If the bark continued for a few days, we went and got his steroids. The doctor always made sure there was a prescription at the pharmacy for us to just go pick it up when we knew he needed it.

Several Bronchitis, Croup, and pneumonia diagnoses later, we finally figure his triggers, how to avoid them and how to catch the symptoms early on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)